It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant spider stories

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: doorhandle

originally posted by: Biigs
what the hell possess people to approach a spider that big?

hit it with a 6 foot stick and nail it.

spiders freak me out i wouldnt be getting that close to any of them.

Or instead of killing a harmless living creature you could try a capture it and put it outside. Do you kill everything that scares you?

Harmless? I'm pretty sure that a spider of that size could cause some harm. And it's not like the guy was strolling through the jungle/forest/etc. this spider was in HIS house. When a bug/animal does a B&E into my place (similar to a human), they are fair game at my own discretion...

But lets be real, that spider in the clip was sent from hell......

Lets identify some of the spiders characteristics
- Gigantic
- Olympic speeds
- Apparently played in the NBA and knows how to jump
- Wants to eat me and all my family/friends

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
big scary spiders are not cuddly animals, if theres one crawling around my bedroom im not going to just say "oh yeah a huge hairy spider no problem" and sleep. you cant catch it, it leaps.

you hit it with a stick and put it in the bin.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: doorhandle
To be fair, any bug that is ever found in our house, be it a flyer or crawler, we always get it on a piece of paper and take it outside. My wife does this too because she saw me doing it when we first started living together and it caught on with her. Now, all of my kids do the same thing. But spiders.....they always die. I cannot trust them. Wild spiders are too unpredictable to handle, even though only two(brown recluse & black widow) here are poisoness, I still don't want to get bit.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Fylegje: That's fair enough, I appreciate there are some very dangerous, poisenous spiders about..maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'harmless'. It just seems to be automatic reation to most people (not just in this thread) to want to kill something purely because it scares them. But do you really need to kill a spider to stop it? Giant or not its not like they'd the size of a cow or anything..theyre still pretty small.
edit on 0120142014Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:15:11 -050012pm901MondayAmerica/Chicago by doorhandle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Lol, and in truth a giant spider would scare the bejjebus out if me, i'd I probably get my girlfriend to take care of it anyway..humanly of course.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I seriously want swear such profanities at you fro posting that.

But Im the idiot that pressed play.

I thought the thing was a fake but the speed at which it jumped seemed all to similar to a white tail jumping at me and a mate trying to do something similar.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

originally posted by: Biigs
i saw the thread title and all i could think of is this you tube clip of a huge scary spider leaping at this person

The simple solution to the clip is you burn your house down......

You shouldn't advise me of such or put ideas in my head.

Its my mothers house and I would be homeless, Oh and chances are the spider would get out quicker that you could

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
I would've shot it with my pistol and I'm not even kidding.

Pistol?

.44 at least I hope.

12 round minimum to take out that sucker

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My rule of thumb for insects is always capture and release.

Unless its in my bed. Then it dies.

Also i think that video is fake. Spiders that large don't move that fast.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Retikx
My rule of thumb for insects is always capture and release.

Unless its in my bed. Then it dies.

Also i think that video is fake. Spiders that large don't move that fast.

They actually do.

There is literally a spider called a jumping spider, and its fast. it might only jump once or twice before making its get away but they are certainly very real

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

this is about as large as jumping spiders get.

fc02.deviantart.net...

A spider that big cant move that quickly, spiders are very fragile creatures.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Retikx

Spiders that large don't move that fast.

Not that large but have you heard of huntsman spiders, they can get pretty big.

They move in a speed that shocks you when you see them move.

A spider that big cant move that quickly, spiders are very fragile creatures.

I hope you never come across a huntsman.

australianmuseum.net.au...
edit on 1-9-2014 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Yes im aware of the species, what im saying is large tarantulas do not jump. They have very fragile legs that can be injured or easily snapped off by a very short distance fall. Ive seen it happen.

They can move quickly along the ground or walls yes. But do not jump in the manor displayed in the video.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
im not sure it so much jumps and just fall off the wall to be honest.

either way, thats a huge spider and i for one would not get anywhere near the damned thing.

i dont know if its venomous or not, im no spider expert. i dont claim to know anything 100%, the biggest we get in the UK are "wolf spiders" but they arnt very big and dont bit, they are ugly and creepy and hairy but just an inch or so in size. they mostly run away if you go near them.

im not an arachnophobia sufferer, but damn anything bigger than an inch will get killed in my house, thats a fact.

all the hippys saying "be nice and humane and remove them" are mad with a huge insect like that

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Retikx
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Yes im aware of the species, what im saying is large tarantulas do not jump. They have very fragile legs that can be injured or easily snapped off by a very short distance fall. Ive seen it happen.

They can move quickly along the ground or walls yes. But do not jump in the manor displayed in the video.

the spider in the video is a bloody face hugger, and i think it is a genuine video

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

As with most insects the larger they are the less poisonous they are.

Deadly:
4.bp.blogspot.com...

Not deadly:
img.geocaching.com...

Deadly: (About an inch)
www.projectnoah.org...

not deady:
i302.photobucket.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Retikx

what im saying is large tarantulas do not jump.

How many different types of tarantulas are there? The way it moved seemed real, the accelerated speed when taking off looks real in my experience.

White tail spiders are said not to jump as well but I've seen it happen

yes but you initially said

A spider that big cant move that quickly

which is what I and I assume Biigs was replying too.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The worst insect indecent i had was with a red ant colony i rolled into one summer day, damn those bites hurt like hell.

Also a few wasp stings, one time i joined a large road on my motorbike and i felt a wriggle on my neck and then amazing pain as a wasp stings me on my neck, i have to ride 6 miles for the next turn in agony.

spiders though thankfully are not a problem here.

I hear they got some big ones in Australia that love to hide in your boots, thats an unpleasant surprise

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

i dont know if its venomous or not, im no spider expert. i dont claim to know anything 100%, the biggest we get in the UK are "wolf spiders" but they arnt very big and dont bit, they are ugly and creepy and hairy but just an inch or so in size. they mostly run away if you go near them.

Most large spiders aren't venomous or as venomous as one might expect when a small spider can be dangerous (like a red back or funnel web) one assumes the larger the more dangerous.

Actually I hate to point it out but Wolf spiders are or were a few years back considered to be in the top ten of most toxic venomous spiders, cant remember exactly where it was on the list but close to or 10 I believe.

Now not sure if that list was for Australia only and the wolf spiders in Australia are more venomous than their British brothers, so sorry to freak you out.

Pay back I guess for the video

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join