It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gangs and their symbols:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
well it is really funny but not funny if ya know what I mean. I moved house recently and went to the local park and sat on a bench that had a symbol on it... then after my dog had run about for a while, I had to go to the public toilet and it was being cleaned when I got there so I waited at another park bench and omg... both benches were 'owned' and everybody who lives here knows if the symbol is seen... you don't sit there. I didn't know anything about it.

They need to provide little booklets for people who don't know about this social protocol.

Gangs exist and it is part of society. Graffiti is a big part of it.
If your not in a gang, how is a person supposed to know what the graffiti means?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

Looks like you moved to the wrong side of town.
Should anyone confront you just remain polite and let it be known you aren't familiar with gang culture. You'll get a pass more often than not. After that, try to stay away from those areas.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueMessiah

thanks for the advice.

issue is one bench was for a gang and the other was for the police to sit at. lmao
I sat on both of them. hahahhha (if they want to communicate with each other, they sit and wait on the benches and negotiate)

About a week after that my Son went out hunting and brought home a buck and because of the dogs, he put it hanging from the gutter of the house out the front to dry out so the dogs wouldn't chew it.

well it is really hilarious because a random approached me and started asking me questions... "what did the skull mean" etc. I explained why the buck skull was there and he left.

In some areas, your not allowed to walk on footpaths !! You have to cross the road. The houses are marked and when you are out walking, you have to cross the road and then after you walk past that house, you can walk back on the footpath.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Truth be told Gangs don't own squat.

They tagged it, Growing up myself as a typical L.A. street kid. I've seen all types of tagging with all types of symbols and sayings, Most if not all being simply moronic boasting. You see, gang members come and go, most of them not because they grow out of it but rather because many end up fertilizing daisy's

Having said that, due to their over important unrealistic view of themselves and the world around them it is best to avoid the area while they congregate in numbers *so as to give each other a false sense of importance.

The few gang members I did get to know while growing up amongst them knew I wasn't into playing their game and they respected me for not buying into their mentality.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

LOL I wish I had read this info 5 months ago:

www.bigfooty.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Gang "sign" is usually intended for rival gangs. Civvies or "squares" or whatever they call them these days aren't targeted in general. Gang activity is about turf (control of territory), "borders" are "tagged" or marked with individual gang logos like animals piss on stuff to let each other know who's boss (in their world).

Turf war is about "business", messing with the locals only draws more attention from the police so is avoided for the most part. Try not to dis (respect) them and if told about this or that by a gang member politely nod and move on your way.

You don't have to "leave the area" you live there, too.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

thx
I am not having too many problems anymore but I was surprised to learn of this protocol.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Gangs are organizations where a leader takes advantage of the lower levels of the gang tricking them into thinking they are a big family but its all for profit and they extort the members to no end.

Are you sure its gang graffiti and not "bombing"? Bombing is the practice of placing graffiti in as many places as possible by one person or crew to get noticed in the tagging community while avoiding being caught by police. Its not the same as gang territory marking. Crews often have three letter names similarly to gangs so its easy to mix them up.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Should have told the random person that the skull was for anti-gang death hoodoo.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There's good advice here, the resident ATS pro gun forum gang would most likely tell you to arm yourself with the largest guns you can carry and introduce them to everyone that looks even remotely like a gang member and perform some "pro active self defense".

(I.E. murder everyone that looks at you cockeyed)

I would listen to the more sane suggestions in this thread though.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Aural

I am not sure about any of it. Some houses are marked, pavements etc...so that means 'cross the road'.

Even some car parks are marked so you can't park there.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

yes LOL ...

comedy of errors around here.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: HauntWok

yes thank you. I haven't resorted to any type of gang war.

My dogs are great. If anyone starts up stuff in the street, I let my dogs out.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: HauntWok

Hey now, not the largest. The most effective.

Legal to carry concealed where I live. I keep wanting to buy one but, meh. It would be fun once or twice.

-----

So is it actually an issue? I see stuff tagged and don't think twice. That doesn't seem intended for random people enjoying the park.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

no guns over here where I live... Australia.
maybe illegal guns but the general public don't have guns.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Some gang info here
www.riss.net...
gangs.umd.edu...

and an app that is in development for automatic gang graffiti recognition called GARI. I couldnt find it though so either not publicly available or not ready yet.

Also look into graffiti culture so you understand writers (graffiti artists) and crews how they differ from gangs in that they only care about being noticed, making art, or making statements.

Graffiti terminology (only term they are missing is stencil and info about wheat pasting)
www.graffiti.org...

CREW
A loosely organized group of writers who also tag the crew initials along with their name. Crew names are usually three letters, many times ending with "K", which stands for "kings" or "kills" in most cases. Some crew names are just two letters, some are four, it all depends.

I think if you see graffiti with a crown that is poorly drawn its better to avoid that area. If its well rendered its probably fine as it is common although tacky. The crown means king. Obviously a bad artist is not a king of the game so a person is either a narcissist or a gang member if they use that symbol.

Also maybe keep this in mind although the crossout sometimes happens in the graffiti community as well it usually is them covering over someone elses work rather than crossing it out.

Street gangs routinely use graffiti to challenge and disrespect rival gang sets and nations. Gangs will post their symbol but invert, break and/or cross out the rival gang’s or nation’s symbol. They will post derogatory gang terms like Crabs, Slobs, etc. They will usually do this in a conspicuous place so the challenge is clear and they attain notoriety in that neighborhood. It is important to identify new graffiti and remove it. A new challenge is usually indicative of an imminent problem, one that should be anticipated and addressed.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Ahh. I gathered that you weren't allowed to own guns and was just trying to ruffle tail feathers with the other guy. I thought UK though. I carry a gun, but certainly don't advocate shooting anyone unless there's no other choice. One of my greatest fears is having to take someone's life in self defense. I can't imagine the guilt I would feel even though I would be justified. I'd rather get beat black and blue, spit on, insulted, robbed or anything else. Gun comes out only when I'm afraid for my life or that of someone else. Most people in the US that carry guns feel the same way. It's a huge responsibility.

I didn't ever think of Australia having gang problems. I suppose everyone does though.

I've always lived in places where this isn't a problem, though I've worked in places where it was. My take on the thing is that if you're not involved no one cares where you go for the most part. Or what you sit on. Again, I have no idea, especially not in a country far away.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

thank you for the information. It is helpful.

anyway, I know what the gang symbol is and their name. Too scared to take a pic of it and post it up. Saw another one on the pavement around the corner from where I live.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I dont really worry about gangs. I live near where MS-13 is supposed to be but never hear any new news of them for whatever reason but i guess i dont watch a lot of news though. I hear more news about white trash than i do gangs.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

oh gee, I am even too scared to say who they are...

it is different over here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join