It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Spooky'' Quantum Entanglement Reveals Invisible Objects

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

SO what if sending out a beam of light into space while keeping its counterpart here on earth.

no no no, it doesn't work this way! read the text

After the red light passed by the objects, the physicists ran it together with the yellow laser beam at both parallel and right angles.

.. to get the interference and see the picture

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: KrzYma

Sure I get it. But I am speculating that there could be a quantum state to photons that while in transition between regular photon state and this alternative that the same thing holds true. Imagine if there is no limit to distance since "distance" / space and time are only on one side of the the fluctuating states. You could interact with the photon on our side and have it bounce out and back in regular time and space in between quantum states.

I am assuming allot, but whats not to say?
edit on 8 30 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

would be nice indeed, it would also be cool to have a holodeck like in starship enterprise, unfortunately some stays to SCI FI only..

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

If we could transform photons into matter I think we could just go to bed. We would be done. We win.

LOL

What if you could transform photons into anything though. Have a photon leave regular space and time and have a totally new particle emerge from a quantum state.

edit on 8 30 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Einstein was right... its spooky.

Imagine taking pictures of your insides or even nude pictures of you full clothed without your knowledge.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Like those mail order xray glasses that used to be in comics.

oh crap, I'm old

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

If we could transform photons into matter I think we could just go to bed. We would be done. We win.

LOL

What if you could transform photons into anything though. Have a photon leave regular space and time and have a totally new particle emerge from a quantum state.

E = mc². It’s one of the most basic and fundamental equations throughout astrophysics. But it does more than suggest that mass and energy are interconnected, it implies that light can be physically transformed into matter.

www.universetoday.com... y-to-turn-light-into-matter/

Beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Hell exists, I think even Hidden_Hand mentioned this. However, as stated before, it's probably reserved only for the worst of dictators and warlords, and that's for a long time. The lesser ones will probably get a shorter time. In most cases, you will probably get reincarnated to a worse situation, and that doesn't sound as easy as people think. Imagine reincarnating back to the Dark Ages and doing menial work for a few times(the length of time of doing anything negative is always not so welcoming).

The Grand Judge or what is called The Living Tribunal in the X-Men is probably very fair(nice picture of him too. He's one level below the Grand Creator, whose job is to create souls). And that stuff about the Infinity Gems is probably true also. I know the Heart of Infinity is true(seriously, the X-Men makers need to start making movies about these characters already. Make sure to include Psylocke, Jubilee, who is an Asian character, and Dazzler also.)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I could probably never understand the implications (or even if there are any) of this experiment in regard to understanding consciousness (though I do believe in the possibility that consciousness is like a wavelength with brains - and who knows what else as receptors). However if you use it as an analogy for consciousness it gets you going in a weird spiritual direction (with the ignorant entanglement cat being a fuzzy much less defined version of the original).

Also, wasn't Schroedinger's cat just his own joke version of an Einstein (or someone elses) theory and he didn't teach it or whatever, but wrote it in a letter to Einstein and didn't really want it to be pushed.

Would he have been known for anything else if not for that damn cat simulation of the powder keg supposition concept, or would he have been know at all?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This opened a whole new can worms. So on one end you have a light source hitting an object that puts a shadow on the wall. On the other end you have no object, but the light particles are going around the object like it was there. So now we could send a holographic image or communicate at any distance. Now we just need to figure out how to create a pair of quantum entangle cubes and encapsulate the cat inside the one cube and teleport the cat to the other cube.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

very cool...i wish i was smarter....what i am gathering is that what i see happen is only part of what actually happens....as my brain is limited to what i know..(at least what i think i know)

What happened was there were two laser pointers, one red, one yellow. And they entangled them so that whatever happened to the red laser happens to the yellow one.

Then they shone the red laser through stencils, creating a shadow on the wall. When they shone the yellow laser, it had the same shadow even though it hadn't gone through a stencil!

This means that you could take an x-ray of someone and then use a projector in a different part of the room to show it on the wall.
edit on 31amSun, 31 Aug 2014 01:50:46 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

LOL

not even close
but as a species we could finally stop all this shortsightedness and put an end to making small amounts of immediate personal gain higher priority than long term betterment for the species
(and all greedy backstabby bs that comes with it.....most of which is already completely unnecessary)

the technology is advancing quickly its only a matter of time until we live in a complete post scarcity world
what happens to our traditional power structures and ways of life then?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Now we have the technology to build the sunglasses from that movie "They Live" !!!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
What a cool experiment - thank you so much for posting (and including the pics!)

Now, I've only had one sip of my morning coffee, so please forgive me... but how is this (in your view) connected to verifying the reality of consciousness? I can't quite make that connection, but I'd like to.

I know you didn't address this question to me personally, but I felt compelled to provide my opinion just the same.

IMO, these experiments that provide proof of quantum entanglement should be a big "WAKE-UP-CALL" for all of humanity.

Quantum entanglement involves a lot more than just photons, it involves everything. It proves that everything affects everything else. So in essence, it proves that every thought we have, every word we speak and every action we take affects everything and everyone, across this planet and beyond. Kinda like the new Geico commercial where the loner cowboy Jessie, finds out that words actually can hurt you, only it's real.

In other words, IMO, It's impossible to harm someone or something else without also harming yourself and everyone else in the process. The opposite is also true, in that it's impossible to help someone or something else without also helping yourself and everyone else in the process.

I think that's why we currently seem to be stuck in this constant state of war across the planet. We've created a sort of karmic quantum entanglement cycle and it's going to take a "global consciousness awakening" to the fact that "we are the ones" who are creating our own future.

As humanity, I think we have to decide just what kind of future it is that we want and begin to consciously guide our thoughts, words and actions towards achieving that goal. IT'S OUR CHOICE!

To theabsolutetruth, F&S for the OP!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

That's interesting. Creating matter from light is possibly the biggest step for humanity, so many possibilities. Let's hope the good only can access this and it is used for good purpose.
edit on 31-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

That says it well, good observation.

Humanity should certainly see this as a wake up call and see that the world is more than mere physical entities.

Considered action and constructive consciousness is essential for the holistic evolution of humanity towards good. At the moment it's on a course to destruction and that should be avoided.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Thanks for answering the question, I appreciate it! And, theabsolutetruth, I really appreciated your response to my question as well. You have both shared a helpful context for seeing how proving entanglement might be related to the concept of consciousness.

I think it is funny to recall that Einstein called this "spooky action from a distance" in sort of a mocking way. He thought the concept was ridiculous and, while it tidied up some equations it would never prove real experimentally. He thought we just didn't understand the big picture and that this "spooky action" would turn out to be nothing spooky at all - and would ultimately someday fit into classical models. And now ... here we are.

Someone asked if Schrödinger would be famous if not for his famous cat thought experiment (which, incidentally, he created to also show just how "ridiculous" the idea of this spooky action was - and, yes, it was in written correspondence with Einstein that it came about). Pop culturewise, maybe not... but in scientific circles he would be just as famous. He is a (reluctant) giant in the development of quantum theory and developed the Schrödinger equation (wave equation) - he won the Nobel Prize in Physics. He was never very comfortable with quantum mechanics and theory - and what it all implied. It was all so weird and counter-intuitive (still is). Interesting guy at a fascinating point in the history of science.

OK... I'll lower my nerd flag now.

I have a lot more to say about the possible connection of these experiments with consciousness, but every-time I try to write it out it just sounds like I'm crazy or high as a kite.

Quantum physics makes my brain melt.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

"Here we are"... Einstein might have been impressed if they didn't intersect the light sources after the cat to transfer information via an interference pattern. Perhaps following article might help dispel spooky action at a distance nonsense, its a statistical correlation between measurement results, nothing more....

1) The “changing the state of one of the particles changes the state of the other” claim doesn’t hold up. Entanglement is about correlations between measurements, not the absolute states. Rotating the polarization of one photon doesn’t rotate the polarization of its distant partner, it just changes where you have to look to see the correlation between measurements.

This holds for whatever sort of system you’re looking at. If you’re working with atoms whose internal quantum states are entangled, kicking one of them up to a higher energy state does not change the energy state of the other in a spooky-action-at-a-distance way. All it does is change the nature of the correlation between your eventual measurement results.

2) If you don’t know exactly what happened to each of the two particles, entanglement is really fragile. A lot of “quantum” woo-woo New Age nonsense invokes entanglement between particles as an excuse, and it’s true that, in principle, everything is entangled with everything else, since every particle now in existence was initially packed into a tiny volume just after the Big Bang. But unless you know all of the ways the state of an electron in your brain was rotated in the intervening 13.7 billion years, you’ll never be able to detect the entanglement between it an an electron in somebody else’s brain, in order to form a telepathic connection with them, or whatever wacky thing you think you might be able to do.

3) If you have knowledge or control of the history of two particles, entanglement is pretty robust. You can pass it from one particle to another, or even from one type of particle to another– people have demonstrated quantum teleportation using ytterbium atoms entangled with light, and it works great. It requires you to know exactly what corresponds to what, though, as you move things around, and great care to avoid accidentally changing one of the states in a way that would mess up your measurement.

So, to sum up: Quantum entanglement is a really cool phenomenon, one of the most magical-seeming effects in the theory. It’s got that great history, too– Einstein! Spukhafte fernwirkung! Non-locality!

It’s not magic, though. At least, it’s not that magic. It’s just a correlation between measurement results, not a knob that lets you manipulate the states of distant particles in a magical manner

link

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Umm no. If you could scan the universe from home instantly then it won't work. Remember information cannot travel faster than the speed of light, even with quantum entanglement. So if you cast a beam into the universe and kept an entangled part of it home then even though you may be able to create an image it'd still be restricted to light speed.

I think the practical nature of this is hard for me to understand. I read the article and they say what happened is two beams are entangled and one of them passes through image of cat whereas the other doesn't. The beam which passes through the cat shape is discarded, and hte beam that passes through nothing is used to create the image of the cat.

Note that they couldn't create the image of the cat without the original red beam which passed through it. They knew what to look for and so they could use the beam which passed through notning to create ht image. If this weren't true then they could effectively use this to transfer information instantly. For example, yhou could "scan" something on pluto with beam A and instantly create the image on earth with the entangled beam B. Some kind of coordination which is limited ti light speed happens.

I think this is the key statement from the link in the OP (:

"The phenomena really arises from the interference of the photons together," Lemos says. "It's not that the red photons have changed the yellow ones, it's that quantum mechanics says they have to share [wavelength] phases which we can detect to see a picture."

link

edit on 31-8-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Why did you use some guy's blog to try to prove your point?

There have been experimental evidence for quantum entanglement.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join