It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish Independance on the Streets.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I would like to see an independent Scotland, but independent from everyone, EU/banking cartels/Westminster/The Royals/corrupt corporate sellout politicians, the whole lot. Now I know a yes vote won't get all of that, but I see it as the first step on the truly independent ladder, where there will be real accountability by those that are voted in to run our country. So i will be voting yes in the hope that my children may eventually have a better place to live in than those of my generation have had.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I stumbled on this article from yesterday which is relevant to this thread. Tries to explain some people over exuberance

Zeal of Converts

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Sounds awful mate... but there are racists, xenophobes and nutters and nobs on both sides of the argument.
Just try and read as much info from unbiased sources as you can, ignore the lunatics out on the streets and follow your heart (or your head) and you'll be fine.

Sounds like a UKIP rally or something though, you did very well to keep your cool mate.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think given the topic of this thread this is only fair.

Today I was approached by another guy trying to sell me independence and I have to say

What a difference!!!

The guy i spoke to just wanted to talk about independence he gave good arguments but also acknowledged my own was such a difference from how things were yesterday.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigyin

That article sums up why i think the yes will go through.

Lots of these poles that say x% will vote this way or that way do not tend to go out to the council estates and the multi-flat complexes.

I think that is a huge population in Scotland that will be turning up who have never voted before to tick that yes box.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Your experiences sound regrettable. It reinforces in my mind that this whole independence industry is just polarising the people living in Scotland. When it's over, Scotland will be a sorry place. All the promises made by the "Yes" side could not be fulfilled and the scapegoat will be the English, whether or not Salmond wins his ego trip to glory.

I have to say, as an Englishman I have experienced racism in Scotland. It's all rather sad.

Regards

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Flipping heck!

As for the oil. The barons will steal it whatever. Efficient decommissioning will happen only in fairyland. Fishing grounds for the future are needed, not filthy, oily lucre.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

The clouds of despair caused by the clearances always haunt me in the far north. I look forward to that lifting following the vote. When I travelled through the Highlands recently I saw groups of ghosts standing by the old houses. I've never seen that before, something is stirring.

Document the exuberant power-grabbers. Keep in mind the powerful bloodlines who use arranged marriages to maintain their power structure. The real work starts following the vote. Party at your peril. Good luck.

edit on 3 9 2014 by Kester because: change word

edit on 3 9 2014 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The BBC could not find enough no voters in Dundee and just reading some of the replies in this article about people being attacked ,shop's being set on fire scary stuff

www.thecourier.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I have to say that the **yes** voters sound to me like someone going

through a jaded patch in a relationship and thinking .... that the grass

is greener in another field!! Only to find out once they have jumped

the fence that it's no greener there !!

I read your link, and many of the posts for and against one post that

struck me was >>>>>

Fuarach Bias **England is not the UK, Nor is it England with Wales and

N.Ireland hanging on.

Scotland will still be in the UK after we restore full Nationhood to

ourselves and you** ????????????

Is that really the mentality of the *Yes* voter? We have 'independence'

but are still in the UK? and to take that further Alex Salmond maintains that

after 'independence' Scotland will still use the £ and therefor the Bank

of England
. And the Queen will still be head of state?

How does that work? Picking the cherries of the top of the cake! LOL

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Fuarach Bias **England is not the UK, Nor is it England with Wales and

N.Ireland hanging on.

Scotland will still be in the UK after we restore full Nationhood to

ourselves and you** ????????????

Is that really the mentality of the *Yes* voter? We have 'independence'

but are still in the UK? and to take that further Alex Salmond maintains that

after 'independence' Scotland will still use the £ and therefor the Bank

of England
. And the Queen will still be head of state?

How does that work? Picking the cherries of the top of the cake! LOL

The queen is the head of state of all 53 Commonwealth Countries who with the exception of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are Independent Nations.

The Scandinavian Alliance or The Scandinavian Defense Union exists of Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark, all independent countries. Why would the UK not exist of separate nations ruled independently to share defense and trade perhaps strengthening our island over increasing bureaucracy from Europe? Independence for any nation in Britain will not automatically split it from it's borders and float it off into the sea.

It would be incredibly stupid to suggest that the 18 member states of the EU that use the euro (which include Italy, France and Germany) are not independent countries because they have a central European bank, in a foreign country whom they are responsible for.

13 other countries world wide currently use the £ as their currency albeit not tied to the bank of England but at a similar or equal exchange rate which if no currency union is agreed is an option which includes walking away from any liability for the UK's national debt. This is not an option for Westminster. England are Scotland's biggest import and export market it is in everyone's interest to minimise disruption and uncertainty over currency.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Further to Scotscorps84 post above, just to add that I would contend that an Independent Scotland will not be part of the remaining UK (England, Wales and N Ireland) but it will still be part of the British Isles and therefore British.

Hoping for a Yes vote on the 18th

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Firstly it's not an ego trip by Salmond. Salmond is the leader of a political party that has been in existence from 1934, before the Second World War and before oil was discovered. The referendum is not about Salmond. The question on the paper is Do you think Scotland should be an Independent Country.

Salmonds party is the SNP, but the Yes movement is made up of SNP Party members, Labour Party members, Green Party members, other less well known political parties such as SSP and people from all sorts of other organisations, in business, in health, in education. The fire fighters are for independence, the police are for independence, the transport union are for independence. many many different organisations as well as individuals. Even some in England.

So to say its all about Salmond just shows how little attention you have been paying.

edit on 5-9-2014 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2014 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Looking at the polls they are pretty equal and I just hope whoever wins Yes or No respects the outcome and not have a riot or such.
BTW If a No vote is made can we in the rest of the UK have a vote on whether we want Scotland in the UK?

That is a little joke btw.
I love Scotland and visit it at least once a year and will continue either way.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Actually south of birmingham there is a large percentage who are misled into believing England is carrying scotland and so want to see Scotland break away, we in the north of England for the majority actually realise it is the opposite and being mostly labour votor's we fear a Tory dominated England as Scotland has always been a very strong group of labour seats in parliament who have more than once tipped the balance against the hooray harry club.

I think scotland will go independant and I think Britain is finished except for the rich snob's and for the working class it is a dark day, perhaps scotland will get it's act together without england and perhaps it will be for the better but not for us in northern england (Except the right winger's), of course Wale's is watching very closely as they may want there own referendum based on the outcome.

I wish I lived north of the border though if the Scot's vote out as England is very much two country's as you know, the north and the south.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Thanks I was going down the same route just didn't word it as well as I could have.

I find it hard to believe how any Scot who has done their research in the last few years can say No.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join