It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hernando's Hideaway. Another Thread "almost certainly not for you."

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

First time here at Hernando's. Course, I've been hanging out at the Shed, of course there, I can write a bit. Between the two though, I would say we both have quite the support group going on.

I've been sidling up to the bar for for quite a while now and listening in and thought I should at least be polite and say Hi.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Theyre finding that video games actually help prevent / slow the onset of things like alzheimers in older people ..

Not have pc here as use my tab3 for everything .. theres a couple games that play on it .. oh edo towns and galaxy on fire 2 .. I stay away from online games as too much idiocy from kids with mummy and daddies credit card on them ..

Played civilization on my old java mobile not found an android version .. shame as it good game

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

I'm glad to see you're still upright. I thought that third beer would bring you to your knees. (As you know, that's a joke. I would expect you to have your third beer my the time you got to your table.)

My daughter and I are grateful for your kind thoughts and suggestions. She has always been physically driven. A few years ago she was ranked as one of the ten best women rock climbers in the state. Then came the massive nerve. muscle, and ligament damage. Four hospitals told her it could not be treated except by delicate surgery which could very easily freeze her left side. Then, Mayo. No help there.

Significant internal damage, bleeding and diarrhea, as I mentioned. She's now sterile and in great grief.

She has done some work with chiropractors and acupuncture. My understanding is that acupuncture offers relief for about two days.

She has more and more firmly turned down my offer to live with me. That subject's closed. Besides, with her car destroyed she could never make her medical appointments. I live an hour south of her.

Meh.. modern world people have no honour it all money.. money.. money.. damn money .. am stuck in wrong century I belong more in 17th century japan than in modern world ...

Obviously you're right. I'd settle for anyone who honored eternal things; honor, truth, beauty, or anything beyond one's personal acquisitiveness.

Could we find, in the United States, enough people to recreate the 47 Ronin?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Welcome .. yep bar well stocked here .. which is good nothing worse than bar running dry .. well marriage but thats pure evil and a category all its own ..

It relaxed here and you can write as well if you like ..

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I think that coming up with the 47 Ronin, or even 4700 Ronin would be easy here in the States. The thing is, there will 47,000 opposing. For whatever reason.

And the cycle continues.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

TDAWGREX!!!!! Hail fellow, well met! I'm really glad you're here. I can't tell you how much this place has suffered from not having a barking dinosaur.

"Sidling up to the bar?" That's it? Find out who is behind the bar tonight and ask for anything you want. First night is on me. And if you're really, really, lucky Mrs. guohua has some dinner left. I don't know what you smoke, we've only got three or four pipe blends at the moment, but all our cigars are Cigar Aficionado 90 + rated. And we've even got a box of the Alec Bradley "Prensado." It's rated 96 and was the 2011 "Cigar of the Year."

But after tonight you have to start paying your own tab. That means you have to offer something in exchange. A thought, opinion, complaint, joke, anything to build us up. Truth and Love, that's us. (Oh, and eating, drinking, and smoking.)

What's on your mind tonight?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Thanks, TDawgRex, very encouraging. I thought that band was unusual and exemplary even in their own time, and I was getting cynical about America's ability to produce such men. But, it's been a long time since I was in the military, and some memories have faded.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

I liked, no well, loved the Shed originally because it was a collaborative story for those who did not have "writer" status. Somehow, the MODs in their wisdom allowed it to stay. It has morphed into a support group as well.

This place is very similar. It feels...homey.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

No. No diabetes. She's vegan for the last 15 years and has no excess weight at all. Thanks for the help you're giving her.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
What's on your mind tonight?

Nothing much...other than depression..or boredom. I get the two mixed up. Got a lot on my plate as well and see no easy way out.

Guess it's time to buckle down.

But a good drink and a meal does usually cheer me up. (Quit smoking...unless you count vaping occasionally) But I do miss my Cubanos back in the days I was in the Balkans. Those were a great way to end the day after mission.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

You've got it, TDawgRex, it is homey. From the bar, to the meals, to the over stuffed chairs that are never all taken, I think we see each other as friends. There is no fighting for gain or glory, opinions are expressed and explored without anger, and people here care about each other.

It's a strange thing, but somehow, "unsuitable" people just leave on their own, or don't bother to enter. That's why I labeled the thread as "almost certainly not for you." The "you" I've been seeing lately are angry, close-minded people, who enjoy taunting or beating people, or some other anti-social activity. It's like we've been covered with a force field. The people with "The Right Stuff" come in and find a home, the others don't make much of an impact at all.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Checking in before bed.

It seems my grandfather may be going away quicker than anticipated ... *sigh*

As for video games, I consider anything that is a game and plays on my computer to be one, so yes, Tropico and Civ qualify. I have Civ V myself. I like sims of all kinds from the infamous Sims to the one my husband got me which is an early release Beta of a plague simulator.

I've spent my afternoon hypothetically infecting the world with everything from a bacterial plague to brain worm. Right now, I'm actually stymied by the zombie apocalypse of all things. I can't get the initial plague to fly under the world's radar and spread long enough, fast enough to go unnoticed before I turn it into full blown zombies. The world always notices and begins appropriate countermeasures too early.

The closest I've gotten is to destroy the world with Iceland, Greenland, and the Philippines left standing and uninfected ... and for some reason Poland of all places managed to survive, too. Don't ask how that happened because I have no idea.

So, yes, It's a macabre game, but you can name your diseases ... so that's fun. I do believe infecting the US at least once with Rabid Liberalism made me smile (no offense to anyone who doesn't share that ideological sentiment).

And today of all days I need my smiles.

And in November, I'll disappear to play Dragon Age: Inquisition when it releases. It's more action oriented, but the company usually does a good job of making me feel like I'm playing through a movie or novel, and I can feel good about playing it over and over because the story usually changes enough to make the game different.

I guess like books and movies and TV, video games are just another way to escape, and they're a little more actively involved than the other forms of entertainment which, books aside, are more or less passive.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Dear ketsuko, of course I'm sad for you. There's nothing I can tell you except that many here understand. We won't feel the same suffering you have, and will, but we can all recognize it.

Well, maybe there is something I can say. The emptiness and loss won't last forever, and we'll be right here for you, anytime we're wanted.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Thank you, I didn't understand. I'm encouraged by your work with the plague simulator. If you can't destroy the world, then we're certainly safe from the powers that be, the Illuminati, the Vatican or the Masons. I can sleep peacefully tonight.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Hey Charles!

I'm sitting down to my last Fuente and in need of some sanity.

ATS has me a bit jaded tonight.

Any words of wisdom or humor?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I think my sig says it all. And I do believe it. I come from a family of adventurers and wild child's and needless to say, we all don't get along.

But acknowledging others experiences and the lessons passed is a good thing. Let your Grandpa know that. And that you have learned from his past.

If only more of us would learn from the past we would be much richer.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Hey Charles!

How's this? Courtesy of the Beez. From a thread I'm participating in and asked him to help.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

TDawgRex, don't feel sorry for yourself, look at me. Football season has started and I live in Minnesota. Guaranteed depression, boredom, and disappointment.

If you spend much time on ATS I can understand the depression but not the boredom. Pick nearly any thread at random, and I suspect you'll be yelling at the posters within three pages.

This probably doesn't relate to you, but I've heard that, as the days grow shorter and we lose sunshine, our mood goes down. I think it's called "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (Catchy acronym, that).

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Hey Charles!

How's this? Courtesy of the Beez. From a thread I'm participating in and asked him to help.

I am laughing......but I can't eat fries, too many carbs!

Damn you!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It's a weird thing. Part of me wants to cry about it, but the cold side of me acknowledges that I've never been that close to my dad's side of the family. I'm not sure what it is I'm feeling.

I know my husband will get to me and get it out of me sooner or later. He's a master at getting me to let things go when I'm determined not to. But that's likely one of the many, many reasons why I married him.

Worry more about me after this weekend. That's when I'll likely have my final real visit with him. My dad just called to tell me that I should plan on a visit after the football game this weekend. I tried to tell dad that we'd sell our tickets this weekend if it made things easier, and he kept telling me we'd have plenty of time after the game ...

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join