It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hernando's Hideaway. Another Thread "almost certainly not for you."

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Guohua! I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you. Did I overhear you offering to hold hands with Expat888?

a reply to: charles1952
Yes, I did, he was looking a Little Pale,,,,, From To much REST I think,,,,,,, I don't Truly Believe Expat has had this Much Free Time and Rest or that many Hours Sleep in One Night in a LONG TIME!
He needed that little bit of Excitement to bring him back down to Earth!

Thanks for your healing work. Last night I saw a silver-gray rod with a sharpened point being pulled from me.

Charles, You're More Than Welcome, You're Worth it, Believe Me and Your Mother

Yes, you must be about two hours ahead of me, my mother came to me exhausted about 05:30 AM giving me a thumbs up sign or an accomplished feeling of softness and relaxation.
Charles I hope that's what you felt a lightness and relaxed easiness. My mother says she will watch over you awhile, I hope you don't mind, you need to open your mind to her and relax and try to think of some think Happy or Funny like we discussed before. OK?

I hope it stays with you awhile.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: guohua

That's good. My husband just took down her name to add to his morning work Pandora channel and Havasi. He likes high energy instrumental stuff on those mornings when talk radio isn't floating his boat.

I'm Glad, that's Great,,,, I hope he likes it.
Tina Guo is really Fantastic and has her own recording company.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Interesting on the forthcoming revelation .. if its what Ive long suspected will hear the howls of outrage all the way over here .. tbh think its funny .. then again my sense of humour tends to be rather on the dark side ..

Thats definetly thread worthy .. though with the flame war that would ensue will stick to sitting back and watching the show .. still not recovered from the foray into the religion forum ..

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
My Grammar would should be BANNED!

Just think in my Head for two minutes,,,,,,
,,,,,,, Most of the time, I still have to translate my Mandarin Chinese thoughts to English and When I get Really Excited,,,,,, My husband Just Laughs and Shakes his Head!
I could Scare School Children into Wetting Themselves!

Grammar, What the Hell is that?

您好,我的所有好朋友。
让我们有一个饮料,朋友和亲戚。
我语法杀死鸡。

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Asked Seeker if he was going to do a thread on it but he said no as he couldn't really verify it. Not really familiar with National Report myself but it looks legit to me. However I'll pass as well for the reasons you mentioned.

As I said to Seeker if this is actually true and what everyone is thinking then ATS may have to move that old thread about Man-Chelle out of the Hoax forum.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

I had two years of study for Mandarin when I was in Taipei. It seemed the most logical language I'd ever heard. None of the weird English grammar and the sentence structure actually made sense to me. The 3rd year I was supposed to begin learning to write it. Unfortunately we got shipped back to the states and I've since forgotten most of what I'd learned.

One of life's big regrets for me was not being able to continue learning it.

Getting pretty tired so I'll sign off and hit the sack. Goodnight everyone.

edit on 272am3535am122014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thank you, and Good Night, have a Good Nights Rest, get plenty of sleep,,,,,, Tomorrow is another day!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Hello all my good friend at Hernando's Hideaway,,,,, My wife is in the chair with a good Buzz on and she's Squinting her eye's to see me,,,, Now that's a sight to see Friends,,, A Chinese Squinting her eyes!!! Now that's Funny!
Here I set, Fat and Sassy watching my Eye Squinting Chinese Lassy!!!

Time for another drink, watch a all having?
yes dear I know,,,, Rum & Coke Room temperature no ice.
OH, Damn, Every Body RUN! My Wife says it's Karaoke Time! Bar Tender, Where do you keep your Cotton Balls?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Ok Baby, Come on, Let's turn off the lights and lock the doors.
Looks like it's closing time, it's 01:00 AM here and we're out of customers, if there's a Lurker in the building,,,, you might want to say something.

Expat, I'll put the key in the usual place for ya, I figure you'll be by soon.

My wife is already more than half asleep, I'll carry her to bed and tuck her in, no problems

Good Night My friends and Thank you for the company and the friendly ear to listen to our problem and rants.
You'r All the Best and we mean that.

mr. & mrs. g
edit on 9-9-2014 by guohua because: Damn Spell Check or is it to many drinks????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hello everyone...

ordering a dry white wine and will sit at the bar waiting.

can't stay long and wait cos I got to be somewhere soon.

anyway... if the regulars aren't here.. I will leave you all a message to say hi.

Just picked out the Andrews Sisters on the Jukebox... 'Rum and Coca Cola'.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Getting scolded twice, yikes... alright, i'll just say whatever is on my mind which at the moment is....
Good Morning everyone, would anyone care for some earl grey this morning?

On the subject of god: I have searched for a religion that felt right for many years and the funny thing is, none really do feel right 100%. Of them all, i would have to say that Buddhist fits me best but im not Buddhist i do use a lot of their ideologies toward what they consider god to be and that it is

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Good morning, yawn... No tea fr me thanks. Straight coffee until 9am.

My brain is in definite need of some caffeine stimulation.

And what's all this Andrews Sisters playing on the Jukebox?

@Thurisaz, good morning and thanks for the tunes.

edit on 645am4545am92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Bassago, I'm sorry. No one should have to bear that amount of pain. Know that my heart reaches out to you, I wish you peace, and I have the love of a brother for you. If Hernando's provides a brief place of comfort for you, then I will be proud forever that I was a part of it.

Hating God makes sense to me sometimes, but I can't bring myself to do it. I have a great respect for those who hate pain, death, and injustice. And as much respect for those who cry out from broken spirits "How can You be a good God? I hate You." Their agonies shout to the world that justice matters to them, and God is where to go if there is any justice to be found.

Even Jesus is reported to have asked God, why He abandoned Jesus. It was the time of His greatest pain and suffering, and God withdrew, just walked away from the suffering. Hatred of God is the natural response.

If I can ever do anything, even if it's just to sit quietly with you, I will.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Thank you Charles that means a lot to me.

Maybe now you understand more of why I say I have peace (did I say that?) When people lose pretty much everything that matters most there's really nothing left to worry over.

FWIW I don't hate god, just doubt there could be a god who can so easily allow the destruction of the innocent.

So shall we sit and have coffee and grapefruit juice? What's the agenda for the day and how are you going to advertise Hernando's on the show?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz
Hi, Ya, Thurisaz, I'm so very Sorry, I missed you this Morning,,,,,My eyes just where not working,
I think I drank a little to much,,,,,,,, and my Feet Hurt, like some one Stepped One Them!!!

Wait,,, let me go back and read,,,,
OH, Dancing and Karaoke Night
I hope I had Fun

Come back has soon as you can, we'll talk and make fun of the guys

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Good afternoon.

On the religion thing, my husband and I are both first class geeks and RPG gamers and video gamers. The subject of religion rarely even comes up with our friends, many of whom are either atheist, agnostic or into alternate religions like Wicca, unless they bring the subject up, and then we make no bones about our beliefs because we aren't ashamed of them.

Hell, my husband had a friend come out of the closet to him in college.

In a sense though, gamers are alternative-type folks even if you happen to hold a mainstream religious belief. We've had to sort of hide ourselves when it comes to my husband's parents who don't think that gaming is acceptable for Christians. They bought the whole D&D is Satanic thing. We've gone to GenCon three or four times, and they still don't know about it. I don't like lying to them, but I think we'd like the reaction to them finding out what our hobby is even less.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago and everyone else, please

Hey, cut me a little slack, you've given me a lot of work to do, and I've already promised to put in some music. First things first. I promised, a couple of days ago, to put in something I like. It is not Eastern in any sense. This piece does not have any gentle gracefulness. It's not a song for quiet restful times, it's for times when you are full of exuberant life (or want to be).

This also does not focus on the group contribution, although it is there. It focuses on the skill and controlled abandon of one man, Lionel Hampton. It's fairly obvious that he pours everything he has into the song, and it comes from inside himself, not the roar of the crowd, as it's being performed in studio with a small audience.

I think it's better than grapefruit juice and coffee, and it says a lot about America, at least as it was.

Still need the coffee and grapefruit juice? Well maybe we should slow down a bit. I'll have some of that, and maybe a very light breakfast, just to settle things down.
---------------------------------------------------
May I go back to suffering for a moment? I can only use my own experience, but is some of the "peace" you feel a numbness, followed by a shutting down parts of yourself? Sometimes that's the most obvious defense, and it really works in the relatively short run.
----------------------------------------------------
Agenda for the day? Well, that signals an evolution in Hernando's. I haven't been thinking along the lines of an agenda. Hmmm, let's think about that for a minute. G, if i could have another cup of coffee please? Maybe the entire carafe?

OK, we've established a pretty good relationship among the Hernandos, stronger than anywhere else I can think of. We've started nibbling around the edges of important issues, but Bassago thinks it's time to get down to work, and he may very well be right. We have to remember to take a lot of breaks, though.

This is tough. As a suggestion, look at Hernando's. Believers, non-believers, Western, Eastern, Men, Women, Old, Young (Do we have anyone under 40?), pretty much different everything, although I don't know whether we have Blacks or Muslims here. Peace, harmony, caring, and a search for agreement.

Now look at the world. Any difference between people is used to create envy, hatred, and violence. Politicians use it to divide the electorate, then offer bribes to each group so they can be elected and have more and more power. Nations use it to create hatred for the people of other nations, so the country can either fight, or draw power to the central authorities.

Division and hatred abound. Even if you don't read the papers, or watch the news, it is all over ATS. Normal, sane, caring people have to run in frustration from many of the threads here. I'm grateful those threads aren't face to face, or we'd need medical technicians on hand constantly.

So, as a suggestion for the next area of exploration, Why does Hernando's work? Why does the world fail? Can we, as people, do anything to transform the world, or is our future to be millions of Hernando's Hideaways and a return to much smaller community groups and less powerful governments?
-------------------------------------------
The Wednesday night radio program has a panel of six members who look through the threads, find some that interest them, and then are given about 15 minutes, more or less, to present the thread, offer their opinions about it, then discuss it with callers and the other panel members. This week, the call-in feature has been reestablished, and anyone can offer their thoughts or arguments.

My normal preparation is to come up with a little joke for my introduction, then write out my 5-10 minutes on the topic. I don't think Hernando's will be very controversial (but I can see where there would be discussion), so I'll probably go closer to 10 minutes.

I usually think it over for a few days, then start writing it Tuesday evening or early Wednesday. The show goes on at 9 p.m. Central and lasts two hours.

As I haven't started writing, I'd appreciate ideas, phrases, paragraphs, or anything you think should be included.

Whew! That was work! Give me a beer for my poor throat. I have to run an errand for my mom, so I may be away for an hour.

Bassago, keep going. You're in a long race.
edit on 9-9-2014 by charles1952 because: Change "reply to"

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: guohua
My Grammar would should be BANNED!

Just think in my Head for two minutes,,,,,,
,,,,,,, Most of the time, I still have to translate my Mandarin Chinese thoughts to English and When I get Really Excited,,,,,, My husband Just Laughs and Shakes his Head!
I could Scare School Children into Wetting Themselves!

Grammar, What the Hell is that?

您好,我的所有好朋友。
让我们有一个饮料,朋友和亲戚。
我语法杀死鸡。

Ah, now, there is a marked difference between someone like you who is ESL (English Second Language) and someone who has a learning issue and someone who just plain doesn't care and didn't bother to learn it.

Believe me, as someone who taught in a heavily ESL school and then went on to work with kids who had various learning disabilities, there are very pronounced patterns you learn to see given time.

Also, I have had a question that has plagued me ever since I worked with those kids who had learning disabilities.

We worked with kids who had trouble with phonetic awareness, basically, they had various issues that made it difficult to perceive the different sounds in language. For example, when you see (or hear) the word "black," your sight or auditory processing centers pick up the knowledge and recognize that you saw or heard a word and pass it on to the frontal lobe which processes all the different sound (or phonemes) in the word "black" so you know what it is you saw or heard. That's how language works.

In the kids we worked with, the connections in the brain that passed that work information between the sight or auditory centers to the frontal lobe were weak so that not all the information would get to the frontal lobe. You might see or hear "black," but by the time it got to the frontal lobe, your brain might misplace the /l/ so that all you process is the word "back." You begin to perceive how life gets difficult for kids like this?

Anyhow, we wondered what it might be like for someone who spoke Chinese as a native language because Chinese is also a tonal language. What if you were not only losing your phonemes, but were also tone deaf? Do Chinese speakers have problems with speech if they are tone deaf? Or am I way off base?
edit on 9-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

I had two years of study for Mandarin when I was in Taipei. It seemed the most logical language I'd ever heard. None of the weird English grammar and the sentence structure actually made sense to me. The 3rd year I was supposed to begin learning to write it. Unfortunately we got shipped back to the states and I've since forgotten most of what I'd learned.

One of life's big regrets for me was not being able to continue learning it.

Getting pretty tired so I'll sign off and hit the sack. Goodnight everyone.

Bassago, I'll tell you, I think you were a Very Smart Person for Learning Mandarin or wanting to Learn.
Like I said before Thank you.

You know, I told people 10 years ago, in China, for the past 15 years, Students are taught English skills, It is Not so they can Travel and Communicate, No,,, it is for the Economics's, Yes, another of China's Long Term Plans coming into Focus.

For Economical Reason's China new America was the Big Boy and the Block, China would have to compete with America and Surpass America and China had laid the Plans for this maybe 20 to 25 years ago and their students have been taught the skills of English but with the Mind set in Economic's and What's Best For China and the Central Committee.

I bring this up, for two reasons, One, it's happening today. Ask any Realtor in New York or S F Ca. or Ca. near the Ocean if the have Chinese paying cash for homes and properties and Business's.
They are and they've been Groomed by years of training for this.
Today, many Chinese Bank's out of Beijing, Singapore and of-course Hong Kong China feel affronted when dealing with American Bank or Big Business and they don't Speak Mandarin Chinese. ( Mandarin is the Language of Official Business and Military ) They feel for so many years they had to speak English with an Interpreter, today to show respect, this should be
reversed and American Big banks and Big Business should be Hiring Mandarin Speaking Employees or at lest have an Interpreter.
That needs to be Kept in the Back Of Some One Head When Their Looking For A Job in the Future, Learn Mandarin, Speak Mandarin, and be able to Read Mandarin!!!!! Great Job's in the Future and NOW!

I know a bit long, but the second part is this.
A new member a few days ago posted he was from the future and he's a Time Traveler.
GREAT!

I welcome him and write a welcome in Mandarin because in the Future, the way China see's the World, The World will be speaking a mixture of Mandarin / English,,,, Surprise, Surprise,, Not Spanish,,, Why anyone takes Spanish I could never figure out unless you want to live in a 3rd. Word Country.

Anyway, kind of like My husbands Favorite TV series ( that got cancelled ) FireFly, But they spoke a Mixture of Cantonese and English, Cantonese is not the Language of Business and Banking or the Military and all things Government.

No this new member came after I explained it was a welcome in Mandarin Chinese, He tells Me,,,, Now Get this,,,,

He tells me, A Chinese Woman, that China Now Speaks LATIN!!!!!!
Can You Believe This Idiot???

The Chinese Tongue Could Not Twist in All The Ways It Takes To Speak Latin
What an idiot!
Hell, you've heard an Asian speak English, just imagine,,,,,Latin instead!!!!

Some Time Traveler,,, Where from, Disneyland?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

A time traveler in who's time Chinese people speak Latin?? Maybe he meant to say he came from an alternate universe where people ain't so smart.
I saw that thread but after the initial OP I lost interest.

I really loved the Mandarin classes as well as Chinese history. The history classes were fascinating. We spent a lot of time at the National Museum also. It's amazing how much stuff old Chang stole from Mao before he fled the mainland.

Needless to say when I returned to the US and they asked me what language class I wanted to take I said Mandarin. They looked at me like I'd grown a second head. Agreed, any students today who really wish to get ahead should learn Mandarin.

Also what was interesting is even back then in the late 60's the American schools were several years behind. Glad I got most of my education in Europe and Asia.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join