It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only fairly old geezer (65) who likes alternative rock music? Similiar age people?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

You should check out the John Butler trio, they are an aussie blues/folk band and they are some kind of awesome.

alternate link

edit on 30-8-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Im pushing 40 and bounce back in forth between techno, drum n bass, and hard rock.

My loves are the NWOBHM sound of the late 70's, early thrash bands, and grunge from the 90's.

When I say techno, Im not talking about this EDM thing thats grabbing headlines, moreso the established producers from the 90's like DIgweed, Adam Beyer, Sasha.

I do try to find new bands that I like, but I always revert back to the stuff I know. Just don't hear anything new that does it for me in the rock genre.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I'm 47 and I love the Arctic Monkeys, the Black keys and Bruno Mars..good taste in music knows no age..lol. Peace.a reply to: droid56

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Worked w/ a guy back in my IBM days who has been there for, I believe 50 years (49 at the least). That would put him at 68-76 years, depending on what level of education he began his term at IBM with. He wore nothing but black sweat pants. Drove a blacked out, lowered and pimped out Civic (or similar tiny car from other mfg...never looked that closely), rocked all of the latest game systems and games, and was the biggest fan of NiN, Rammstein, Korn, Pantera, Sepultura....etc etc etc.

So, no, you are not.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
a reply to: droid56

Curiosity.

What am I missing? I don't mean what artists, although if you make a decent case I might try one or two, I mean what "flavor" or "style" or "heart."

Am I missing the wild abandon of Lionel Hampton on vibes? The individual virtuosity of Miller and his clarinet? The fun and spirit of Dixieland? The complexity of Handel?

I'm serious here, what am I missing?

It's OK Charles. Sometimes an outlet for the emotions is
more simple than even Basie or an occasional visit to
Bitch's Brew, but I need more than Don Henley.

Often you just gotta let it go after spending two hours too
much in Social Issues. For that I would prefer Cory bellowing
in front of Slipknot; maybe some other light dinner music from
Cattle Decapitation or the like. ( Insert distorted boar grunt here )
For brand new there's nothing like Death FM. Check with your
loco XM satellite provider (no typo). This was not a plug, just sayin'.

There's a range I enjoy being 62, between AND INCLUDING
Andre Previn and Prius. If I need classical never forget Gentle
Giant, they were so synchotwisted back in the day. But I'll be the
first to admit that if I had sons all my CDs would be missing in an hour.

PS. For MY middle of the road, Tool is populated by geniuses.

edit on 30-8-2014 by derfreebie because: We're missing a Mangler. Call Ron Kurzweil!

edit on 30-8-2014 by derfreebie because: You can't rush quality, but ain't quality a rush?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
My mom is in her 60s and likes indie rock.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Only in my early 50's but once a metal head always a metal head. And yes I listen to new music. Love it:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My GF 63 is a hughe NIN, Disturbed, etc. fan.

My taste center around songwriters and the contemporary folk scene ala the "Lone Below" and "Joshua Black Wilkins"

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I am more than 20 years younger than you and I like rock music, always have always will.

I also like Mozart and when I was pregnant it was essential.

In my teens and 20's I loved and listened to often, U2, The Pixies, and older stuff like Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, The Doors, as well as some more 'indie' stuff like the Sugarcubes, these days I love listening to Kings of Leon especially, Ben Howard and some other indie bands, all sort of similar type 'rock'.

Most of my boyfriends have been guitarists in bands so going to gigs was a regular thing, I hasten to add they were long term boyfriends, I was never a groupie.

There's something about guitar that appeals to me.

I know people older than me that also still like rock and I know they always will.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I get bored with any one genre of music fairly fast. I have something like 20,000 songs saved on my ipod hocked to my car stereo set on shuffle most of which I have never heard before. I simply sat down for a few days with Pandora and every time a song came on that I liked I opened that chanel till the next artist I liked came on. Repeat ad nauseum. I then downloaded those artists to my i pod.

There is a little bit of everything on there. New-old...ehh if it sounds good then no worries.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I know it's only rock-n-roll but I like it, like it....yes I do. Any kind of hard rock, punk rock, rockabilly, new wave. Any new music that is like rock-n-roll. I loathe country western music and rap-crap music and hip-hop.

I'm 62

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hidinout
I know it's only rock-n-roll but I like it, like it....yes I do. Any kind of hard rock, punk rock, rockabilly, new wave. Any new music that is like rock-n-roll. I loathe country western music and rap-crap music and hip-hop.

I'm 62

The line sometimes get blurred.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

As someone who also loathes country, I had to hear it for myself that the lines are getting blurred. They are.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Link didn't work....

fixed it...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This alternative enough for ya?

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics