It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only fairly old geezer (65) who likes alternative rock music? Similiar age people?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm guessing that most people my age aren't checking out alternative-indie type music. I'm about to turn 65. I really don't like what is the predominant popular music for young people, which is hip-hop, and pop electronic dance stuff. For me it lacks a heart, and sounds cookie cutter. But that's just me.

I have always liked alternative-indie type music. Arcade Fire, The National, Modest Mouse, The Black Keys, etc.

Are people my age (65) even listening to new music? And if so, is it just old artists from your youth? Or is it new music from contemporary artists in some genre?
edit on 30-8-2014 by droid56 because: (title too long]
edit on 30-8-2014 by droid56 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56
I'm getting the feeling that people my age aren't listening to new music. They are done when it comes to new music. If so, that's sad.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Tell me if you like this. His name is Elliot Smith. He died about 10 years ago, but would have been a big hit.

edit on 8/30/2014 by RyanDaniel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: RyanDaniel

I like Ellioitt Smith. Sad he left early.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Stabbed in the heart. Hell of a way to go too. Dang. Love his music. So tragic.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
People my age aren't answering because they have stopped listening to new music. This is not a bad thing, But I would hate to say good-bye to the experience of hearing something new.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Curiosity.

What am I missing? I don't mean what artists, although if you make a decent case I might try one or two, I mean what "flavor" or "style" or "heart."

Am I missing the wild abandon of Lionel Hampton on vibes? The individual virtuosity of Miller and his clarinet? The fun and spirit of Dixieland? The complexity of Handel?

I'm serious here, what am I missing?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952
If your Jazz references are where you are musically, then my suggestions as to alternative-indie music would be a waste of time. I have a lot of respect for Jazz, way more than the crap that I hear on the award ceremonies.
But it doesn't do it for me anymore.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Dear droid56,

I can accept that. De gustibus non est disputandum.

But please allow me to rephrase. What do you personally enjoy about that style of music? You're not a tasteless heathen, your opinion has value. What do you see in it? Or what would I be looking for if I listened to it? I know nothing about it.

Is it a matter of energy? Or rhythm? Or originality? It must be good, it must have value, if for no other reason than you say it does. Give me a heads up before I stick my wrinkled old toe in the water.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I bet you were into similar stuff when in your teens and twenties, what bands did you go for then?.
Although Iam 40 I still keep up with the indie rock kids
Funny a girl at work (about 18) said to me when I was wearing an old band T-Shirt of Nirvana "Oh my god you like Nirvana but you are old!".
I facepalmed.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Did you like the US stuff like this?.
Pixies etc?
Du?.

Where do you come from? I got some great UK indie stuff.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I got into it because of the Indie chicks lol.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Interestingly enough, most rock music has its base roots in jazz/blues/folk music (in terms of tempo, rhythm, etc).

So I guess these other genres are various flavours from the same base ingredient.

Another words, you're listening to vanilla ice cream with chocolate sprinkles... and the other flavours are vanilla with strawberry sprinkles, or vanilla with caramel sauce, or vanilla with chopped pecans.

The fun is in the taste testing.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Charles, I think it is unlikely that you will find pleasure in the music that is described as indie-alternative. But I did. I went through a period of loving classical music. And then Jazz. But I grew to love the sound of drums and bass.

Try The National and Arcade Fire on Yutube. With good speakers. More than once. Then return to your former music, if it doesn't sound really good. And I'm not joking.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The Pixies and the Replacements were major players for me.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
All I can say is "Thanks a lot for the information, guidance and suggestions."

It's probably not a good idea to start listening to them at 2:30 in the morning when I'm having trouble seeing the keyboard (or maybe that's the best time), but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
No absolutly not. I am 25, and as much as i like Progressiv, hiphop, deathmetal an so on, when it comes to that i feel like i was born in a wrong age ... I listen alot to: The band, Jimmy Hendrix, Mark Knofler, Santana and so on ...

Trust me on this, age is just an illusion - A deception of mind ..
edit on 30-8-2014 by Splixfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

well I am not your age...I am in my 40s and I have lots of music, even recent music. I do tend to listen to my favorites though...

good for you for keeping up with the new trends of later generations.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Am 71 .. still listen to punk cant stand lamestream music .. currently following some up and coming punk bands in china and japan that are rather good ..

Meh age doesnt mean a thing .. dont limit yourself ..

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I do listen to new stuff, just not the E party music....errr
I listen to most everything, but Prog rock is my style...IE: Rush.

At 52, it is fun to hear and see new stuff. Then I pick and choose what I want and go from there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join