It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy of Music 10-Infinity: What is Really Being Said

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ok, so let's talk about the meaning of music. Many songs carry the embodiment of the artists political, social . . . let's face it . . . many other personal views. Some music is abstract and means little to those who have created it. To a fan however . . . music means something entirely different in many instances than was originally proposed by its creator.
What do certain songs mean to you? What do they mean to me? I would like to share a forum where we can post music and discuss our various understandings of different musical pieces of any genre. Some songs mean nothing ( Such as System of a Down's "Chop Suey" ). However . . . some songs mean everything!

Rules:
1. Post a music video or title and song.
2. Elaborate on what you think it means to the artist
3. What does it mean to you?
4. Respond to alternative interpretations.

I will begin:

2. Life feeds us what it needs to mislead us. We can just as easily become the victim of circumstance. It does not matter who or what you are. You love. You do what you have to do. You can become that deer in headlights just as easily as anything else.

3. . I see a representation of how I feel about the world. We have major misunderstandings between various nations of people and the chaos that ensues because of it. Further, I see an expression of uniformity in our general view upon life and what is important to all of us here on the Earth. We try to patch our misunderstanding of the world with drugs and therapies that have no meaning to others. We don't care about anyone but ourselves. We consume by taking whatever we want and think we need. We suck because we generally lack understanding of anything important to others.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: nonnez

This is going to be the coolest thread ever

ETA
Will return to post several videos...thanks!
edit on 8/29/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

Cool! Looking forward to it . . .

Curious to see what others post about their experiences with music.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince (Will Smith) "Summertime"

This song is awesome!

Summertime...the best time. Reminds me of attending Temple University in Philly right when this song came out. A simple, yet challenging time for me. Philly was really cool back then. I'm of West Coast origin but raised in the mid west, so Philly was my first taste of diversity and I soaked it all up.

I think it's an awesome representation of when Hip Hop went "seriously" Crossover/Mainstream...with all the jazz sampling and cool jazz beats via use of those great SP's (drum/beat sampling machines which I use to this day sometimes)...it was pretty cool and very representative of my generation at the time. Besides, I think these two were the first Hip Hop artist ever to receive a grammy.

Just a really nice time in my life.

The song is self explanatory.

LL Cool J "I'm Bad"

This song reminds me of the first time I liked a boy...lmao! This kid reminded me soooo much of LL cool J...he had that "SWAG". On top of that, the B-Boy stance...I loved all that about real Hip Hop & Breakin!!! That was some crazy 'ish. B-Boy....Started by Run-DMC and carried out by Cool J and various other...that was so cool.

Cool J, is definitely one of my favorite all time rappers. I even had the opportunity of meeting him. My husband was his bodyguard for a week and he's the nicest guy.

This song is also self explanatory if you listen to the lyrics. Rick Rubin was a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric B & Rakim "Paid In Full"

This is one of the dopest Hip Hop tracks ever!

I'm done with the Hip Hop for now guys

ETA
I'm a Hip Hop/Classical/Jazz fan, so you'll see many vids in these genres as my contribution. As we near the end of summer in the US...enjoy! I love the song in the OP!
edit on 8/29/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: ETA

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

1.) Imagine Dragons - America

2.) I believe the artist is reflecting on our soul as a nation. I think part of the reasoning behind the song, is certainly the service given by many fine men and women of our nation doing their best to contribute and protect the organic dream of America. Secondly, I think he is singing to God, or, whatever Creator he believes in. In the hopes that said God/Creator will hear his words, song, and voice, through the illusion... grant his wish, and raise America back to her status, liberty, and prosperity.

3.) On a metaphysical level... He is singing to "America". For the rest of my thoughts on this, you do not want to know. It hurts. =(
edit on 29-8-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Not Authorized

What an incredibly beautiful song. I think I've heard this before...this is going on my HDD. It kind of brought tears to my eyes

I feel ya'
edit on 8/29/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Give It Away"

This song IMO is simply about putting on a "Song & Pony Show", "Pretending" and "Giving Away Your Soul Essence" for anything.

For me, I just simply love the Chili Peppers. Their songs always hit me in the gut. Especially this one. Personally, it has a multitude of meanings for me. I listen to it at least once or twice a week. My mood mostly describes for me what this song means on that particular day.

Tad bit wired...I know.

Whatever

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I make bad music but I'm foremost a fan, I look at music like any art, I don't generally stick to one artist or Genre,
I like what I like and can find good music in practically any genre.

When it comes to outstanding Artists, it can come in many ways in music, a one hit wonder can be as popular as
someone who has had numerous hits, not that any of that comes in to play when choosing songs not for me anyway.
I just mean you don't normally find Artists in other arts with the one piece, they generally have lots or a number of works.

I'm into all types, for this thread I give you Juular by Devin Townsend Project.

I love the circus vibe morphing with metal and almost broadway style vocals.
This to me is art.
edit on 30/8/2014 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/8/2014 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Thank you for the interest folks. I have to admit i do not have huge amounts of time for replies. This thread will hopefully be a slow and steady conversation for those that love music and its discussion. I will try and reply to all that have responded to my OP . . . and thanks again.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I love Will Smith . . . I am more into his movies . . . never heard his music per-say. That was a cool video. I can see and understand how it brought you back. Music is so very powerful. The association with a smell, a time or a feeling is so important. many people do not realize how a certain event coalesces with their EVERYTHING.

Anyhow . . . I actually enjoyed those songs even though they were a bit commercial . . . thanks for your addition!

Edit:

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full

I remember that song . . . you are right . . . very awesome song for Hip-hop. I remember that song now . . . love it! I reall remember that india-girls background vocals

edit on 6-9-2014 by nonnez because: to include last song

edit on 6-9-2014 by nonnez because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Not Authorized

That song is highly patriotic. I never really listened to it until now. It is all about what we experienced in the past decade-ish. It responds to our desire to rebuild. It is a very uplifting song for those of us here in the United States. I would like to hear more on your other thoughts that you did not think we wanted to hear though:

On a metaphysical level... He is singing to "America". For the rest of my thoughts on this, you do not want to know. It hurts. =(

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

For me, I just simply love the Chili Peppers. Their songs always hit me in the gut. Especially this one. Personally, it has a multitude of meanings for me. I listen to it at least once or twice a week. My mood mostly describes for me what this song means on that particular day. Tad bit wired...I know.

Not weird at all. I like particular songs on particular days . . . depends a lot on my mood. Some days it is opera . . . some days it is the Chili Peppers . . . or whatever . . .

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

Wow, talk about intense and calm at the same time. There is a certain tempo to that tune that had me listening and relaxing to what would seem to be intense madness . . . yet it was not so. Thanks for that . . . had never heard that before.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Ok . . . so I realize that this thread is a weekender . . . ie . . . a thread based on drunken or euphoric madness. So here is my next song . . . I will save my interpretation til, well, until I see fit to reply.

edit on 12-9-2014 by nonnez because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
And one more:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
And . . . can't leave out this one (sorry for the alt rendition . . . but love it more):

top topics

join