It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' Donuts Worker's Death Reveals The True Cost Of Our Low-Wage, Part-Time Economy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Agreed. I would also add a tarif on imports, make bringing goods in expensive, we suddenly can make things cheaper here. More factories, more jobs.

I'm not on the same page with you exactly on the whole make the rich pay their fair share thing. That statement is getting no traction these days.

What we need is a complete overhaul of our tax system, the rich are paying their fair share now.... On paper. By their "income"

The rich have so many options for tax shelters it's mind boggling, take warren buffet for example. He is a poster child for the left and the whole "I pay less tax than my secretary thing" yeah, that may be true on a percentage basis, in which he is gaming the system and paying someone good money to do that for him.

In a round about way he is really shedding light on the true problem. That the uber rich can avoid tax, while still being for more taxes.

Personally I favor a flat tax system, based on all income with no deductions, no fancy maneuvers. A one page 1040 for everyone. You made this much, you owe this much.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Social Security should NOT be included, it is an entirely separate thing.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

No "loopholes" what-so-ever, would go a long way to satisfying the governments greed for tax monies.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Let's all concentrate on the poor woman who had to work 4 minimum wage jobs.

Let's all focus on the debate about how low minimum wages are.

Let's all ignore the fact that America's worker base is service-related.

Let's all ignore the fact that America's creative manufacturing base has been wiped out.

Let's focus on minimum wage industry and ignore supporting, endorsing, creating professions like medicine, engineering, production, manufacturing, construction, architecture, science, etc.

We have a president and congress soiling themselves over minimum wage and they are purposefully ignoring the fact that in a service industry, you can't raise wages unless you raise the cost of service!
They are ignoring America's weakening educational levels, America's poor professional levels.

Forget having more scientists or engineers!

Let's raise the effing minimum wage to 50 effing dollars an hour!

*bah*

I'm not the sharpest bowling ball in the drawer, but even I can see this is going the wrong way!

Look at what you wrote. You dismiss the lady who died. Then you go on about minimum wage when no one else was talking about it. Then claim you were trying to redirect the conversation. Keep up those mental gymnastics.

link   

originally posted by: Dingo80

originally posted by: eManym
I always considered low wage unskilled service jobs as starter jobs for those moving into the job force or older workers using that type of employment to supplement their retirement. Apparently many are choosing these types of jobs as a career choice.

It surprises me that these workers are demanding wages that entry level skilled workers make.

For people that work these jobs that have the opportunity to better themselves, why don't they have the motivation to raise their standard of living?

What Planet do you live on?

Who chooses to work 4 Jobs because they don't have the motivation to Better Themselves.

It's not a choice to work low paying PT jobs, it's just a matter of trying to survive.

My thoughts exactly.

link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Social Security should NOT be included, it is an entirely separate thing.

What is so wrong in giving the people more of their money to plan their retirement?

I want people to have more money and government less money.

Can you honestly say you are against that?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Hate me puddin' I don't care. No matter how much love you feel will ever bring her back.

Now do you want to continue the process that may have helped in her death, or do you want to save potential others?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I think one of the things we need to do is phase out Social Security.

Put the onus of retirement on the backs of the people who are actually going to retire.

If that safety net isn't there, people will focus on what they are actually making/spending/saving/earning and plan for their own darned futures instead of relying on government.

The woman who died was working four freaking jobs. I'd say she was well aware that there was no safety net out there for her. She had no future to plan.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

It is a solution or part of the solution.

In the 50’s and 60’s when the rich paid high taxes the economy boomed

The economy in this country started its spiral down after the big tax cuts for the rich in the 80’s and hasn’t come up for breathe since…it has drowned.

And after they bribed the politicians to vastly cut their taxes they then proceeded to bribe them to gut the protectionist trade policies that kept American jobs here,

Then they bribed the politicians to revoke Glass Steegle so the banks could go crazy and invest in exotic junk that poisons the macro economy

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Look, one more time:

GO READ THE TITLE TO THIS THREAD!

Also: THIS IS THE SOCIAL ISSUES AND CIVIL UNREST FORUM.

Quit badgering beezer for wanting to talk about social issues in a thread that was created for just this purpose please.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

False. Social Security will be insolvent in just a matter of years.

And why do you think that is ?

Yes, that's right.... because our governments (both yours and mine) are using it as their cashcow. They're spending the trust funds faster than it's going in. To the point that they are so deep in hock with it, that they can't replenish what they stole. It stopped being a "trust fund" decades ago.

Why did they start stealing from those funds ? Bad financial management... expenditures overriding revenues.

Nope. They are the TREATMENT for the DISEASE.

And the "cure" aint workin'

Wrong, they are the symptom of a much deeper disease that began long before these social programs ever came into the mix.

We need to look to countries like Ireland who are offering tax incentives to bring manufacturing BACK to the US

Now there's a potential actual solution we both can agree on.

But robbing people of their social security that they paid into for 50 years of their working careers is NOT a solution to stop the bleeding.

It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.... which is what our fricken governments have been doing for the past 4+ decades.

And it ain't working out so good.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Why don’t you folks focus on the macro economy… that behemoth we all suck like a cub?

This individual thing is primarily the resulting effect of what is going on from the macro economy in which has been poisoned.

Before the present day murderers of the macro economy got their grubby hands on our necks one could find a decent job and even afford college. In fact one could, back in the day, even work one self through college…not now!

One would have to work 6 full time jobs to work themselves through college, an impossibility

People are conditioned to look down the ladder not up. The people up the ladder are in charge of the conditioning, of course.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Don’t you people see this? It’s so clear.

We live in a cooperative enviroment where the economy is likened to a vast reservoir that we all drink.

As for the the poor soul who died (RIP and may god bless her) is a metaphorical example of the modern American dream becoming a nightmare

We therefore have and do extrapolate on the macro economic issues that made her work 4 jobs.

And there are millions of Americans like her

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

In your head that might be what your doing. But from your words it seems like something completely different. Maybe its just me that sees it that way. I dont know.

No, it's not just you that sees it that way. Your instincts are right on target.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Look, one more time:

GO READ THE TITLE TO THIS THREAD!

Also: THIS IS THE SOCIAL ISSUES AND CIVIL UNREST FORUM.

Quit badgering beezer for wanting to talk about social issues in a thread that was created for just this purpose please.

So beezer can talk about it from a economic standpoint but I can not talk about it from my standpoint. I say talking about using a tragedy to push an agenda is more a social issue and civil unrest issue than beezers economic take.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I believe that if we don’t harness the greed that has destroyed the macro economy and made it non fruitful as it is today where college is unaffordable and good jobs are rare; we will destroy ourselves and this civilization.

Modern economics is a scientific reality. If those who have control of it continue to manipulate it for the benefit of the few this WILL DESTOY US ALL!

This poor woman is THE WRITING ON THE WALL GODDAMMIT
It will get worse!

edit on 29-8-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

a reply to: caterpillage

No "loopholes" what-so-ever, would go a long way to satisfying the governments greed for tax monies.

Yes it would, the next step would then be to slash the federal government to a mere fraction of what it is now.

I think you would agree that the federal gov could be downsized significantly?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

This poor woman is THE WRITING ON THE WALL GODDAMMIT
It will get worse!

True.

So do we encourage government to continue and kill more, or do we do something about it?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I would forget the political dogma and LOOK at economic history and facts

Even the tea party was started by the cause of the greedy Banksters.

They were co-opted by the greedy capitalist like Koch

This will be the Western contribution primarily to the destruction of this world: greed
Belive me this is the truth!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join