It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' Donuts Worker's Death Reveals The True Cost Of Our Low-Wage, Part-Time Economy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

In your head that might be what your doing. But from your words it seems like something completely different. Maybe its just me that sees it that way. I dont know.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
You all want people to not be on welfare. Here is someone trying to survive with four jobs. And still you have a problem with it and try to turn this into a political issue.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Wonder if anyone considered the impact of the affordable care act on solidifying our "part-time" wage job economy?

link   

edit on 8 29 2014 by caterpillage because: Dubya post

link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Good question.

The solution is going back to when the economy was steaming: In the 50’s 60’s somewhat the seventies. The 80’s began the slide to what is called trickle down economics. Then the 90’s NAFTA…sent the jobs overseas so the rich can make money off low wage non unionized workers.

That is cut taxes for the rich and money will trickle down to the average guy

That has been shown to not work…

What was so good back then?

High taxes for the rich and lower for the middle class and poor

Also to protect jobs a trade policy that levels the playing field. Again in the 80’s began the wrecking of the American trade policy that protected jobs here.

Bring back Glass Steegle, and break up the banks

Then with the taxes back in order rebuild the infrastructure of this country

They built the highways in the 50’s, with that tax structure where the rich paid their fair share.

These small things will bring back manufacturing and jobs and a real stimulus not paid for by government spending becasue you are creating real jobs not give aways.

The economy would work on its own as it did in the 50's and 60's where we had the most powerful economic growth in the history of mankind

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Yep. Between SS and Fed Tax, comes to about 14.4% of each pay check.

Depending on your wage, that can add up to quite a bit of money that one would have, if it were not being taken out.

For my wife, that would be 2 weeks of food (for a family of 4), or several tanks of gas in the car, or a large chunk of say, the power bill.

Certainly someone on minimum wage could most certainly use that money back in their paycheck.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

In your head that might be what your doing. But from your words it seems like something completely different. Maybe its just me that sees it that way. I dont know.

I'm not nice and fluffy and gentle.

I'm looking for real-world solutions.

The government has been in control forever, basically. They've done a crappy job at it. Time to take some responsibility AWAY from government and put it back in the hands of the people.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You all want people to not be on welfare. Here is someone trying to survive with four jobs. And still you have a problem with it and try to turn this into a political issue.

Yup.

I blame politicians.

Republicans and democrats.

This IS a political issue.

NOT a partisan one.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

The government has been in control forever, basically. They've done a crappy job at it. Time to take some responsibility AWAY from government and put it back in the hands of the people.

I understand that. I am economically conservative. But there is a time and a place for that. Using a tragedy to push your agenda is disgusting and beneath you. Go make a thread about the economic situation of the country. Without using a dead girl to push your agenda.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

How is social security draining taxpayers' pockets when the trust fund is operating with a surplus year after year ?

The trust fund is taking in more than it's paying out.

But besides that, these "entitlement" programs (as you're calling them) are not the disease, they are the symptom.

Stop and chew that one over for a minute.... they are the symptom, NOT the disease.

Without a manufacturing base in your country anymore, I really don't see any solutions to the problem other than band-aid ones. The manufacturing industry was one of those industries that could afford to pay living wages. The current service-based industry cannot.

Therefore, all you're going to do at this point is slow the bleeding without actually stopping it by your suggested "solutions" of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Whats the difference between what you all are doing and the government using tragedies to push gun control. I know you all are against that. There is no difference. I am sick of people having double standards.

edit on 29-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Here is why making the rich pay more taxes works

Simple:

When the rich have too much money they speculate with it (they really don’t invest it wisely) on exotic things like what happened in the 2007-8 depression with real estate speculations.

When they have to pay 90 percent taxes after a few million made then they invest more conservatively and wisely that actually supports the economy and don’t tend to cause the bubbles (2007-8) that eventually wreck the economy.

Stop being fooled by the distractions that certain people do to hide this truth.
Like blaming it on wefare and food stamps...

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I understand that. I am economically conservative. But there is a time and a place for that. Using a tragedy to push your agenda is disgusting and beneath you. Go make a thread about the economic situation of the country. Without using a dead girl to push your agenda.

A woman died. I didn't start this thread, but I am redirecting the spotlight and trying to point out that increasing minimum wage is NOT the way to save more women like this one.

The OP and others will use this woman's death to highlight the need for a raise in minimum wage.

THAT, in my humble opinion, will just lead to more deaths.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

You might want to go back and take a look at the title of the thread:

"Dunkin' Donuts Worker's Death Reveals The True Cost Of Our Low-Wage, Part-Time Economy"

The thread wasn't created just to describe what happened to this poor woman, but is also discussing things that may have led to her death: IE the fact she was having to work 4 part time jobs to make ends meet.

So yes, politics will be discussed in this thread. The thread itself is in the forum known as "Social Issues and Civil Unrest", and discussions like this will be in threads posted here.

This isn't a "Breaking News" thread about a her death, it's a thread calling into question about the state of our economy being so bad that she had to work 4 part time jobs, that contributed to her death (she was carrying a leaky gasoline can in her car so she wouldn't be late to one of her 4 jobs, and the fumes over came her while sleeping in the car).

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Again people...

Increasing taxes is NOT a solution.

It's a fricken band-aid !

Again, yet another "robbing Peter to pay Paul" suggestion.

If the US can't offer jobs that pay a living wage to its citizens, the country is up a creek without a paddle no matter which way you look at it.

Plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

How is social security draining taxpayers' pockets when the trust fund is operating with a surplus year after year ?

The trust fund is taking in more than it's paying out.

False. Social Security will be insolvent in just a matter of years.

But besides that, these "entitlement" programs (as you're calling them) are not the disease, they are the symptom.

Stop and chew that one over for a minute.... they are the symptom, NOT the disease.

Nope. They are the TREATMENT for the DISEASE.

And the "cure" aint workin'

Without a manufacturing base in your country anymore, I really don't see any solutions to the problem other than band-aid ones. The manufacturing industry was one of those industries that could afford to pay living wages. The current service-based industry cannot.

What I've been sayin' ma'am.

Therefore, all you're going to do at this point is slow the bleeding without actually stopping it by your suggested "solutions" of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Wrong. We need to look to countries like Ireland who are offering tax incentives to bring manufacturing BACK to the US.

(post by mikegrouchy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

but I am redirecting the spotlight and trying to point out that increasing minimum wage is NOT the way to save more women like this one.

Not one person advocated increasing the minimum wage before you posted. Most were just saying how sad they are about the situation.
edit on 29-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

but I am redirecting the spotlight and trying to point out that increasing minimum wage is NOT the way to save more women like this one.

Not one person advocated increasing the minimum wage before you posted. Most were just saying its sad.

It is sad.

Her death is just one of probably hundreds if not thousands that could be placed firmly in the feet of government.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Sad indeed but we have to remain positive and NEVER give up hope.
And strive for a better world where we can attain that old song by an old jazz guy Pharoah Sanders - The Creator has a Master Plan…peace and happiness for every man.

Though today we might add every man... and woman!

Surely, you jest.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join