It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' Donuts Worker's Death Reveals The True Cost Of Our Low-Wage, Part-Time Economy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Okay pork chops!

We've isolated the issue.

Poor woman, working 4 jobs, died.

But focusing on Reagan, lower taxes, economics of the 80's is like having a person come into the ER bleeding from the abdomen.

Some are arguing to put bigger and bigger bandages on the wound.

Others are blaming the knife.

No-one is looking at ways to STOP THE BLEEDING!

So gee golly!

What are your brilliant suggestions, ATS?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
a reply to: Dingo80
What I meant by my post was, why don't these workers learn a skill that pays higher wages rather than working several jobs at the same level?

If she didn't have time to sleep, where would she find the time to earn a higher education?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I mentioned Bill Clinton too bro...NAFTA

Remember Ross Perot and the big sucking sound...

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Maybe taking some money out of America's War Machine and putting it into rebuilding America's failing infrastructure would be a good start.

link   

originally posted by: Willtell

I mentioned Bill Clinton too bro...NAFTA

Remember Ross Perot and the big sucking sound...

Oh Christ, okay, the 90's also.

Have any solutions, or is playing with a blame-thrower more fun?

link   

I don't know why, but an old saying popped into my head as a response to your question...

"You can't get there from here...You have to start somewhere else!"

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

Quitting a job these days is not an option, IMO. Get another better job first, then quit. If you have something to gain from quitting, go for it. Otherwise, not a good idea.

Just an uncontentious view.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dingo80

Maybe taking some money out of America's War Machine and putting it into rebuilding America's failing infrastructure would be a good start.

How much of tax payer money goes into America's war machine?

Any idea?

How much of tax payer money currently goes into America's entitlement programs?

Care to guess on that one also?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Dingo80

How much of tax payer money goes into America's war machine?

Any idea?

How much of tax payer money currently goes into America's entitlement programs?

Care to guess on that one also?

Answer for first Question - Too Much
Answer for second Question - Too Much

Any more Questions?

"No-one is looking at ways to STOP THE BLEEDING!"

How does this help?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Cause n effect...disnt happen overnight

It’s not a question of blame it’s a question of power.

Do you think this economy and its infrastructure are not powered by people with an agenda? I do. And it’s not people like us who are powering it.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

What I meant by my post was, why don't these workers learn a skill that pays higher wages rather than working several jobs at the same level?

I've seen people who are skilled workers, some with degrees, now working unskilled jobs.

Having the degree or education will not mean you will get a job in that field.

There are bills to pay. Food to be bought, and if you have a family, you're trying to provide for them.

You can not just ask them to hold their breath, live in a old car and go without food so you can try and go back to school and hopefully land a better job.

In many cases, it's just not a viable option.

I feel sorry for this woman, but it was not smart to be carrying a gasoline container in the back of your car, unsecured (if that's what happened).
Thing is: 4 jobs, little sleep an driving. She (and others) run a very high risk of falling asleep at the wheel while driving and could end up dying that way (or worse, killing others).

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go?

Linky

Defense and international security assistance: In 2013, 19 percent of the budget, or $643 billion, paid for defense and security-related international activities.

. . . .

Social Security: Another 24 percent of the budget, or $814 billion, paid for Social Security, which provided monthly retirement benefits averaging $1,294 to 37.9 million retired workers in December 2013.

. . . .

Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP: Three health insurance programs — Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) — together accounted for 22 percent of the budget in 2013, or $772 billion.

. . . .

Safety net programs: About 12 percent of the federal budget in 2013, or $398 billion, supported programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship.

Plus there's a neat chart on the link I provided.

So cutting the big D-fence is all good and well. But we aren't starving social programs as it is.

We're doing something wrong though. We are pouring money down the drain. We "ain't" getting a return on the investment of all these social programs.

Maybe these social programs are part of the problem, because they sure as hell aren't part of the solution!

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Understand little people…our economy is like a reservoir and ONLY rich folks swim in it but WE ALL have to drink out of it and the thing is when they swim in it they poison it and when we have to drink it we are drinking poinonous water (a poisonous economy)

So analogize the macro economy to this allegory. Then you will understand

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Cause n effect...disnt happen overnight

It’s not a question of blame it’s a question of power.

Do you think this economy and its infrastructure are not powered by people with an agenda? I do. And it’s not people like us who are powering it.

Bull spit. People with an agenda? *pfft*

The ones with an agenda are the ones that want to perpetuate an entitlement mentality. They are the ones that want to grow the "safety net".

They are the cradle to grave, nanny-state buttheads, that don't want you learning, growing, becoming independent!

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This might be a controversial point but the pensions system seems broken to me. There are many pensioners who do not need to pensions they receive from the government and have loads of money in the bank they don't want. You could argue they have earned that money through their lifetime of hard work, but at the same time money in someone's bank they're never going to use is pretty pointless.

47% of benefit spending goes on Pensions in the UK. Whilst they spent 48billion a year servicing debt. Seems like sorting those two things out might unleash a bit more disposable income for the country.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Listen up...

This reservoir (macro-economy) was poisoned in 2007-8 by the super rich Banksters, probably deliberately
This is how they control the economy through their possession of the reservoir we all drink (macro economy)

The thing is we little people have nil influence on the reservoir. All we do is drink from it (work on a little job)

The elite get to manage and control it and get to drink it before they poison it.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Understand little people…our economy is like a reservoir and ONLY rich folks swim in it but WE ALL have to drink out of it and the thing is when they swim in it they poison it and when we have to drink it we are drinking poinonous water (a poisonous economy)

So analogize the macro economy to this allegory. Then you will understand

So what then do we do to the rich? Kill them? Take all their money? Make them illegal and put them in prison?

Please tell me a solution for our problem. And yes I agree we have a problem, I'm not trolling you. Lol

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think one of the things we need to do is phase out Social Security.

Put the onus of retirement on the backs of the people who are actually going to retire.

If that safety net isn't there, people will focus on what they are actually making/spending/saving/earning and plan for their own darned futures instead of relying on government.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Where is the time and money to afford to train?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I think one of the things we need to do is phase out Social Security.

Put the onus of retirement on the backs of the people who are actually going to retire.

If that safety net isn't there, people will focus on what they are actually making/spending/saving/earning and plan for their own darned futures instead of relying on government.

Social security is paid for from the tax paid by the workers, did you do economics at school?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join