It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola: Inspirational Stories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This story really moved me - maybe other members have similar ones to share. One thing especially caught my attention - Dr. Philip Ireland is a doctor. He was mis-diagnosed with malaria but knew he had Ebola - so he quarantined himself, protected his family and neighbors, and guided everyone through his treatment. But what about those who do not have his awareness and education? What happens to them and their families and neighbors?

Ebola Survivor 'Walked Through the Valley of Death'

Dr. Philip Ireland remembers the moment he realized he had Ebola. The 44-year-old emergency medicine resident was in a meeting at his hospital when the headache crept in, followed by fatigue and a racing pulse.

…..By the time he got to a clinic, he had a fever. "They told me it was malaria," he said. But he knew this was different.

He went home and sent his wife and five children away for their protection. His mother fashioned her own protective clothing out of things around the house and cared for him, warily washing her hands every time she left his room.

.....For a week he stayed at home treating himself. There was no room at the Ebola treatment center. Then, eight days after his symptoms started, he thought he was going to die.

……An ambulance rushed him to the Ebola treatment center where, after a long wait, he was admitted. "I told the nurse to give me a large IV with fluid and open it up all the way,” he said. “Then I passed out."

Ireland is one of the lucky ones. After three weeks in the hospital, he recovered….

…..I asked him what he will do when his strength returns. His emergency room is shut down. It’s too dangerous right now, too hard to know whether someone with a fever has malaria, gastroenteritis or Ebola. But he insists he will go back to taking care of patients.

These are my people, he tells me. "This is what I must do."

edit on 29/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
He and his Moms saved the day. I'm glad he made it through.

join