It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola test underway for child in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This was just announced this afternoon:

A young child from Gatineau, Que., is in isolation after feeling sick upon returning from visiting family in Sierra Leone...

Dr. Jean-Pierre Courteau, medical officer of health for the Outaouais region, said... they’re being cautious because of her symptoms but couldn’t go into detail.

He said they don’t believe the child came into contact with anyone who had Ebola while in Sierra Leone.

The child is in isolation at an undisclosed hospital... Dr. Courteau said.

He said testing is being done in Winnipeg and results should be known by Saturday afternoon.

SOURCE: CBC News, Canada

Hopefully the test will prove negative for Ebola and the young girl will be ok. Just posting this in case it turns out be Ebola.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Yup,

Been waiting for this.

Can't have true terror until it lands in N. America right? Otherwise..."It's an over there thing. No worries."

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hopefully just a stomach flu

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
A few more details have come out regarding this possible Ebola case:

A young child from Gatineau who recently returned from Sierra Leone is being tested for the Ebola virus. The child is being assessed in isolation at a hospital in Gatineau.

...CFRA was reporting that the child is a three-year-old girl who had travelled to Sierra Leone with her mother.

...If testing at Winnipeg’s National Microbiology Laboratory confirms the child is suffering from the Ebola virus, it would be the first confirmed case in Canada.

According to Dr. Rosamund Lewis, an associate medical officer of health with Ottawa Public Health, the lab has committed to producing results with 24 hours of receiving a sample.

SOURCE: Ottawa Citizen

The toddler had reporting a bad fever after returning from a trip to Sierra Leone with her mother, reports CFRA affiliate NRJ. The girl has been quarantined pending test results.

The Gatineau hospital says the quarantine and tests are simply precautionary measures.

SOURCE: CFRA News Talk Radio

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Gatineau is too close to some of my family in Ottawa. Considering this girl only started showing a high fever, my hope is that this is Influenza or something that isn't Ebola.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thank goodness, the Ebola test on the young girl in Quebec came back negative:

Tests on a young girl from Gatineau, Que., have come back negative for the Ebola virus after she was feeling ill upon returning from Sierra Leone...

The girl was put in isolation at an undisclosed Ottawa hospital after her family took her to a Gatineau emergency room on Friday with flu-like symptoms after visiting family in Sierra Leone.

The tests, which were done in Winnipeg, came back negative on Saturday afternoon. The girl remains in isolation and she is in stable condition, according to health officials in western Quebec.

SOURCE: CBC

It's not clear whether a second test will be done soon. Last I heard, that's the recommended procedure. But hopefully this is good news.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast

If she just fell ill on return than to me that says people are still actively going. Time to hold off on travels to that place for a while think?
Sierra Leone is probably the hardest hit, and this has been going on for 7 months.
edit on 30-8-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

Good point. It doesn't seem like it would be the time most people would say, "Let's take a family trip back to Sierra Leone!" Perhaps there was more to the trip than just visiting family.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklastHey. I can't create my own thread yet. So I'm posting here.
I think ebola might have spread to Canada.

www.ctvnews.ca...

It's a small isolated native reserve.

The kids there are all getting these really ebola looking rashes.

Also, there was a diamond mine near it with a company that does a lot of work in Africa so maybe one of their employees brought it over?

Anyway, I think it's worth looking into.

new topics

top topics

join