It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of getting back into gaming...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of getting back into gaming. I live in Alaska, so my PFD (permanent dividend fund) check will be coming in October. This year it's supposed to be around $1,900! Yay! The state gets a share of the profits from the oil production, invests it and distributes a dividend to all the residents here.

Anyway, I haven't played video games in a few years. I have a dusty old first gen 360 someplace, but I think I'd like to get one of the newer consoles for my "man room". I can't decide if I want a PS4 or an Xbox ONE?

Some of the kinds of games I liked to play:

- Assasin's Creed
- Mass Effect
- Fallout 3
- Deus Ex
- GTA IV

I like that the PS4 is probably one of the best Blu-Ray players out there, as I can watch movies in my man-room with it. I don't care that Microsoft requires a paid membership, so that's a non-issue. I just want to get a console that has the best long-term viability and best games. It'll be hooked up to a 32" Sony HD TV in small bedroom, and I'll probably have to get wireless headphones to not annoy the girlfriend.

Anyone have any advice?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

PS4 mate, and GTA V.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Game consoles are for kids. Men play games with a computer.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Mostly agreed.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

One in every crowd, as they say.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Buy or build a new computer , games are cheaper and in general better quality.
If you must get a console PS4 out performs Xbone.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
$1900? You could build the mind blowingest gaming PC ever!

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I got a xbox one and regretted it, just not that many games, even less it seems on PS4

Technically yes PS4 is better however I think that XB1 has more to offer, more game exclusives, and it will play blu-ray.

I have used both and still would rather have the XB1, its probably the best controller I have ever had in my hands and it does the job i want it to do.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Hm, I know the PS4's controller has a touch thing on the front, is that useful?

I know both consoles don't have a lot of games out for them right now ... but in a year or so I'm thinking they will.

I don't want to get into PC gaming. I did that for a while. I hate PC's and use my Macbook for whatever photo editing and music production I need to do.

I've never been big on FPS like COD or Halo ...

A friend of mine said that the PS4 gets more regular updates for it's firmware than the Xbox ONE, is that true?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

1 dont use a MAC to game

2 dont use a mac to game

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Don't know about updates but my xbox updated just last weeks and does often.

Never had any need to use the touch pad on PS4 but as much as i hate to say it Kenect on Xbox is very useful kind of cool when you play battle filed and your character leans as you do on the chair for example.

I mostly FPS, but am guessing your looking for GTA V on next gen, would probably be better then on PS4 but then again Xbox are getting Sunset overdrive and the new tomb raider as exclusives and aslo getting GTA V so you might find that although games play better on PS4 you will have more to your taste on Xbox one.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

^^^^^^^^^^
This, seriously. Spend that money on a good gaming pc. You won't regret it.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
PCs are the first gaming rig of choice in this household. You build the initial and then you can upgrade piecemeal to keep 'em going and in the game.

Of course, we will be getting a console with the youngster getting a bit older. Probably a PS4 so we can all play together.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I hate PC's and use my Macbook for whatever photo editing and music production I need to do.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I don't game on my Mac. I don't game on a PC either. I don't like using a computer to play games, as I'm not a hardcore gamer. If I was, possibly.
edit on 29-8-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I'm not a hardcore gamer either. I just don't like shelling out $500 every time the console companies feel like putting out a new machine. With a computer, I can shell out a $100 here or there on an upgrade. It fits my budget a lot better even though I may end up spending more in the end than I would with the console.

My PC is not a top-line gaming machine, more like middle ground, but it's enough for me and plays whatever I need it to. It's adequate to the task.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You can build a respectable PC for about $500-600 that can be upgraded when necessary, and be attached or streamed to your TV, and you can use an Xbox controller to do it.

I don't know why anyone would want to give up the ease and versatility of a keyboard and mouse, but I like to call it "I can't believe it's not console!"
edit on 29-8-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Bingo!

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The one game that I have to recommend to you is: The Last Of Us. Get the remastered version on PS4. One of the best games in history. Absolutely killer game. It's an apocalypse-type of game with the best story and acting ever in any video game.

Another is Uncharted. Best game of all time, as well.

Red Dead Redemption by R* games is a western game that is flawless. If you like old westerns you will love it. It also has a great story and a sad, powerful ending. Very big open map.

Another is one of the best story-telling games. It's: The Walking Dead by TellTales Games. Absolutely incredible game.

Don't play Battlefield 4 PS4 multi-player whatever you do. You will become a junkie like me.

If you liked Fallout(hoping for FO4 announcement soon-fingers crossed) then you'll probably dig Elder Scrolls- Skyrim.
Gta V is okay.
Assassins Creed: Black Flag is alright.
MineCraft is addicting
FarCry 3 is a good game with a cool story. Check it out.

Just google the best games and start getting your money ready because it will be gone quick.

Oh, and if you've never played: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, then do so. My fav ES game.

Happy gaming and don't rage
on your controllers!!!!!

Oh, and I see the PC master race is here. :O

edit on 29-8-2014 by Fylgje because: to add

edit on 29-8-2014 by Fylgje because: forgot a game

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

What exactly is there to hate about a PC? I use my xbox controller on my Alienware laptop, hdmi it to my tv, and boom, I have a "console". You can do so much more with a computer than you can a console. What happens when your ps4 gets outdated by a new console and you want to play the new games on that? Buy a new console of course....or continue using your beast computer to play the new generation of games....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join