It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family of Bloomfield,Nm man shot by police claims shooting was unprovoked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Daily-times

Police said they were responding to a domestic dispute call on Wednesday morning and were confronted by a man with a deadly weapon. John J. Rogers, of Bloomfield, was pronounced dead late Wednesday morning in the San Juan Regional Medical Center emergency room. A police spokesman said the officers were not injured.

This is the second officer involved shooting in the tri-town area that has made the local news this year. This is another sad story in the Land Of Entrapment.
Seems like this is becoming the "norm" where cops get a call and get there quickly to just "get some action" and kill some one.

Billie Rogers, John Rogers' wife, denies she called police about a domestic disturbance at the household, located at 414 Ruth Lane. The family also denies John Rogers was armed.

"I was in the house cleaning, and my husband was in the garage working on his motorcycle," Billie Rogers said. "I saw a cop car pull up on the side, and I saw another one. They were heading everywhere. I heard a boom, and I heard another boom."

"There are still some good police officers, but there are a lot that are corrupt," daughter Dana Davila said. "It's a sign of the times — police brutality has gone viral."

The state police say J. Rodgers was armed and attacked the police with a deadly weapon. This is when the story first made the news Wednesday

Names of the officers havent been released as of yet and are currently on paid leave(doesnt surprise anyone) Hopefully the family will get the names and the lapel and dash cameras and get these cops in court. However the area is know for having a corrupt system.

Officer involved shootings seems to beoming the "norm" in the state of new mexico. Theyve changed the curriculum believing the police force isn't using enough DEADLY force. This is the state with the highest known MRAP's and who just recently recieved over 10 million in military gear. Bloomfield,Aztec and Farmington are waaaay to small of towns to have any of this.

We need to get this story out and heard. Small towns in new mexico have been experiencing harrassment but the stories never make the local news. (wonder why) New Mexico will be experiencing more lives lost due to immature training habits by local pd's.

Abe Rogers said he and his brother arrived in San Juan County from Dovecreek, Colo., in the 1970s. He said they worked for Halliburton for several years before becoming truck drivers.

"We got into this business and we fell in love with it."

Jonathan Rogers Jr. described his father as a "God-fearing, tax-paying man" who dearly loved his family, particularly his "grandbabies." Family members said he was a workaholic, supporting his family through countless hours of truck driving for his business, 2JZ Trucking Transportation Inc.

"He was in the trucking business for 30 years," Billie Rogers said. "He bought his own truck, and he paid it off, finally. That showed how hard he worked. He paid it off in four years. He had a million miles on it."

Billie Rogers said the truck was paid off about two weeks ago — they were supposed to take a vacation to celebrate.

"Now, only I can take a vacation," she said, in tears.

edit on 29-8-2014 by D3AD537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I don't know but I find it hard to believe the police are wrong everytime they take action.

If you attack an officer you should expect to be shot.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

"We are not commenting on what the family is saying," said state police Lt. Emmanuel Gutierrez. "We don't do that. We comment on our investigation, and that is it."

They won't comment on their investigation of themselves for some time either.

By the time they do and announce "justified" shooting (read that killing), the world at large will have moved on.

Independent monitoring of police lapel cams and independent review boards when police discharge their firearms that result in harm to civilians.

Check, check.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

True. but the dispute had to have been over already if J. Rodgers was outside working on his motorcycle. He had a gun in his truck that he never went for. I dont see what dealy weapon couldve been possesed according to his family. And to be honest i'd belive the family more than the cops around here. AND Randy Foster has been known to lie.ALOT. check this out and follow his story if you have some time. Here

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Police are using the term deadly weapon. I am going to speculate he was holding a wrench, pair of pliers, maybe a hammer when the police confronted him.
edit on 8/29/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Police are using the term deadly weapon. I am going to speculate he was holding a wrench, pair of pliers, maybe a hammer when the police confronted him.

It could have been a tool but I could hurt you with a wrench or a hammer....maybe not pliers. Just saying even a screwdriver can be deadly.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: D3AD537

I don't have a lot of time today but I will read the article asap. Thanks for the info.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
if police are going to use the 20 foot rule as a reason to shoot people then maybe they need to stay 30 feet away until they set what the situations is. Running up to a person, seeing a screwdriver or item in hand, and then using that as justification to shoot the person is just BS.
edit on 8/29/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

if police are going to use the 20 foot rule as a reason to shoot people then maybe they need to stay 30 feet away until they set what the situations is. Running up to a person, seeing a screwdriver or item in hand, and then using that as justification to shoot the person is just BS.

No.
If people just obeyed the police then took it to court there wouldn't be a problem.

To be honest if you tried to attack me and I had a gun then I'd shoot you. Sorry but....

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Walk into a garage, say 'hey you' and when the person turns with a screwdriver in hand he gets blown away. Sure that's OK.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Walk into a garage, say 'hey you' and when the person turns with a screwdriver in hand he gets blown away. Sure that's OK.

Obviously that's not what happened. I'm not going to attempt to hold an intelligent conversation with a person who is unwilling or unable.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I was posing a theory abut how police can use the 20 foot. I did not say that is how this incident happened. It hasn't been clearly explained.

Edit;

You assumed I was stating this is how this event happened.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

He was working on his motorcycle...cops here are very trigger happy..

(a few months ago i recieved a traffic ticket and while it was going down the officer had his hand on his gun the enitre time i was sitting in the car with my hands on the wheel.he stood about 3-4 feet away from the window raising his voice at me saying hes been chasing me for over six miles even though there was no one behind on my way to work. he even didnt believe i was going to work at 6am.)

Anyway the new curriculum is teaching them to use more deadly force. They have to always belive everyone has a gun, which is odd to me because in the state of new mexico everyone has the right to bear arms with without gov or local pd permission. The only permit you need is to Conceal-carry a handgun. It is an open-carry state here and people exercise that right all of the time. (me, only when we farm,lots of desert creatures that are dangerous) so it doesnt make sense to me but it does because the want a war with us..

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

how do you know when its appropriate to obey the police in an excalted situation like that. EXAMPLE: There was a story of a girl who SWAT raided her house (wrong address) she didnt know what was happening. she ran and hid in the closet..they found told her to get her hands up and she complied....they shot her...thats her account of the encounter.

Or theres the James boydd story. he was complying and they still shot him. As far as i know..if theyre absuing their power..you dont need to comply with them..unless you dont want any encounters at all but thats the problem with society...accepting and doing what theyre told

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I was just speculating how these guidelines are easily abused and the officer would not be at fault in most people's eyes.

I imagine you look over you shoulder a lot now.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Lets ask ourselves this question..How would we react after a dispute that calmed before officers arrived?..you work on your motorcylce and have tools in hand and cops outta nowhere show up with weapons drawn...The say turn around and you comply with (tool) in hand(((...remember...cops in new mexico are trained to believe everyone is armed and dangerous and are quick on the trigger...))) and one or both of the cops are very edgy already looking for action...what do u think is going to happen to yourself...think youll have time to let them know its not a weapon??

Ask yourself this too. Since he was working on the motorcycle, they dont require a big set of wrenches and tools to work on.Its a motorcycle..nothing with hydraulic lines or big tires like a diesel truck..The tools at most are slighty bigger than your hand or around the same size...

lets see assume im a cop i've got a bullet proof vest on..trained in hand-to-hand combat...young and fit..an elderly man about 60 supposedly appraoching me with something no bigger than your hand..get the picture yet?? lets not forget my partener who arrived with me on scene...the way i see it...2 vz 1...easily take down the elderly man with non lethal methods...

being new mexico...none of that matters..they shoot to kill

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I hear ya which sucks cause thats how its easily justified. only when they decide to follow me for 8-10 miles without pulling me over haha

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The family of the deceased are a good unbiased source for information, I'm sure.

If you have an object in your hand that's capable of killing someone and you act in a threatening manner toward police officers, you should expect to be shot dead. Simple fact is: they don't know you or what you're capable of and they will ALWAYS err on the side of going home alive.

It's really not a difficult concept to grasp.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Don't forget when they spray bullets all over the place, you get charged for their collateral damage. Fun times.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: D3AD537

Lets ask ourselves this question..How would we react after a dispute that calmed before officers arrived?..you work on your motorcylce and have tools in hand and cops outta nowhere show up with weapons drawn...The say turn around and you comply with (tool) in hand(((...remember...cops in new mexico are trained to believe everyone is armed and dangerous and are quick on the trigger...))) and one or both of the cops are very edgy already looking for action...what do u think is going to happen to yourself...think youll have time to let them know its not a weapon??

Ask yourself this too. Since he was working on the motorcycle, they dont require a big set of wrenches and tools to work on.Its a motorcycle..nothing with hydraulic lines or big tires like a diesel truck..The tools at most are slighty bigger than your hand or around the same size...

lets see assume im a cop i've got a bullet proof vest on..trained in hand-to-hand combat...young and fit..an elderly man about 60 supposedly appraoching me with something no bigger than your hand..get the picture yet?? lets not forget my partener who arrived with me on scene...the way i see it...2 vz 1...easily take down the elderly man with non lethal methods...

being new mexico...none of that matters..they shoot to kill

None of what you said is based in reality.

I guarantee you the officers told him to drop whatever was in his hand MULTIPLE TIMES. I also guarantee that you're adding a Hollywood spin on the whole thing and that you've never seen someone killed or permanently disabled by a single hit from a seemingly harmless object.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join