It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Storm? Hurricane Cristobal and the Icelandic Volcano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Let me preface this post by saying: I am not a weather expert, or well-versed in this subject at all.

Now that we have that established, I'll continue.

I'm always on the look-out for warning signs, patterns, anything that can give me advanced knowledge about a potential hazardous situation.

I believe I may have found one.

This is an image from the RSOE EDIS website, showing an overview of global disasters, emergencies, and hazardous situations.

I've zoomed in to show the track that Hurricane Christobal is on in the Atlantic Ocean. Although Hurricane Christobal is a hurricane at this point, it is expected to downgrade to a tropical storm by the time it reaches Iceland, due to the fact that it will be moving over cooler waters. However, even through this downgrade in strength, it will still remain a sizable storm.

At the end of it's track, you'll see Iceland. More specifically, you'll notice a few symbols indicating events happening in Iceland. This is due to the eruption of the Bardarbunga volcano, one that could result in a large amount of ash being propelled into the atmosphere.

Are you seeing the connection I am yet?

I'm noticing the potential for this to turn much more troublesome. Specifically, I'm noticing the possibility of this post-tropical cyclone to meet a massive cloud of ash, and disburse it more widely into the atmosphere.

What could the effects of this be? I have no clue.

Perhaps it would spread it widely over the Arctic Circle, causing the dark ash to settle over the ice, heating it up due to absorbing more heat from the sun (rather than reflect it like the white ice does) - which could case an increase in glacial melting.

Perhaps it could spread the ash high into the atmosphere, causing a more widespread fall-out towards Canada or other northern countries, causing mass disruption of air travel or more.

Perhaps it could just fizzle out and leave us in the clear.

I'm not posting this to fear-monger, but to simply alert others to what I have noticed, and to gain feedback and insight from fellow curious minds here at ATS.

Any opinions, predictions, or facts you all can share with me?

Let's hope this just fizzles out and causes no disruption at all, I'd hate to see a worse-case scenario happen due to a little cyclone and a volcano meeting.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

www.smithsonianmag.com...

Hurricane Vs. Volcano?
Or maybe they'll merge and become HurriCano!

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

My opinion...

Since most tropical storms are part of the engine of the planet to remove heat, they always end up breaking down when an equilibrium of sorts is reached between the amount of energy and heat in the hurricane or storm, and how much is distributed over the course of it moving toward the poles (which hurricanes tend to do)

That being said, I would expect that the storm would carry a lot of the ash into the upper arctic region, at which point some of it might get dragged into the jet stream and spread out across the planet.

I do not believe that there would be enough ash to cause any major change to climate or glacial melting because ash has a cooling effect on the climate not a warming one, so I wouldn't discount the fact that it "might" cause warming but I just don't see the physics adding up because the sunlight would be diffused by the ash not allowing the extra wavelengths of light to penetrate through the atmosphere.

While it does look like an interesting scenario unfolding, I don't see it as cause for alarm just yet.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne
He's referring to the theoretical potential for ash to fall on glaciers and sea ice rather than persisting in the atmosphere.

The ash in question would be darker than the ice, which would reduce the albedo and lead to melting, in this scenario.
Dark snow: from the Arctic to the Himalayas, the phenomenon that is accelerating glacier melting

Any reduction in albedo is a disaster, says Peter Wadhams, head of the Polar Oceans Physics Group at Cambridge University.

He said: "Replacing an ice-covered surface, where the albedo may be 70% in summer, by an open-water surface with albedo less than 10%, causes more radiation to be absorbed by the Earth, causing an acceleration of warming. "I have calculated that the albedo change from the disappearance of the last of the summer ice in 2012 was the equivalent to the effect of all the extra carbon dioxide that we have added to the atmosphere in the last 25 years," he says.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It's possible that the low pressure, if it passes over the island, could impact the eruption. Earthquakes could be enhanced by low pressure, probably.

top topics

join