It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Ammend Constitution for Arnold Schwarzenegger, President?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
In a push to enable Austrain-born Schwarzenegger to run for president as early as 2008, supporters of the former body builder and movie star are debating with naysayers whether or not to ammend the Constitution to enable him to run. He is currently blocked from running due to Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution. It reads, "No person except a natural born citizen ... shall be eligible to the office of president." The Equal Right to Govern Amendment was introduced in July 20030 by Senator Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and would allow the California Governor to run for the office of the President or Vice-President.

story. news.yahoo.com
Could America's infatuation with Schwarzenegger lead to passage of a constitutional amendment that would drop those bans - an idea that has died in Congress more than two dozen times since the 1870s? Probably not, but Schwarzenegger's rise in politics has led members of Congress and a few of the governor's wealthy California donors to launch a long-shot campaign that they have cast as an effort to guarantee equal rights for millions of foreign-born Americans.

If the movement gains significant momentum, it might create some interesting political scenarios. It could become a test of American attitudes toward immigrants in the post-9/11 era, and put a spotlight on the depth of conservative Republicans' feelings about Schwarzenegger, who supports abortion rights and gay civil unions.

The bar to the nation's highest offices is the only formal restriction on the rights of the USA's 12.8 million foreign-born, naturalized citizens, who are among the 34 million U.S. residents born abroad. Every year, 450,000 immigrants are naturalized, including 25,000 children adopted by citizens.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While everyone surely loves the guy in the movies, my feelings on this are no, absolutey not. For one, it would set a dangerous precedent. I think there is real value in having someone who was born and raised in the US only be allowed to be President. There are many values that are instilled in the American people from birth here. Those values may be lost if we were to allow a foreign-born person the right to be President. What are your thoughts?

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.blackcommentator.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Schwarzenegger Starts Bid for Presidency (from ATSNN)

[edit on 6-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Maybe the Obama citizenship law suits could tie into how this comes about.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Not an Austrian or a German, but I could go for a Swiss person.

Maybe someone from Finland. An Ozzie or Kiwi would probably be better, they always get along with Yanks and can drink us under the table.

If you're all worried about the NWO, why does it matter??

We may have a better chance with a foreigner.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by omnifiction
Maybe the Obama citizenship law suits could tie into how this comes about.

You've bumped a bunch of years old threads about Arnold in the last 10 minutes, wth?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Maybe he isn't an Arnold fan?

I met the guy, had a conversation with him and he seems like a good guy. Very funny and easy to get along with.

Bad politician though.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Arnold the groper isn't much good at budgets either. 40 some billion dollar budget shortfall (I think it was $47 billion to be precise but that was two months ago) for the state of California. He's begging for a bailout. It's pathetic that all he has for electability is his former movie star status. He's been a terrible Governor.
I guess the Republicans are absolutely desperate but knowing how stupid and how shallow so many voters are I guess it's not a surprise.
So we're going to change the constitution to give the Republicans a better chance in 2012? Why don't they dig up Reagan and change the constitution to give him another run?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
Arnold the groper isn't much good at budgets either. 40 some billion dollar budget shortfall (I think it was $47 billion to be precise but that was two months ago) for the state of California. He's begging for a bailout. It's pathetic that all he has for electability is his former movie star status. He's been a terrible Governor.
I guess the Republicans are absolutely desperate but knowing how stupid and how shallow so many voters are I guess it's not a surprise.
So we're going to change the constitution to give the Republicans a better chance in 2012? Why don't they dig up Reagan and change the constitution to give him another run?

Yeah this thread was started in 04. Obama has already won the election. Arnold wasn't given the go ahead to run.

I'm sure you can spread your anti republican rants on a thread that actually matters.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by jd140]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Yeah this thread was started in 04. Obama has already won the election. Arnold wasn't given the go ahead to run.

I'm sure you can spread your anti republican rants on a thread that actually matters.

Thanks. I'm sure I have a few more rants left in me and I feel fairly certain we'll be hearing more about this. Who do the Republicans have anyway? They need ***STAR ***power, sizzle, sex appeal!!!!! Something. They sure aren't going to get there on their failed economic policies.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Whatever man.

I have said this before and will continue to say it.

The whole Republican vs Democrate thing is old and tired. If you haven't realized by now that there isn't a differance in the two then you really aren't worth the time.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by Nventual

Maybe he isn't an Arnold fan?

I met the guy, had a conversation with him and he seems like a good guy. Very funny and easy to get along with.

Bad politician though.

If he will be pres of NWO- I am his fan.

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey

But but.. 2012 Elections and no no.. We may change the constitution to keep Obama in, there is 9 big lawsuits right now that are heading that way.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by omnifiction]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
We have already proven that the Constitution is irrelevant in Presidential elections. People have posted that Arnold is not qualified to run as President other than his Movie star status. There has been someone with far fewer credentials run and win.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Wasn't Obama actually born in Kenya? Or was that bunk?

top topics

join