It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I expect more.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I've not posted much to this (ATS) forum overall. Responded on a few titles, even debated poorly in a few threads (or more). I see great arguments with links to back up an argument so often. . . But rarely do I see both sides doing the homework. Recently I've seen individuals making arguments without any form or substance with the expectation that the members should be able to debate without fact.

My son is 3 weeks old today ( 3 weeks and over 12 hours.[ Squee, as my wife would say]). This website is one I hope to raise my child on; currently I am concerned for the content in regards to a two sided debate. Sometimes it's on the OP, sometimes its on the posters.

The citations were a huge part of why I enjoy this site.
Why have we as members stopped caring about this tradition?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I agree for the most part but I think there are certain things where one does not need to provide a link. By this I mean, things that one is talking about that another can enter into a search engine and easily pull up that information. It is similiar to common knowledge I suppose but might take a little effort. Also, I don't think there is a need in normal plain discussion unless asked...I've done this a few times knowing I could provide a source or citation but didn't as it was comon chit chat on the thread, not debating. I figure, if someone wants the source, they will ask...or yell for.

It is the more in depth and obscure information that links and citations are needed if there is a debate going on. There are quite a few as you pointed out where very specific and/or detailed information is being discussed or debated and one fails to provide source material. Also, I would like to see more civility and perhaps tact of everyones interaction with one another. Name calling, trolling, yelling are uncalled for. We are all here to question, everything. We each may hold certain beliefs that we strongly hold onto and do not want to let go, be it conspiracy or drinking kool-aid (what have you) but that does not mean we can't be adults.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It doesn't matter. No matter how many facts with sources you post, there are some people who will argue with you and choose to remain ignorant of them through the duration of the argument. They don't want to hear it. They'll beat the argument to death, despite their wrongness, and won't even look at what's real, despite you showing it to them.

Sometimes denying ignorance with links to scientific or historical facts is impossible. It's really discouraging to someone who posts facts to not get through to people who choose to ignore them.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Me too a reply to: randomtangentsrme

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Your point reminds me of the old witch trials. "Burn her! Burn her at the stake!" (and voices shout out from the crowd "Yeah! Burn her! BURN HER!"

It seems the tables of imbalance in the world...will remain so for the foreseeable future. Crowd mentalitiy, with little or no research to form an independent and educated decision on things.

So as in-to providing links or research info??? "Burn her at the stake! Yeah! That right! BURN HER!" (Why? Because everyone ELSE is yelling it!)

Just because. BE-CAUSE! *(sorry...no link)
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I was thinking at Idiocracy when the police are shooting up the Lawyer's car and he is cheering along with the rest of the crowd.

Very much like the witch trials, a great parallel.

The crazed mob mentality is dangerous. It does seem like they use this mob mentality to sell all sorts of things.

top topics

join