It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain-eating amoeba found in St. John Parish water system, state health agency reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Brain-eating amoeba found in St. John Parish water system, state health agency reports

The water system in Reserve, Garyville and Mount Airy has tested positive for a potentially deadly brain-eating amoeba, the state Department of Health and Hospitals said Wednesday. Officials say the Naegleria fowleri amoeba was found in samples taken from St. John the Baptist Parish's Water District No. 1, which serves 12,577 people in those east bank communities.

There are no known cases of illness from the amoeba. But officials warned residents to take precautions against getting water in their nasal passages, which is how the amoeba can move to the brain.

"Families can take simple steps to protect themselves from exposure to this amoeba, the most important being to avoid allowing water to go up your nose while bathing or swimming in a pool," state health officer Jimmy Guidry. "It is important to remember that the water is safe to drink; the amoeba cannot infect an individual through the stomach."

Stay save Louisiana...I still wouldn't drink that water myself. What is with all these cities having various nastyness going on in their water systems? I mean, besides the obvious poisons they are putting in our water...this, Detrioit, and wasn't it Portland or somwhere that had a sanitary/sewage issue?

Anyway, more an FYI for those in that area!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I wonder if MMS would be effective for purification?
It works for pools, and you can drink it to kill off other such pests too they say....any ideas?
It does have a protocol, but ive also ate it in just water, counting on stomach acid to activate it....

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Greetings- I think You'd find that the Portland water debacle was brought on by video taped evidence of some 'tool' (pun intended) peeing in the drink. This led to the Oregon city to pump out the water...

Maybe this is why 'many' municipalities provide their citizens fluoride for their tap? This 'could' act as a cleansing agent along with ALL the other great things that fluoride provides...

Shirley- I'm jesting..

namste

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Greetings- I think You'd find that the Portland water debacle was brought on by video taped evidence of some 'tool' (pun intended) peeing in the drink. This led to the Oregon city to pump out the water...

Maybe this is why 'many' municipalities provide their citizens fluoride for their tap? This 'could' act as a cleansing agent along with ALL the other great things that fluoride provides...

Shirley- I'm jesting..

namste

That's it! Thank you, I didn't feel like searching for that while I was replying on another thread. At least they took actions, though perhaps overreaction to just one dumb person urinating. What's concerning here is

Water District No. 1 was sampled as part of the state's surveillance program and was found to be out of compliance for maintaining minimum disinfectant levels set to control the Naegleria fowleri amoeba.
In March, St. John's west bank water system was among 73 cited by the state for being out of compliance with the emergency order that its drinking water contain the increased level of chlorination. At that time, the parish performed a chlorine burn on that system.

@sitrline...MMS???

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
So they're telling residents to simply not get water up their noses to prevent a brain eating parasite from entering their heads? How do you wash your hair or face without getting a bit of water in your nose? Even pinching it closed wouldn't prevent that competely.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I think the peeing in the drink was a false flag. I think they knew there were these critters in their water supply. Notice they are now talking about them being there, after they got rid of most of them already after draining the reservoir.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

what about people who use nettie pots and those squirt bottles up their noses to clear out allergins and mucus.....makes you stop and think....doesn't it??

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: rickymouse

what about people who use nettie pots and those squirt bottles up their noses to clear out allergins and mucus.....makes you stop and think....doesn't it??

The Amoeba can't live well in salt water. Put a little salt in the water beforehand and let it sit. I can find a lot of articles about them only living in freshwater, but nothing of how long it takes salt to kill them. I can't find out how much is necessary either, but the ocean is not that salty and they can't grow in that. I've swam in the Ocean and it didn't hurt my nose at all, in fact it was like a little salt in the nettie pot.

But, you always get a little water up your nose when you shower or wash your face, Maybe Covering your head with an airtight plastic bag would be advisable when showering. You could use a little bungy cord to keep it tight around the neck.
Naw, just kidding, I am not afraid of getting water up my nose.

Chlorine in the water should kill this amoeba.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

A brain eating parasite would starve in the American South.

Although it might get a snack in New Orleans.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Wow... The health authorities and water provision people have responded badly to all this! The correct answer to discovering a deadly brain eating amoeba in the drinking water, is to immediately act to strip it from the water supply, while advising that people in the area use alternative water sources, and providing bottled water.

It may well be that this brain eating microorganism only enters the brain through the nasal passages, but the authorities are not taking into account in their response, people who may have certain conditions which mean that other entry points might be possible throughout the body, like abraded trachea, ulcerated areas of the digestive process....

I think it foolhardy and irresponsible of them to ask people to take such asinine precautions, rather than simply putting in alternative sources of water until the main source has been de-contaminated.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I just hate those brain-eating amoebas! ....Maybe TPTB didn't realize what "New World Order" really meant.

F&S

new topics

top topics

join