It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Study Evolution, Scientists Raise Fish That 'Walk' on Land

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

I simply couldn't quote you on that - Because you didn't say it. But you used this post, which is regarding fish that can walk and breathe on land, as a forum to tell creationists that they have virtually nothing to hold on to. That's where I drew my links.

you are welcome to refute my statement, if you so desire. show us how creationism (pick a version) is an entirely valid theory by which to approach the study of biology and all related fields of science.

I'm glad your mind is open, but your disregard of creationism seemed like it was at least a little closed. I mean, i'm not 100% in to creationism. And i'm not a "God nutter" but I am willing to accept there are 2 sides to the coin. And I don't think that's a bad thing to think - It at leasts keeps me open to the ideas of others outside of Evolution. And yes, that even means God, Religion, Aliens, God(S). I'm open to reading and understanding all of them to the best of my ability rather than tell them how little they have to hold on to.

are you open to the cheese moon and flat earth theorists, as well?
edit on 30-8-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I simply couldn't quote you on that - Because you didn't say it. But you used this post, which is regarding fish that can walk and breathe on land, as a forum to tell creationists that they have virtually nothing to hold on to. That's where I drew my links.

you are welcome to refute my statement, if you so desire. show us how creationism (pick a version) is an entirely valid theory by which to approach the study of biology and all related fields of science.

I'm glad your mind is open, but your disregard of creationism seemed like it was at least a little closed. I mean, i'm not 100% in to creationism. And i'm not a "God nutter" but I am willing to accept there are 2 sides to the coin. And I don't think that's a bad thing to think - It at leasts keeps me open to the ideas of others outside of Evolution. And yes, that even means God, Religion, Aliens, God(S). I'm open to reading and understanding all of them to the best of my ability rather than tell them how little they have to hold on to.

are you open to the cheese moon and flat earth theorists, as well?

Let's not get silly.

I'm not stating Evolution isn't legitimate (to an extent). I'm just saying it doesn't explain everything - which is why we must keep our minds open. Not to silly theories. But why is God a silly theory? Why are Aliens a silly theory? or many other theories people choose to believe.

The earth is round - Silly theory once upon a time. And now here you are using the Flat Earth theory as an example to call anyone who believes more than cold hard scientific data illogical. Steady on - we don't have all the answers yet.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I live in Florida. Occasionally schools of walking catfish are spotted after heavy rains.

Those who can not see evolution in action are blind.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Good find. S&F It's always interesting to see the scientists closing the gaps in the theory of evolution. I wonder if a Creationist would consider this fish a transitional species? Probably not.

To me creation happened, but there is nothing wrong with this thread topic being a pivotal moment in evolution. I find no reason to toss out whatever science learns about our past and how this planet evolved in lieu of a closed minded attitude that demands I say creation took place 6k years ago or some silly crud lol..

I think creation happened over 15 billion years ago, the earth came a lot later than that, in my honest opinion..
And walking fish gave rise to turtles and skunk apes.. ( ROFL) I wonder though, even without having believed creation happened, this theory about walking fish being a pivotal moment in evolution seems a but far fetched, but if the theory proves out, then I'm good with it..
A transitional species? Sure, why not?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Let's not get silly.

I'm not stating Evolution isn't legitimate (to an extent). I'm just saying it doesn't explain everything - which is why we must keep our minds open. Not to silly theories. But why is God a silly theory? Why are Aliens a silly theory? or many other theories people choose to believe.

there are theories which ignore the evidence at hand or acknowledge evidence which hasnt yet appeared. it is these theories that im not comfortable with accepting, and thats what im expressing. you see it as close minded, i see it as critical. if you want to know how good a boat is, try to sink it.

i would also like to thank you for your patience in this discourse. i am a difficult person to communicate with at times, so i appreciate the effort.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Let's not get silly.

there are theories which ignore the evidence at hand or acknowledge evidence which hasnt yet appeared. it is these theories that im not comfortable with accepting, and thats what im expressing. you see it as close minded, i see it as critical. if you want to know how good a boat is, try to sink it.

i would also like to thank you for your patience in this discourse. i am a difficult person to communicate with at times, so i appreciate the effort.

I think you've been a rather decent person to communicate with. We can't all agree at times, however, I enjoyed your metaphor regarding the boat. But any boat will sink if enough people try hard enough

edit on 30-8-2014 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2014 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasmThe experiment is very interesting but I also would like to know about the abe sapien sketch. I made one just like it 10 years ago for a reason. It is very close to your depiction. May I ask about it...sorry that I went off topic...it just got my attention big time.

I do think that there could be a "fish" of sorts in the ocean or at least may have been, a long time ago that had both humanoid and fish characteristics. Not why I'm asking about the sketch tho.

Not saying that "we" evolved from those fish/humanoids...just speculating that such may have existed...a separate species unto itself.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

Abe Sapien Is a character from Mike Mignola's Hellboy comics.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

I live in Florida. Occasionally schools of walking catfish are spotted after heavy rains.

Those who can not see evolution in action are blind.

how long do you think they will be walking around before they run for office?

or how long have they been walking around?

edit on 3104578331am2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

Your ignorance is showing as usual.
At least explain why you don't believe it and back up your claim with fact.
The thing is with you creationists and ID people is that people like the OP and others show you the evidence but no matter what it is you come back with the same ignorant comments like when will it change into a monkey.
So go on show me any evidence that refutes the claim that this fish has not evolved.
all the evidence points towards evolution and some still refute it.....sad really.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
# the bible.
You have already made up your mind up about evolution if you think the bible has any scientific answers in it.

I wouldn't go as far as that personally, to each their own.

I think 'God' gave every living creature the genetic ability to adapt and overcome in order to survive and thrive.

He gave us the means by which we find ourselves now in trying to figure his # out.

This 'Ape' hits the reply tab

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   

That's the thing God can go hand in hand with evolution. I see it as she made the laws and threw the dice and everything we see are the outcome.
I think the people who deny evolution are scared because according to their books they are the most advanced evolved (lol) creatures when we are all evolved the same...but different if you get me.
I remember a certain member who keeps bleating about monkeys asking for evidence of any creature going through evolution someone showed them this fish...still denied it.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The Island of Dr. Moreau and Frankenstein come into mind.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Why?
But it would be funny If something like that happened

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

We also have gar that breathe air.

Perhaps spending some time in nature watching the animals and plants would help you open your eyes and see evolution in action.

Some questions deserve no answer.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: np6888

Did people read the article? It said that they "raised" it, so yes, that is cheating. First, we need to know what they mean by raise. If by raise they mean pumping them a ton of oxygen and food that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise, then that's not them adapting to the environment, that's us adapting to them.

'Raised' means that they "raised" it in an aquarium, exactly as one would raise goldfish or guppies.

The Bichir is not a newly discovered animal, they have been known about 'forever'. According to Wikipedia:

Bichirs are popular subjects of public and large hobby aquaria. They are sometimes called dragon bichir or dragon fin in pet shops for a more appealing name due to their dragon-like appearance. Though predatory, they are otherwise peaceful and relatively inactive, preferring to lie on the bottom, and make good tankmates with other species large enough not to be prey. Bichirs in captivity have life expectancies up to 10 years.

A listing of other 'walking fish' can also be found on Wikipedia.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

If you discredit creationism completely because you see a fish that can move on land then, I'd suggest it's just as closed as the creationists you seem to dislike so.

Don't be ridiculous. No one discredits creationism in favor of the MES because of one fish.

It isn't one fish. It is everything that is known about every single biote on the planet, now and in the past. Everything that is known about biology on Earth, past and present, gives evidence for evolution. Everything.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

It was a generalisation. No need to get sassy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join