It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun Puzzle, see if you can solve it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

I hope this isn't a spoiler but perhaps Instead of "cut it out" maybe "print it out" would work better.

"Nan Desu Ka?" means something like "what is it?" in Japanese.....Japan.....think origami.

If you fold it the right way.......you get your coordinates. (I guess)

Testing this theory since this morning but all I've got so far is a livingroom floor filled with assorted origami shapes......no luck so far. Will keep you updated.

Peace

PS: I'm assuming the coordinates would have to look something like:

N xx xx.xxx
W xxx xx.xxx

puzzles are fun!!

right right right and right, your on the right track,

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye

originally posted by: VoidHawk

So whats the answer?

shall we spoil it already? no ones solved it yet..

I WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER!!!!!

lol

then perhaps give it a go at solving it?

SPOILER: as part of the puzzle to keep it unguessable, the location is not special or unique, it isnt something that will mean anything, just a random place, just letting you know so as not to be a let down once the answer comes out, the point isnt really the location, the point is just solving the puzzle. which no one on ats has accomplished yet!
edit on 8/30/14 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

then perhaps give it a go at solving it?

I have, I printed it out and have folded it in every way I can think of. The only thing that stands out is that right in the centre is the number two.

ENOUGH!
Thats it, I'm going to set fire to it!!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Huh...you did not notice that one 4 that's mirrored?

I guess through folding that should be half an "N" for North....or something.

I have been folding the entire weekend....my wife hates these things!!

Not given up!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

I was able to get the first whole numbers of the coordinates and OP confirmed I was in the right region...can't seem to fine tune it to anything after the decimal though. I know this is ripped off of a geo-caching website as well, so I know what the answer is already...I just want to figure out how to get there!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I GOT IT!!!

Wheeeeeeee.....

Finally after folding for 4 four days I got my coordinates.

Brillant puzzle!

For obvious reasons I am not going to share the sollution here.

(location is in the proximity of Sherwood, Oregon)

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122
What do you mean you got the first whole number? if you fold it the right way the entire north/west coordinates should be visible so I do not understand how you managed to only get the first part.

I also believe the OP does not have the answer to this puzzle and is trying to solve it by posting it on ATS.

the coordinates posted on Geocache also aren't the coordinates we are looking for so I wonder how you could already know the sollution without solving the puzzle.

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

because I asked the OP and he confirmed i was in the right state... ?

Oh, and because there's more than one way to solve it. Rather then printing out 1,000 piece of paper and folding all weekend, I overlayed the image on top of a folding diagram.

May I ask, why so sour about a puzzle?
edit on 3-9-2014 by parad0x122 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: parad0x122

May I ask, why so sour about a puzzle?

Sharp observation skills!

I am a bit sour but not so much with the puzzle.

I'm a bit sour for a number of things:

1.) While diving into this puzzle (and the Geocache community) I have noticed how much dedication and love these people have for their hobby. A key part is keeping any sollution you find to your self because it would ruin the whole experience for fellow Geo-cachers. Therefor I do not understand why the OP created this thread with the risk of an ATS member posting the sollution.

2.) If you are trying to solve this puzzle by overlaying it on a folding diagram (which, I must say, is an ingenius approach
) and you communicated with the OP about your findings he should have told you that your technique will not solve this puzzle.

3.) And third (but not less important) your statement:
"I know this is ripped off of a geo-caching website as well, so I know what the answer is already.."
No you don't. Put please correct me if I am wrong.

All-in-all I get the impression the OP does not have the answer him self and is counting on the collective brainpower of ATS to solve it. Which is fine ofcourse but he should state this in his OP.

On the other hand...I could be completly wrong in my conclusion so I will forward the north (or west) coordinates to the OP and in return I would like to receive the west (or north) coordinates as verification.

Apart from these issues this has been a wonderful puzzle experience!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I agree with you on the solution part. Bad form to post the answer on a publicly searchable forum, the OP should just PM people with the answer if they want it. The lat/long that I found using the overlay method (which apparently doesn't work) were really close to the city that you posted in Oregon as well. The reason I said I knew the answer is because a geocacher commented on the webstie I found it on, and said something along the lines of "What a great cache, probably the best in XXXX", so I assumed that was the answer. The place the user posted was pretty close to the location you posted too, so I think you're right on the money with your answer. Any suggestions on other good puzzles? I love these type of things, it helps keep the mind sharp.

FWIW, this was my first attempt at a geo-cache puzzle as I'm new to this, I didn't realize it was commonplace to place your cache hints in the form of a puzzle. Pretty neat idea.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122

It was only through this puzzle that I got to find out about the Geo-cache community but they seem like such nice people that it just doesn't seem right to spoil somebody's hard work.

If you'd like I can send you some clues to solving this puzzle or I could send you a picture of my (not so great) origami object with the sollution so that you can see for yourself why the overlay methode wouldn't work. (It's a 3D object and perspective is everything)

Any suggestions on other good puzzles? I love these type of things, it helps keep the mind sharp.

I just scan the off-topic section of ATS for good puzzles. I have a ton of puzzle sites but I have found that solving puzzles collectively with the nice folks on ATS is way more fun!!

ATS staff creates these crazy puzzles every now and then, look out for those, they are the best!!

Anyway, see you at the next puzzle.

Peace

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Yeah definitely, they do seem really nice. I've gone looking for one once, but it wasn't as much of a puzzle as it was a riddle to know where to look. If you have any links to puzzles on here, feel free to shoot them my way! Also, yes, please post me a picture of the object. I'm wondering if I picked the wrong origami shape lol.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: parad0x122

If you have any links to puzzles on here, feel free to shoot them my way!

All puzzles on ATS get solved I believe so no links to puzzles that haven't been solved yet..

Completely off-topic but if you like puzzles, maybe this is a great suggestions for the coming winter months...

Absolutly crazy puzzles!!

I got both (silver and bronze) last christmas and it took me forever to get them complete...

Peace

edit on 3-9-2014 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Holy CRAP! Now THAT is a puzzle, lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
i didnt include that this was from a geocache website as i knew it would give you a lot more hints about solving it then the puzzle creator intended for you to have, but i figured people would dig that up anyhow, the thread it was posted in has tons of comments with little tips that lower the difficulty level of the puzzle if you read them all.

and honestly you think re-posting a puzzle to a different website is bad form? i didnt post the solution, so how is it bad form? i didnt link this site on the geocahes website in fact i made no mention of this site in my postings on the geocache website, i knew someone might post the solution publicly here but had figured it wouldnt matter if they did since this isnt the geocachers website.

if someone was searching for the answer to this puzzle and they came to this site that shows they are not interested in solving it themselves since it isnt linked to here in the original posting.

(which, I must say, is an ingenius approach
) and you communicated with the OP about your findings he should have told you that your technique will not solve this puzzle.[\quote]

he did not tell me his technique. he messaged me asking if it was in a city, THATS ALL HE SAID, i replied affirmative, he made no mention of any technique. btw how freaking ironic that the only one who has posted the actual location in this thread is YOU the very one being critical of others for posting the location in this thread (which they havnt done) also btw, your location is off. so despite your efforts to spoil it, you still havnt.

oh and then after you say that you then post to call me out as if i dont know the solution and wanted you to find it for me?

so your telling me its bad form for the solution to be posted here publicly (which i havnt)(which you tried to) then you tell me i dont know it myself and are trying to get you solve it for me (which i do know it and could care less how you feel about the assumption of yours) but if i did want to prove to you i knew it id have to post it here which youve already stated how thats bad form, so damned if i do damned if i dont then.

sour, ya thats a pretty damn sour taste your comments left in my mouth, thanks for the insults. hope you enjoyed the puzzle

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

btw how freaking ironic that the only one who has posted the actual location in this thread is YOU the very one being critical of others for posting the location in this thread (which they havnt done) also btw, your location is off. so despite your efforts to spoil it, you still havnt.

The location I posted was the wrong one on purpose just to see how you would react. I really wanted to know if you were not leading people on untill one send you the correct answer.

I know my sollution is the correct one so why not show me wrong and U2U me half the coordinates you have and I will send you the other half (incl. pictures of the finished project).

I'm sorry, this website is notorious for it's sceptical users and sometimes people call you out on things.

I still remain of the opinion that posting this particular riddle online is bad form towards the community that created this puzzle. If you read the comments you would see that some people have had this puzzle lying around for several months without being able to solve it. No where online can an answer be found and that is probably because these people do not want the answer online...

Peace

<< 1   >>

join