It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camel replaces bear on California flag

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Well, this is just sad in so many ways. Apparently, the California Water Foundation changed our lovely bear to a dried-up looking camel standing on sand in an attempt to get the government to pass groundwater pumping regulations. I wasn't aware that they had that kind of power.

California Water Foundation modified the state’s flag by replacing the grizzly bear with a desert camel to draw attention to the drought.

Source: fox5sandiego.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Don't believe it!! It's really for the Muslims.

J/K... I had to get it in before somebody else did because you know it's coming.

I didn't know they had the right to do that either though. That is strange. I suppose it will work for what they want it to. This will likely be a headline all over MSM before nightfall. I'm not sure how much good it will do, but it will certainly get some attention they are seeking.

I can hardly wait to see Alex Jones foaming at the mouth over this...
edit on 8/28/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Sooo are there camels in that state that aren't in a zoo? I'm always amazed in the way people just think differently than I do.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: graceunderpressure

well, they do need to bring attention to the drought. at least this didn't cost tax payers millions of dollars to do. one flag and now we all know.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
An Ostrich would be more appropriate.

Or a sheep.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

J/K... I had to get it in before somebody else did because you know it's coming.

I didn't know they had the right to do that either though. That is strange. I suppose it will work for what they want it to. This will likely be a headline all over MSM before nightfall. I'm not sure how much good it will do, but it will certainly get some attention they are seeking.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. That IS the Muslim sympathizer's at its finest. Who ever authorized that should be charged with a crime against American values, American heritage, and attempting to incite a riot. That is a flag I would burn in a protest!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If it were the American flag, it would be illegal -

US Code Respect for US Flag

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

But we are talking about a state flag, not the national one.

Texas flag codes follow national flag codes.

I don't know about California. I'm looking them up now ....

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

well, they do need to bring attention to the drought. at least this didn't cost tax payers millions of dollars to do. one flag and now we all know.

I'm all for bringing attention to the drought, but replacing the state flag doesn't sound like a "just one flag" proposition to me. They seem to be in lots of places.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I knew it was illegal for the American flag, but wasn't sure about the state flag. I guess I just assumed that it was the same. Thanks for checking in to it.
I didn't even think to do that.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
California is a free for all state, I doubt its illegal but one can always hope.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Did R.J. Reynolds (maker's of Camel cigarettes) have a hand in this?

Great free advertising!

On topic: I really don't think this flag is going to draw any attention to the water shortage. It's just going to infuriate native Californians.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Found it. It's against the law to put the camel on there.

California State Laws on Flags

California: It's a misdemeanor to cast "contempt" on a American or state flag by "publicly mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning, or trampling upon it."

By putting the camel on, it has been defaced.

California Flag Codes - How to fly the California Flag with the National Flag

Forbidden flags in California

California
prohibits the display of the "red flag or any other flag in a public place" as a sign of violent opposition to organized government. No state military group may carry other than the U.S. or State flags. *note*: in 1931, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned this law

Info on California Flag .. why the bear .. etc

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 8/28/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thanks, Flyers -- great idea. This source doesn't say anything about following US flag rules, but it does lay down some pretty specific rules about the flag according to the Government Code of California Codes, including:

The length of the bear diagonally from the nose tip to the rear of right hind paw is two-thirds of the hoist width; the height of the bear from shoulder tip vertically to a line touching the bottoms of the front paws is one-half the length of the bear...

It also says that the flag was adopted by the state legislature in 1911. So, how can the Water Board just traipse in and change it? Probably poor reporting from Fox News. I bet the Board is just proposing the change.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

So, this has me thinking, Flyers. Didn't they know it was illegal? Or perhaps they did know, and figured it would therefore raise a kerfuffle? Excellent and quick research, by the way.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: govmule

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. That IS the Muslim sympathizer's at its finest. Who ever authorized that should be charged with a crime against American values, American heritage, and attempting to incite a riot. That is a flag I would burn in a protest!

You do know that camels originally came from North America right?

www.history.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If its illegal maybe they can replace that poor dehydrated camel with something more pleasant to look at.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Found it. It's against the law to put the camel on there.

California State Laws on Flags

California: It's a misdemeanor to cast "contempt" on a American or state flag by "publicly mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning, or trampling upon it."

By putting the camel on, it has been defaced.

California Flag Codes - How to fly the California Flag with the National Flag

Forbidden flags in California

California
prohibits the display of the "red flag or any other flag in a public place" as a sign of violent opposition to organized government. No state military group may carry other than the U.S. or State flags. *note*: in 1931, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned this law

Info on California Flag .. why the bear .. etc

Excellent find! Now I hope the Attorney General of California pursues this disgrace before a riot starts.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: govmule

You do know that camels originally came from North America right?

www.history.com...

You do know that you came from Africa right?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I went to an official California state site.

The official flag has not been changed.

It appears the water board just took it upon themselves to "make" a new one
for "shock" value to bring attention to the water crisis.

When I first saw this I thought it was a joke.

However, it is neither a joke nor an official change in the state flag.

Just some dumb bureaucrat trying to make a point

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: graceunderpressure
Didn't they know it was illegal?

Didn't know. Didn't care. Either way, it's illegal.

There is no respect for the American flag nor the state flags. When we go to Memorial Day parades and the American flag passes by, almost no one stands from their fold up chairs, almost no one puts their hands over their hearts, almost no one takes their hats off. I've seen the state flags raised to the same level as the National American flag. I see people with flags out front of their houses left out all night in the dark and in the rain. (the law says they are to come in during bad weather and not to be out after dark unless spot light illumination is on it) I know I"m old school - (over 50 years old) and an Army Veteran so perhaps I'm more sensitive to those things - but people don't follow the flag laws and it makes me sad.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join