It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls in Colombia Struck by Mystery Illness, Parents believe it's vaccine reaction.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
A mystery illness has overwhelmed a small town in northern Colombia as scores of teenage girls have been hospitalized with symptoms that parents fear could be an adverse reaction to a popular vaccine against cervical cancer.

Authorities say they still don't know what caused more than 200 girls in El Carmen de Bolivar to come down with symptoms ranging from fainting to numbness in the hands and headaches. Some have hinted that the town of 95,000 near Colombia's Caribbean coast could be experiencing a rare case of mass hysteria.

Parents are on edge however because all the girls, ranging in ages from 9 to 16, were injected in recent months with the vaccine Gardasil. On Wednesday, residents marched peacefully to demand a thorough investigation.

Francisco Vega, the town's mayor and a trained physician, told The Associated Press that illnesses first appeared at the end of May and have been steadily increasing since. Over the weekend 120 girls were rushed to hospitals, collapsing the town's limited medical facilities. None of their symptoms were life-threatening and all have since been released, he said.

Health Minister Alejandro Gaviria is criticizing hyped coverage by the media for stirring panic, saying concerns about their vaccine, which has been applied to 2.9 million women in Colombia, are baseless.

Mass hysteria? I have heard of mass hysteria in some African communities in the past but I don't know if I believe it in this case. Well I don't know, seems like too much of a coincidence that all these girls are falling ill after getting the vaccine.

link

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Most likely a bad batch of vaccines, most of the vaccines in south America came from first world country, Germany and USA mostly, i always though they send the crap to us but also is a long trip by sea/ unloading in the port / customs, so refrigeration can fail in the process spoiling the vaccines.

Obviously some people will try to blame it to mass hysteria, its cheaper that way

Store refrigerated at 2 to 8°C (36 to 46°F). Do not freeze. Protect from light.
GARDASIL should be administered as soon as possible after being removed from refrigeration.
GARDASIL can be out of refrigeration (at temperatures at or below 25°C/77°F), for a total time of not more than 72 hours.

edit on 28-8-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

yeah i doubt they would ever admit to a problem anyway, here's 'Mercks' response -

Veronica Trulin, head of communications in Latin America for Merck, said all lots of the vaccine, including the ones sent to Colombia, meet all required quality and safety standards.

"We don't comment on speculation about our products," she said in an email

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
My partner is a product manager for NBTY (Holland and Barrett)

She always says "if your body needed it, it would produce it, barring an illness"

Vaccines are the same in my eyes. A Cure for cancer would be great, but nature will always find a way around it.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Of course all those ill young ladies have to be delusional. That really makes no sense. I have an aunt that died from cervical cancer and I still wouldn't take that vaccine.

The temperature issue brought up above nit withstanding that vaccine isn't worth it.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

Regarding Gardasil, there have been thousands of complaints, many deaths, and $6 million in settlements paid out to victims here in the United States alone.

www.yourlawyer.com...

The Truth About Gardasil - March 28, 2013

truthaboutgardasil.org...

edit on 28-8-2014 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Briles1207
My partner is a product manager for NBTY (Holland and Barrett)

She always says "if your body needed it, it would produce it, barring an illness"

Vaccines are the same in my eyes. A Cure for cancer would be great, but nature will always find a way around it.

Really? Why do we need to eat or drink water? Our bodies need what those things provide because we can't just produce those nutrients out of thin air. There is nothing wrong with taking something into your body to help fight/prevent a disease. Vaccines are not inherently wrong in and of themselves. We've "cured" lots of diseases with vaccines.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined
And 27,000 new cancer diagnosis each year in US alone relating to HPV.
Benefits of taking vaccine even using the worse case reaction figures produced by anti vax websites pretty clear.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Briles1207

What about, for example, diabetics?

Anyway, vaccines are for preventing illness. Our bodies aren't always so good at that.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Didn't this happen in NY as well? Girls that didn't know each other all getting sick hospitalized. I forgot where.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Just an FYI, South American countries are infamous for using animal pharmaceuticals as human products without any real safety testing. Are they sure this is Gardasil, and if so, are they sure this has been properly handled before use?

Note, I don't trust Gardasil even when done correctly, but South American protocol is fishy at best. My husband is in a position to know.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I agree, but patented, manufactured drugs made by profit-making organisations are not the always answer. I believe there is a plant, or combination of plants, for every ailment. Some have been discovered and outlawed by big pharma, others still remain to be discovered.

Of course, plants alone cannot deal with everything, particularly prevention, and vaccines can play their part when used responsibly. But we live in an ultra-capitalist society where greed drives the motives of the not only the drug companies, but the health services that distribute them too. And the human element always creeps in at some point, where genuine mistakes are made.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Just an FYI, South American countries are infamous for using animal pharmaceuticals as human products without any real safety testing. Are they sure this is Gardasil, and if so, are they sure this has been properly handled before use?

Note, I don't trust Gardasil even when done correctly, but South American protocol is fishy at best. My husband is in a position to know.

The vaccines are from 'MERCK' an American pharmaceutical company, it's one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Did they verify it, or is it just a report? Merck also has an animal pharma division. Many of the pharma companies do. So just saying it's a Merck product doesn't mean much. They can say it's Gardasil and from Merck and it might not be what they are saying it is.

And it may be that if they were given something that was adulterated it wasn't Merck's fault. They can sell the product on the up and up to the country, and if the country chooses to use it irresponsibly, then it comes to the government health service.

It's hard to say. It could be Gardasil. It could be that Gardasil was not handled appropriately creating an adulterated product which created side effects. It could be that the country tried to stretch the product and adulterated it. It could be that this wasn't Gardasil but something else from Merck that people were told was Gardasil. Any one of these could create the problems.
edit on 28-8-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes they do say that it was Gardasil, here is another link,

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

That doesn't mean it was actually what they received.

Parents are on edge however because all the girls, ranging in ages from 9 to 16, were injected in recent months with the vaccine Gardasil. On Wednesday, residents marched peacefully to demand a thorough investigation.

This is all your link really tells us. It wasn't even quoted by an official, and the photo is just a stock photo, not one taken from the site.

You have to read between the lines of what the officials are saying.

... he [the Mayor] said there’s no evidence the vaccine, which has undergone extensive testing and regulation globally, is to blame.

Notice how they refer to extensive testing and regulation globally? Why not talk about the extensive testing and regulation in Colombia? That's because Colombia relies on other countries to do its testing. It does next to none itself, and certainly wouldn't have done any if they were using something else as Gardasil or were adulterating the vaccine in some way.

Veronica Trulin, head of communications in Latin America for Merck, said all lots of the vaccine, including the ones sent to Colombia, meet all required quality and safety standards.

This is likely also true, but what she's not going to say is what might happen if the vaccine is not handled properly once it gets there or isn't put to the intended use or even dosed improperly. They make it and send it and provide information for how it should be used. If it's not done correctly or people are given something else and told it's Gardasil ... that's not Merck's problem.

Again, I'm not letting Merck off the hook as I don't think Gardasil is the best stuff out there, but I'm also somewhat suspicious that perhaps things were not handled well in this particular town when it comes to this vaccination or perhaps they have something else going on. Even in other places, the side effects from this have not been so pronounced in a population.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

vaccine against cervical cancer.

None of their symptoms were life-threatening and all have since been released, he said.

ok,, they are now immune too cervical cancer,,,so your point being??

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Gardasil is used around the world, and we have over a decade of experience with it. One cluster of illness, at one point in time, in one location, is not indicative of an overall problem with Gardasil. It could be an indication that there is something unique or unusual happening with that cluster. Gardasil is neither unique nor unusual, unless they somehow got a bad lot, or it was contaminated after delivery. Alternatively, it could be a statistical aberration, and there isn't anything unique or unusual at all going on.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome

vaccine against cervical cancer.

None of their symptoms were life-threatening and all have since been released, he said.

ok,, they are now immune too cervical cancer,,,so your point being??

My point being? Was I making a point???

Merely sharing a news article with ATS and discussing it, who knows what went wrong? mass hysteria? mishandled vaccine? faulty vaccine? the reason I post is to share and discuss the information at hand with the community. If these were mere ordinary side effects do you think it would even make the news? Yes thankfully none of the symptoms were life threatening, but it is still something to share with people, in my view anyway

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Who knows what happened? All we know is that they got the vaccines from Merck, mishandled on the Columbian end? yeah maybe, a bad batch? also maybe, mass hysteria, as unlikely as it seems? we just don't know, I doubt we ever will.. Thankfully in this case not life threatening.

top topics

join