It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Camera Could Prevent Police Brutality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

originally posted by: Biigs
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

theres easily enough storage for every minute of every day. Compression and video tech can easily handle it.

But will any of it be public? Hell no

If a case is called into question then it damn well should be IMO. But again... we need to start somewhere. If we just say, "Nope... We'll never get to see it" or "Nope it will be tampered with", etc. then we don't get that start. We don't get that first step in the right direction. We give up before we get started and doing that?? We will never fix this. It will be impossible.

We need to start with getting all of them to wear cameras, then we can work on where it's stored, who can access it, who can release it, etc. We can't give up before we start.

i really agree.

even if they dont actually record everything simply having it going to make cops and the public behave.

but we do have the ability to record everything very easily and people know that, weather we dont or do at least they are aware they are being watched.

I work in IT and i can say for sure it costs very little for storage space, they can easily hold HUGE amounts of data, if nothing happens on your shift delete it, you dont need to hold everything forever.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

in an addition to that, somone else should review the footage at 10 speed just to check it before the officer who requests its deletion isnt covering anything up

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

in an addition to that, somone else should review the footage at 10 speed just to check it before the officer who requests its deletion isnt covering anything up

I agree. They could even keep the footage for something like 90 to 180 days and then delete it if there have been no complaints filed before then. They usually have (I would assume) at least one officer sitting behind a desk due to injury, it wouldn't be too hard for them to go through the tapes at the end of the waiting period and delete the ones they no longer need on file.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I agree. They could even keep the footage for something like 90 to 180 days and then delete it if there have been no complaints filed before then. They usually have (I would assume) at least one officer sitting behind a desk due to injury, it wouldn't be too hard for them to go through the tapes at the end of the waiting period and delete the ones they no longer need on file.

if somthing did happen cop or incident wise, youd definitely speak out before 90 days.

So i definitely agree, 90 days sounds like a very reasonable period of time

who would wait 2 years to complain or claim?

edit on b19191240 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

if somthing did happen cop or incident wise, youd definitely speak out before 90 days.

So i definitely agree, 90 days sounds like a very reasonable period of time

who would wait 2 years to complain or claim?

I don't know if any that would wait. I suppose that's why there are statutes of limitations already. If one has a complaint then they would have plenty of time to file one. If it goes beyond the 90 days then one would have to wonder, why now and look for other reasons it took so long like revenge.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Cops already know they are being video filmed and they do their deeds anyway. The department just puts them on paid leave and then comes out with some kind of statement. When it blows over they resume. LE departments actually HIRE enforcers usually a couple per shift, and 'loose cannons' to enforce things and makes sure they have plausible denial.

But if, in practice complaints and incidents go down, then it's a good thing. I'd say make sure they cops can't turn it off.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick7
Cops already know they are being video filmed and they do their deeds anyway. The department just puts them on paid leave and then comes out with some kind of statement. When it blows over they resume. LE departments actually HIRE enforcers usually a couple per shift, and 'loose cannons' to enforce things and makes sure they have plausible denial.

But if, in practice complaints and incidents go down, then it's a good thing. I'd say make sure they cops can't turn it off.

Again... I agree. It does no good if it can be turned off and on at the officer's will. I am sure that would be possible with some equipment/adjustments.

I think they should buy some cameras and let some of the "enforcers" go into early retirement. Shine some sun on things for the first time in a while.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
thats a great point, can they just turn it off and brutalize somone or is it permanently on.

kind of spoils the idea of having it if the officer can just turn it off when he or she likes.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Can't wait for the new episode of the "Most dangerous police videos: Foot Patrol".

This is probably a beta version of a camera. Ideally the full design could record nonstop and send all footage to the officers assigned Vehicle with the range of few miles. Another way is to have to police put some more strain on their backs and another utility to their belt in form of portable hard drive or extra battery packs.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Heruactic
Can't wait for the new episode of the "Most dangerous police videos: Foot Patrol".

This is probably a beta version of a camera. Ideally the full design could record nonstop and send all footage to the officers assigned Vehicle with the range of few miles. Another way is to have to police put some more strain on their backs and another utility to their belt in form of portable hard drive or extra battery packs.

Adding to their weight would just add to the benefit.

I can't remember the last time I saw a police officer that couldn't stand a wee it more exercise...

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

There is a serious issue for wearing too much gear on the belt though. Not everyone is batman. Most regular on-duty cops need to wear back support for the belt. It is close to being uncomfortable to wear, until you empty few magazines and a can of spray.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Heruactic

There is a serious issue for wearing too much gear on the belt though. Not everyone is batman. Most regular on-duty cops need to wear back support for the belt. It is close to being uncomfortable to wear, until you empty few magazines and a can of spray.

It was a joke. My apologies. I should have used more emoticons.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join