It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor Bans College Students From Saying 'Bless You' In Class

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady
All I can say is thank god. Wish I was in his class. I can't stand it when people bless me for sneezing. I don't receive the sacrament when I fart in public. If I burp it's considered rude even though to me it means "that was a good meal." Why is this one unstoppable bodily function blessed? Because people used to think you were expelling demons when you sneezed. That's witchcraft and it has no business in civilized society. Here here and good riddance I say.

Agreed. I haven't said it in 15 years. Why do we, as a society, feel it's necessary to chime in with a superstitious statement when someone has an uncontrollable bodily function?

The professor has a good point. The sneeze is enough of a disruption without a handful of people saying "bless you" and getting the subsequent "thank you" from the sneezer. It's an unnecessary distraction from the lecture.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

It's just stupid. If this guy can't keep his train of thought amid casual, hushed common courtesies--in other words, he has to be an asshole to maintain his version of "proper decorum"--then he probably shouldn't be a teacher.

there is also a possibility previous students made a joke out of it,maybe the whole class was saying it to the point of annoyance...if this was the case this strategy is pretty effective in making not happen again.... if not he could just be a power tripper who knows...seems like a "you had to be there" thing

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

there is also a possibility previous students made a joke out of it,maybe the whole class was saying it to the point of annoyance...if this was the case this strategy is pretty effective in making not happen again.... if not he could just be a power tripper who knows...seems like a "you had to be there" thing

That would imply that he completely mismanaged the classroom close to the point of mutiny.

Again a display of total ineptitude, if that was indeed the case. Maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit as a social provocateur.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That would imply that he completely mismanaged the classroom close to the point of mutiny.

Again a display of total ineptitude, if that was indeed the case. Maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit as a social provocateur.

that really depends on the age of the kids....if they were anywhere from say (16 -20)...chances are they were playing up.....i went to tafe to get my horticulture diploma in my early 30s and i sat in on a few classes with the younger students and it was eye opening to say the least...i would have sent me spare being a teacher to kids that age

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join