It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you guy thin about the new ID card Bill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
Because they are not us. If they want ID cards, fair play, let them have them. If ID cards are going to be of benefit to THIS country, we'll have them too.

- You don't see comparisons between similar countries as having value?

No, i'm not drunk. I wasn't drunk when i posted this or when you tried this lame attempt at humour/argument last time. Spain may be whatever you say but it is still not the UK.

- I didnt say they were the UK. But absolutely yes, they are quite similar to us in many ways.

Why do you want to dismiss this and not consider their view?

There are also many modern western democracies which do not have ID cards, maybe we should take them as an example instead, eh matey?

- I'm all for that.

I'm also for examining the ones that have them too.

What's wrong with that?

We are already in the 'camp' of those that do not have them, surely we should be looking at those that do have them if we are thinking of changing this position?

The Iran/Cuba thing was to show that what works for one country may not work for another.

- But why not stick to those relevant and close to us in culture? Why on earth start bring outer Mongolia, Cuba, Nth Korea or Iran into this. We know they have different ways anyway. Surely the best value comes from looking at those closest to us in ways, practices etc?

LMAO. So these guys who can apparently get fake passports and drivers licenses will be using legit ID cards. pfft.

- I don't know what you imagine Chris but I suggest you go look at how things work now.

Criminal and terrorists are often caught out in the useage of their 'legit' documents, even though some of the time they use faked ones.
They're not all 100% careful all the time and they do trip up on this stuff.

Yeah, because if i'd just commited a crime and was asked to produce my documents on the way, i'd definitely turn up to the police station later on. /sarcasm

- What, you've never heard of a criminal using his own real driving licence when stopped and this later tripping him up?

I didn't say anything about a criminal turning up at a Police station.
What are you on about?
But how about the cop making a note of a discription/car/truck and that something was bothering him at the time he/she issued the 'producer' but couldn't quite work-out?

It might seem funny to you or unlikely but it happens.

Sorry to derail the thread but I had to answer these queries, won't happen again, sorry, Chris out.

- You didn't.

[edit on 26-12-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- I didnt say they were the UK. But absolutely yes, they are quite similar to us in many ways.

we both want Gibraltar

sorry i couldn't resist

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I dont think this is a good idea, i mean we are watched everywhere we go.
There are more camera's watching britain than any other country IN THE WORLD.
I can understand the idea but really we are brining this on ourselves.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
I dont think this is a good idea, i mean we are watched everywhere we go.
There are more camera's watching britain than any other country IN THE WORLD.
I can understand the idea but really we are brining this on ourselves.

- Maybe if we had proper systems in the first place but the most I read about how the UK Police works the more I think there is a need for modern 'connected' systems.

The county system seems pretty antiquated and the - until very recently - lack of 24/7 data links etc seems pretty archaic.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- Maybe if we had proper systems in the first place but the most I read about how the UK Police works the more I think there is a need for modern 'connected' systems.

The county system seems pretty antiquated and the - until very recently - lack of 24/7 data links etc seems pretty archaic.

Yeah our whole country seems to be behind in everything, except tech...even then we are behind by a bit.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Yeah our whole country seems to be behind in everything, except tech...even then we are behind by a bit.

- I think it's kind of our way.

We don't like what we see as unnecessary change, we take a lot of convincing (not that there is anything wrong with that) but by the time we do see a 'need' it probably means we have to make even bigger - more worrying - leaps to come up to date than that which we originally put off in the first place.

.....and of course being late and the last one to move usually means it's also the most expensive way of doing things.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yeah, ID cards won't be so bad if they aren't checked everywhere you go. Just you know, when needed in certain situations. Woo, I can proove my age! The card I got from school isn't accepted in alot of places, how annoying.

Yeah, we kinda need to integrate our sercurtiy systems and the whole service more, its all in disarray. Usually British "Leave it until it's urgent" Attitude. If it works to some degree, wait 'till it breaks.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join