It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zara removes striped pyjamas with yellow star following online outrage

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

High street retailer Zara has pulled a striped shirt featuring a yellow star on the front on Wednesday after social media users likened it to the uniform worn by Jewish prisoners in concentration camps during the second world war.
The striped “sheriff” T-shirt, aimed at children aged three months to three years, drew criticism for a design which featured white and blue stripes and a six-pointed yellow star on the front. The star itself had the word “sheriff” written across it, which was not completely clear in the zoomed-out images on the Spanish chain’s website.
But from first glance, many people felt the shirt bore too close a resemblance to the striped uniform and yellow star Jewish prisoners were forced to wear during the Holocaust.

Here is the offending kids top -

To be honest I think this is really stupid, I mean if I walked past that in a store I would just think that it is a cute kids top, it wouldn't even cross my mind that it was manufactured to look like a concentration camp uniform. I get that when you look at them together like below that they are similar, but I honestly don't think that there was anything sinister at play here, just another excuse for people to get riled up over nothing!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I learned long ago people complain over a maybe a possibly and just because the complaining makes them feel good.

I'm with you, it looked like a costume like Pajama shirt. Now those that have it may be stigmatized.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

oh jeez, I can't stand people who feel the need to play the holocaust game in this day and age. They need to understand that the world is a different place that it once was, in many ways the world is opposite to what it was 70 years ago.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Now those that have it may be stigmatized.

or hypnotized, it makes my eyes go funny just looking at it.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy
Don't forget Halloween is around the corner. Pajamas that can be costumes is a very good way not to waste money on something kids wear one night.

edit on 27-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

My fashion sensibilities are offended.
HORIZONTAL STRIPES?

Never flattering...the bane of prints...even for children.

How dare they!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
A whole world full of people just incessantly searching for something to keep them awake at night in the throws of enormous offensiveness to give meaning to a meaningless life.

I would say that I've never seen the like... but that would be a ginormous lie.

edit on 8/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Are you too easily offended?

Here’s a test:

Do you explode in fits of anger over little things?
Do others say you make mountains out of mole hills?
Do you frequently take things the wrong way?
Do others feel they have to “walk on eggshells” around you?
Do others consider you “high maintenance”?

If so, your hypersensitivity is robbing you of happiness.

I know it’s much easier for me to tell you to stop taking things so personally than it is to actually stop taking things so personally. Still, there are ways to thicken your skin and enjoy life with more happiness and less contention and hurt feelings.

10 Ways to Stop Taking Everything up the Butt
Click for Full Article

I am sometimes not noble enough not to give offense, however, I do make the attempt, even though I do sometimes fail, and I try very hard not to take offense.

I think here is a good time for people to hear the 10 ways to train yourself not to take everything to heart, and not take so much offense over everything. We can all use a bit of help from time to time in this area, and I am not exempt either.

The Jewish community also can use a bit of clarity and training in this area, since I have never seen a crowd who, as a whole, seems to take offense over the slightest thing. A babies T-Shirt that says "Sheriff" ... I've heard it all now!

edit on 27-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Personally to me it's a sheriff's badge and little kids put the stars on their shirts all the time.

But, I can understand it from the critics pov. Yellow star, reminds some of the Holocaust and persecution.

It should be up to the consumers in my opinion. Or maybe they could just make it a rusty brown colored circle with Sheriff written in it. Don't know. Can't please anybody. S + F

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Somebody tell these guys

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Those are some ugly shirts so I imagine they would be big sellers with people today.

They should leave them for sale and see how the sales go with them.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Does it come in mens? Id buy it for PJs that way I can tell my new chick theirs a new sheriff in town oh la la =D Ill get her a bandit mask and all

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Kind of stupid and petty.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I am offended by those who were offended by the ones offended of the shirt.

To the one who said the world is opposite of 70 years ago......check out the goons waving the black flags with white squiggleys all over them. Mass murder is too cool to wear shades on social media these days, so in that sense it is opposite because the idea was to hide their mass murders 70 years ago not make it a public relations campaign.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

aw I loved those guys lol.

but yeah, stick a sheriff badge on them an they become offensive

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lady_Tuatha

High street retailer Zara has pulled a striped shirt featuring a yellow star on the front on Wednesday after social media users likened it to the uniform worn by Jewish prisoners in concentration camps during the second world war.
The striped “sheriff” T-shirt, aimed at children aged three months to three years, drew criticism for a design which featured white and blue stripes and a six-pointed yellow star on the front. The star itself had the word “sheriff” written across it, which was not completely clear in the zoomed-out images on the Spanish chain’s website.
But from first glance, many people felt the shirt bore too close a resemblance to the striped uniform and yellow star Jewish prisoners were forced to wear during the Holocaust.

Here is the offending kids top -

To be honest I think this is really stupid, I mean if I walked past that in a store I would just think that it is a cute kids top, it wouldn't even cross my mind that it was manufactured to look like a concentration camp uniform. I get that when you look at them together like below that they are similar, but I honestly don't think that there was anything sinister at play here, just another excuse for people to get riled up over nothing!

hey, not too long where we are all just grey goo.

that's where these idiots are taking us, unless we kill them all.

yeah, i said it. their lawyers too.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
How bizarre.

I've never seen a sheriff wearing anything like these stripes.

A Star of David on prison stripes invokes memories of Auschwitz to me.

The design has nothing 'Old West' about it.

I don't understand why anyone would buy this product?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Just what is wrong with their eyes? vertical stripes versus horizontal stripes, they really cannot see the difference?
Those rose tinted spectacles should be banned.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Note how the scale of the Sheriff badge is 100% consistent with that of the holocaust victim's uniform and not even close to the size of an actual Sheriff's badge.

Having been sucked in by JDL propaganda in the past, I have NO DOUBT this FAKE event was created to raise awareness of Anti-semitism.

That 90% of the peeple here are oblivious to it doesn't surprise me in the least.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

- It does remind me of the Auschwitz uniforms. Even with the stripes the wrong way.

- Law enforcement didnt' wear stripes. So why the stripes? Stripes like that aren't fashionable IMHO. Their designers must have been drinking when they drew them up.

- Bottom line ... it's just a really ugly pajama top and I'd think there would be a low market for it anyways. I would have pulled it because it's ugly ... not because of the alleged Auschwitz similarities.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join