It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Omaha LEO shoots/kills "COPS" crew member

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yet another officer involved shooting of an innocent:

www.kansas.com...

Omaha police say officers who opened fire while disrupting a robbery killed a crew member with the "Cops" television show and the suspect, who was carrying a pellet gun.

How do the police manage to keep surprising me day after day? Just when I think I've seen the limits of their stupidity, they go and pull something like this.

Pretty much every episode of "cops" I've seen, the camera crew stays behind the cops in a 'reletively' safe zone. How the heck did these numbskulls manage to shoot one?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonweld

www.kansas.com...

Omaha police say officers who opened fire while disrupting a robbery killed a crew member with the "Cops" television show and the suspect, who was carrying a pellet gun.

How do the police manage to keep surprising me day after day? Just when I think I've seen the limits of their stupidity, they go and pull something like this.

Pretty much every episode of "cops" I've seen, the camera crew stays behind the cops in a 'reletively' safe zone. How the heck did these numbskulls manage to shoot one?

Sometimes they don't stay out of the way.

The show has been on air for about 20 years and this is the first incident like this. Even Mythbusters blew a cannonball through a building, sometimes accidents happen. I am sure the policeman didn't do it on purpose.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lonweld

Be sure of your background.

Huh, what??! I can't hear you with all the shots being fired!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Well if the suspect had lived, he'd probably be charged with 2nd degree murder. That's how far LEO's and their unions have gone void citizen's rights and abuse their illegitimate authority.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Seriously, if the LEO were responsible for a $10,000 fee for every bullet they fired at a human being this problem would end quickly.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonweld

www.kansas.com...

That sucks, however I'm sure no one can be sued, as I am sure the crew member signed a form understanding the risk they were undertaking. Also, if you're gonna commit a crime and wave a toy which looks like a real gun, at cops....expect to be shot. I would shoot the idiot too. This isn't abuse of power...wtf do you expect the cops to do? Ask if its real and if they said no take the criminals word for it? Get real. These actions have consequences... As do following cops into the action...to later sensationalize it on teevee.

The real problem here goes beyond who shot who and for what. The real problem is that society still does this and the show will go on. Sensationalizing the strong arm of the law...to make a buck.

I actually caught an episode of COPS not long ago, and hilariously after them showing a high speed chase where a speed strip was used, a commercial for run-flat tires followed LOL ....you can't make this $#!* up!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish lol You want to charge the cops to protect you. Do let me know when that law goes into effect cause i have my eye on a few things that are not mine at the present time.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

While the cops that they choose to use for their TV show should be masterful in public relations, it looks to me like the camera gets them all hyped up. It was crew member, this time. Could easily have been an innocent bystander, a customer.

edit on 27-8-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Sometimes............... I really love what you have to say
Sometimes.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The stupidity lies with the guy robbing the restaurant. I notice you didnt mention that "numbskull".

Do you seriously think all cops can shoot like Clint Eastwood did in the movies?

And a $10,000 fee for every bullet fired? seriously? how about the death penalty for armed robbery. Maybe that s@#t would stop too.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Cops are so silly. They don't know how to handle anything.
Bumbling machines enforcing laws that make no sense.

edit on 8/27/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

The death penalty has absolutely no impact as a deterrant for crime in the US. When you are prepared to kill, you will kill regardless of consequence. To sentence death for anything other than killing is "cruel and unusual".

RE: the OP....we would need to see specifics to determine if the cop was at fault, or if some stupid production member wandered into the line of fire. For now, this is just inflammatory nonsense from the media, and a perfect example of some of that NLBS that we keep hearing about.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The LEO have never needed more incentive not to fire. The only thing that seems to matter to some people is money. So cost them money.

My view on all these shootings is the LEO didn't value the life they were so quick to take. I'm certain they don't want to work for free. They'll value not shooting even if they still don't value the life that gets saved.

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Iamthatbish lol You want to charge the cops to protect you. Do let me know when that law goes into effect cause i have my eye on a few things that are not mine at the present time.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: RodNasty
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Sometimes............... I really love what you have to say
Sometimes.

I do try. You should see the assanine things I type when I'm not abiding terms and conditions.

Tyty!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Nobody said anything about Clint Eastwood. American LEOs would take dozens of bullets in a hail of fire to hit the broadside of a barn. This has been proven time and time again.

Charge them for defending me? The police have never once in my life defended me let alone in a hail of gunfire..in that scenario id do my own shooting

Some of you act as if the police wipe their ass for you. I do not get it. The only times I have called them they were extremely unhelpful and made me feel as if it were my fault. (My car was broken into)

All they did was demand my ID and tell me I must have left it unlocked...gee thanks.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm sure it was on purpose.

I'm not understanding how you can say the shooting was caused by "stupidity". Unless you can show that the officer was shooting wildly, then you're just speculating. I'm sure things tend to speed up when you're in the middle of a gun fight. Ever heard of tunnel vision? I've never been in the middle of one, but I'm sure it's quite stressful and things tend to get blurry.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I live in the area. It's been pretty big news.

Here's a summary:

Officers respond to robbery in progress but see another robbery on their way
    COPS cameraman rushes into the restaraunt with the officers
    COPS sound tech gets stuck in the vestibule
    Robber fires his weapon and tries to run out through the vestibule
    Officers respond by returning fire
    COPS sound tech had a vest on but was struck in the armpit, robber died

The airsoft gun:

Taurus handgun:

It was very unfortunate. The only thing I could possibly fault the officers for was the number of shots they fired. Given that, I would have likely reacted in the same way they did.
edit on 27-8-2014 by links234 because: bad coding

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

The officer swears he thought he had a weapon and wouldn't drop it when ordered.

Then rushed him and he was fearful for his life .

new topics

top topics

join