It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed Huey P. Newton Gun Activists and Black Panthers Marched Through Dallas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

Thanks for the rundown, I appreciate your time and effort to set the tone for that permits and all. My view point about B.P. Party and MLK is an older one steeped in the roots of both.

Times have changed I guess, not sure about whats being portrayed now.

Black Panther party origins

ETA to add:

Google search result for MLK nonviolence
edit on 27-8-2014 by intrptr because: link

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus No doubt they have the right to any name they choose. My point is that the name brings to light race right from the time one hears it. That in its self is a hurdle for people to overcome if they choose to look into the situation. At the same time it gives the members a sense of black pride. that same pride is at the heart of fringe groups. It is kinda like setting yourself up for failure or stacking the deck further against yourself. Sure they have the right but we are really talking about mental battles here.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

I do not share your view. If one wants to have pride in one's ethnicity I do not think that it is necessarily a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm all for gun rights and even open carry, ANYWHERE. The problem I have with this little march and "show of force" is the reason why they are doing it. What triggered it? A shooting of a black guy by a white person. Where was this group after every drive by murder? Why are they just now coming out? Racially motivated? For sure, which is exactly why I have a problem with this event.

---The woman in the passing car shouted, "Black power!" And the gun-rights advocates lined up on the sidewalk outside Forest Avenue Baptist Church on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard returned the call.---

edit on 27-8-2014 by 2wheelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2wheelvet
What triggered it? A shooting of a black guy by a white person.

Actually, if you read the Original Post, the march was scheduled prior to the Brown shooting.

And even if it were for that, who cares? The right of assembly is another of those pesky rights we have in that document.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus i did not say it was a bad thing. It is not for me to judge because i do not know the motivation they had when deciding the name. I am saying that it brings color into the mix of a race war. I wonder what side of the redskins football team name debate you are on. That was the whole reason for calls to change the name because it denotes color into an activity and is viewed by some as counter productive to the point of being offensive to some. I think they should all keep the names if they want but we should recognize that it is a problem for some from the start and any message they have will have to overcome the first thought of race and pride that they instilled into the mind of the ones they try to sway. It is counter productive to racial tensions.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Well of course it brings color into it, there were black men being lynched by the clan.

The Redskins name does not bother me.

I do not view people theough the prism of race, maybe it was where I was born and the racial composite or maybe it was my parents. Could have been both. Either way I support the people in the Original Post.

Everyone should freely exercise their Constitutional rights with fear of recourse.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
From days gone by…

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Why do you consider shouting "Black Power" to be "violent" or a "show of force"? This was a NON-VIOLENT protest.

Oh, I wasn't citing the cry of black power, just the "armed parade". On "Martin Luther King" drive, in front of that church.

His call to Demonstrate would have excluded the firearms and you and me both know what would happen if those "peaceful protesters" marched into Ferguson brandishing arms.

With all due respect, I don't think they had Dr. King, in mind when they were marching

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian

Right but let me add a touch of reality and truth to this OP claim that is not so accurate, the Black Panthers laid the ground work and foundation for the modern gun rights movement , they were not followers, if you study history, the Black panthers were always touting their gun rights, what happened to cause a wave of laws, of course eventually endorsed and signed off on in the District of Columbia and later backed by the Great Reagan, it was ok for Klansmen to do this sort of thing for years, but in the 60's and 70's the Black Panthers were rarely seen without armed members to mostly protect themselves against the police.

The fear they instilled when marching in Washington on some occasions was enough to get the ball rolling to start imposing carry rules, laws and ownership stipulations, that is the real skinny, the OP has a good post but this is nothing new, the Black Panthers always had backup regardless, until some people started to fear what might happen, so they commenced fashioning the backbone of many of the laws that regulate or ban guns.

NRA was pro gun control until

Excerpt from the above link

" While today’s NRA takes hardline positions against even the most modest gun control measures, this was not always the case. Throughout its history, the NRA supported gun control, including restrictions on gun ownership, and was not focused on the Second Amendment.

But the organization had a change of heart in the 1970s when the Black Panthers advocated for an individual right to bear arms. Ironically, the Panthers were the founders of the modern-day gun rights movement, which became the purview of predominantly white, rural conservatives.

The ambiguous reading of the Second Amendment notwithstanding, gun control is as old as the Republic, and the amendment was not interpreted as an absolute in the early days of the United States. There was a balance between individual rights and public safety.

For example, slaves and freed blacks were barred from gun ownership, reflecting fears that African-Americans would revolt. At the same time, the founders proscribed gun ownership to many whites, including those who would not swear their loyalty to the Revolution. And contrary to legend, the “Wild, Wild West” had the most severe gun control policies in America.

Meanwhile, the Black Codes of the post-Civil War South were designed to disempower blacks and reestablish white rule.

This included the prohibition on blacks possessing firearms—a law which was enforced by white gun owners such as the Ku Klux Klan, who terrorized black communities "

Bravo

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Good for them! Responsibly exercising and Using your Constitutional rights is the way to go.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
About time that minorities discard the Leftist propaganda on guns and get back on the right path.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Interesting I haven't seen this in the MSM. As an evil gun toting American citizen that enjoys my second amendment rights I say YES and YES loudly. Many times I have said gun legislation affects minorities more than anyone else. When the "Saturday Night Special" legislation was proposed my immediate thought was they were taking away the ability of people with a lesser income to buy a firearm for protection.

The 2nd amendment doesn't designate race, creed, or color. These protections are for everyone.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1

originally posted by: intrptr

Why do you consider shouting "Black Power" to be "violent" or a "show of force"? This was a NON-VIOLENT protest.

Oh, I wasn't citing the cry of black power, just the "armed parade". On "Martin Luther King" drive, in front of that church.

His call to Demonstrate would have excluded the firearms and you and me both know what would happen if those "peaceful protesters" marched into Ferguson brandishing arms.

With all due respect, I don't think they had Dr. King, in mind when they were marching

Noted. As well, someone made the distinction to include what street they were marching down. I was just clarifying his (MLK) take on "marching with guns".

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus No doubt they have the right to any name they choose. My point is that the name brings to light race right from the time one hears it.

The reason race is a focus is because black people were (and are) TREATED unequally. This country has a history (and a present) of treating black people worse that it treats white people. That's what this is all about. The Black Panther's origin is about the police force's (apparently) legal oppression of black people.

That in its self is a hurdle for people to overcome if they choose to look into the situation.

That is, indeed, a hurdle for you to overcome. I have been successful. I invite you to join me.

At the same time it gives the members a sense of black pride.

Hallelujah! What's wrong with having pride? It's the same thing with ANY group that has historically been oppressed, kept down, treated unfairly, shamed, etc. Look at gay people and women. They have also been treated unfairly, oppressed, and been made to feel ASHAMED of who they are, instead of proud of who they are. Once they decide to claim their place in this world, they feel proud of who they are for the first time in their lives. What's wrong with that?

The people who instigated the necessity of the "PRIDE" movements of black people, gay people and feminism and those who oppressed them in the first place. Don't blame black people for their pride. Thank the white slave masters. This is part of our history. And until black people are TRULY treated as equals in this country, their "pride" is something you're just going to have to endure. I celebrate it, myself. Again, you're free to join me.

It is kinda like setting yourself up for failure or stacking the deck further against yourself.

I think they can figure out how to handle their racial pride and power without your input. All you need to do is observe and celebrate with them. Really. They can handle it.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

The reason race is a focus is because black people were (and are) TREATED unequally. This country has a history (and a present) of treating black people worse that it treats white people. That's what this is all about. The Black Panther's origin is about the police force's (apparently) legal oppression of black people.

I would say that the American Govt is just plain hostile to all US citizens today.

If we are talking about Govt, Race is just a classification on a card.

If more people actually took the time to know their rights...and exercise them, regardless of the color of their skin, this out of control Govt would have to reign in their actions.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2wheelvet
The problem I have with this little march and "show of force" is the reason why they are doing it. What triggered it?

If you don't even KNOW the reason they're doing it, how can it bother you? You don't know the reason, but you have a problem with it? Let me help.

The open-carry march and rally was organized by the Huey P. Newton Gun Club, named after the man who co-founded the Black Panthers in 1966, to promote self-defense against police brutality and community policing in response to recent police shootings, particularly in South Dallas, but also across the country.

Source

Why are they just now coming out? Racially motivated? For sure, which is exactly why I have a problem with this event.

That is just ignorant. They've been "coming out" since 1966! Were you even born then?

---The woman in the passing car shouted, "Black power!" And the gun-rights advocates lined up on the sidewalk outside Forest Avenue Baptist Church on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard returned the call.---

And???
edit on 8/28/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I disagree when you say are treated unequally, now. Minorities are everywhere, and in all positions of power. Be it as a politician, or in the corporate world. It's just a crutch.

What people really need to realize is that the only race that matters is the human race. Your skin color matters about as much as your hair color, or your eye color. It is who you are, and what you do that matters.

Sure there are racists, there are also pedophiles, and murderers. You can't get rid of the evils of the human brain completely. However, to say that racism exists to such an extent that it keeps people from doing whatever they want in society, that is completely false.

Obama proved that, and we should all be glad that he did.
edit on 28-8-2014 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I wonder what side of the redskins football team name debate you are on. That was the whole reason for calls to change the name because it denotes color into an activity and is viewed by some as counter productive to the point of being offensive to some.

It's not because it mentions color. It's because the word "Redskins" historically was used as a derogatory name for a Native American. There's a history here that you're obviously missing. There's nothing derogatory about "black".

I think they should...

Why don't we just step back and support them in whatever THEY decide to do? mmm-kay?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I wonder what side of the redskins football team name debate you are on. That was the whole reason for calls to change the name because it denotes color into an activity and is viewed by some as counter productive to the point of being offensive to some.

It's not because it mentions color. It's because the word "Redskins" historically was used as a derogatory name for a Native American. There's a history here that you're obviously missing. There's nothing derogatory about "black".

One could argue that any reference to a person's color marginalizes yourself, and diminishes the beauty of the human race, as a whole. Self-identifying as one color or another, is as ridiculous as saying you are Blue-Eyed, or Brown-Haired. That's the point people are trying to say.

I hope that there is a movement in this world to go beyond the physical. Yes, appreciating where you come from is very important to one's well being, and the preservation of history. But, a human being is just that, and promoting whatever color they are merely denigrates their true existence.

You are not a color. You are a human being.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join