It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A boy named Paul... A Poker Motivational Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Another boring,full of hate evening for a boy named Paul,another evening which starts with some Johnny Cash,Linkin Park,5FDP,Eminem and some other sad songs in his room...He lived for a long time a lonely boy,so much that he started to enjoy his lonely life.
He hated his social rank because at school he was sometimes bullied and the girl he always loved refused him,making him to live in a constant frustrating feeling,he was also beeing underestimated by others in almost anything he does.

But he got a strong character who considered that every big obstacle meant for him a challange that needs to be passed.He was the kind of person which could change the colour of the sky if he didn't like it.He hated groups,esspecialy gangs,because in groups or gangs there are rules which needs to be respected and in that way he couldn't achieve something for him.He was also someone who likes to wait for the right moment,at the right place.

So in that evening,Paul was watching the TV.An interesting TV commercial about poker came up.When he saw the whole commercial,with the rich poker players acting there,people who weren't give a # about the tommorrow day, something very strange strucked his body,like this thing is going to change his life forever.He was upset that he wasn't 18 years old to play poker,but he felt that this game needs to be studied so he starts playing with some of his friends he trusted,almost each day,of course for no money.The love for this game made him to dream big,a dream that he stongly believes to become true.

From 1$ to WSOP winner

WSOP-World Series Of Poker, are the biggest poker events in the world,ranging from like 20.000$ prizes to 12 million$ in the main event
When Paul turned 18.he played with some of his friends a game for money,which had the buy-in 1$, 1 dollar he found it on the street.He won 10 dollars by winning that game so he spent those money in online poker.In a few months,he cashed out like 1000$.
For the first time in his life,he felt an "achieved" feeling,making him to play more and Paul felt that he belongs to the world of poker.One night he got a fight with his christian parents who believed that he made a harsh sin by winning so much money at poker,kicking him out of the house.
After that,he became a homeless...days were passing by,with no power to continue is crude life.He was more frustrated at his life that he tried to suicide,but something made him continue his life: POKER.He fortunately found a nice house with a cheap rent,he also got a little job.Monthly,he spent 50$ at poker,crying a lot after he lost all of those money.After a long-long time a big event came in online poker.In that night he won 500.000$ dollars.Paul has started to live his dream.
He spent 250.000$ on a nice villa,got his dream car and opened a bussiness which should make him get some money out of poker.After years of playing poker,he remained with 10.000$-the exact buy-in for the WSOP main event.Paul couldn't sleep the nights before the main event.he was feeling that the WSOP main event is in his hands and he just couldn't let it go.There were lyrics from one of his Eminem's favourite childhood songs which "haunted" his head during this period "Look...If you have one shot and one opportunity....to seize everything you ever wanted....in one moment....would you capture it,or you will let it slip? "
So the WSOP main event started.Paul was very nervous about it,making him to do some bad decisions,but with some luck and some motivation throughout him,he hardly reached the final table,with the poker players he saw in the TV commercial in his childhood.WIth big emotions and a lot of sweat,he reached at heads-up (1vs1) against his poker idol,Daniel Negreanu en.wikipedia.org... which was going to be played the next day.The night before the heads-up,he got a strange dream in which Negreanu was leaving the poker table,leaving the money in front of Paul.
So the heads up has started.This was the longest heads-up in the history of poker in which Negreanu just couldn't stand for it because he was tired so he decided to give up.He congratulated Paul,but he was so "high" that he couldn't realise if he is dreaming or not.
Paul was a living dream...

After all of this,Paul was called to make a TV commercial about poker,almost exactly like the same one he had in his childhood.This commercial is adressed to the next poker star out there,who needs to be discovered.....Like Paul was

Thank you for giving attention to this story,my first one so I hope the you liked it

Have a nice day!

Peace!

edit on 27/07/2014 by PaulTheDuke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Was that the deuce to seven event? Is that you, John Wayne? Is this Me?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mon1k3r

Was that the deuce to seven event? Is that you, John Wayne? Is this Me?

That online poker event ? or ? I just imagined that event....

I don't know what you are talking about

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: PaulTheDuke

Reference to a line in "Full Metal Jacket" about heroes and the American dream.

Explains it…

To your story I dig the idea that what parents shooed him for is what made Paul successful. Happens all the time…

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Well....This story wasn't inspired by John Wayne's movie,but there are other dramas that inspired me to make that reference

To your story I dig the idea that what parents shooed him for is what made Paul successful. Happens all the time…

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Paul this is pretty good for your first story. Nicely told!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Nah a guy named Paul Volpe beat Negreanu for the 2-7 lowball bracelet event. Is that you?

Ok, I answered my own question, I think. Unless you're in Romania so that you can play on Stars legally!

edit on 777 by Mon1k3r because: YES!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Mon1k3r

Oh god...I am not that guy you are telling me....And yes I am from Romania.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Well man, good luck in your poker endeavors and others as well. I spent a good amount of time as a 'poker pro.' Had a lot of good times, but it's a culture. If I play again it will be online only, I'm too nice to tell the railbirds no.

new topics

top topics

join