It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona-9 Year old girl kills gun instructer

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vamana
a reply to: Krazysh0t

they should not have any possible access to your gun collection to begin with, people can do whatever they want with their kids in their home with guns that's not for me to although it is still stupid but allowing a 9 year old to fire guns at a gun range? an Uzi no less? come one you seriously can't say there's nothing wrong with this.

I agree with not letting a 9 year old fire an Uzi at a gun range (I've already stated that I wouldn't want a 9 year old to fire any gun, let alone an Uzi). To your other point, yes the idea is to not let them have access to your gun collection, but you know how kids are. Sometimes they get around your precautions, or maybe one day you forgot to lock the lock to the gun collection. In a perfect world the child would never touch the weapon until he was old enough, but this isn't a perfect world. So like I said, if a kid gets into your collection, would you rather have him trained on the weapons he will encounter or have never seen them before in his life?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DPrice

Why do you need any sort of weapon collection? Unless you're trying to compensate for something lol

People have varying interests. As long as a person is using their firearms and other weapons for lawful purposes, I see nothing wrong with it in the slightest.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Biigs

Guns are guns to me. Sure they require different ways to handle them, but if you follow the same basic rules for any gun you pick up, you should have no problem handling it even if you've never operated it before.
1.)familiarize yourself with the weapon a bit while it is unloaded. Locate the safeties (there are three)
2.)keep muzzle pointed away from yourself and anyone else in the room, even while unloaded (preferably downrange, but you may not be at a gun range).
3.)maintain a firm grip on the weapon with BOTH hands.
4.)test fire a round down range to get a feel for the recoil.
5.)when done firing, clear the weapon twice while also inspecting the bolt chamber for any stray rounds
6.)when not ready to immediately fire the gun, NEVER have your finger on the trigger.
7.)if this is the first time using that type of gun, have a person nearby who is familiar with it to assist you.

There are obviously more rules (some weapon specific), but those 7 are probably the best to go by. If you remain calm and sure of yourself then maintaining control of the weapon should be no problem. Trust me, I've fired some pretty interesting guns in my life (thanks to the Army).

This is sound advice.

You might pick up a weapon you think is unloaded but someone else could have loaded it. you simply NEVER aim a weapon at anything you dont plan to shoot even when you think its unloaded

Well said. THAT is a bit of logical, reasoned, common sense.

The 4 rules that I was taught at a very, very young age--younger than this girl and when I had my first BB gun.

◾Treat every firearm as if it's loaded. ...
◾Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy. ...
◾Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it. ...
◾Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

In the 40 years since then, I have had exactly ZERO accidental discharges.

i actually blew my ear off when i was 15 with an air rifle, my grandmother who i was staying with almost had a heart attack.

i didnt realize it was loaded, and i sat down and i had it upright, i stamped it down and it went off and basically took my ear off, so i know very well not to mess with guns, if that had have been a real large caliber rifle i could have died.

edit on b08081130 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

ah yes lets give every child a hand gun then because of the possibility they will be ''abused''

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Yes I'm much more dangerous with my typing fingers than a man with his finger on a trigger of course.

I didn't say dangerous I said civilized since that was your chosen accusation

Nice deflection though

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Well weapons are used to kill people, that's why they were invented. I don't see how someone could want to collect those while maintaining a stable state of mind.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DPrice

So are you "everyone" now? Just because you wouldn't consider your mind stable for owning a gun collection, what makes you think that someone else couldn't own a collection of firearms and have a stable mental state? Are you a psychiatrist? Do you have the professional training and certifications to make calls on someone's mental state?

Though I still fail to see the link that you are making towards a civilized person being unable to own a collection of firearms (or any weapons for that matter).
edit on 27-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Well weapons are used to kill people, that's why they were invented. I don't see how someone could want to collect those while maintaining a stable state of mind.

Yes. Weapons were definitely not invented to hunt and feed people....

The first weapons ever were invented right before the first wars...

Really?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Weapons also feed my family but your unstable mind may not comprehend that simple idea.
edit on 27-8-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

You keep putting words in my mouth. I didn't say negligence, you did. I simply said that the name of the establishment implies a less than serious, cavalier atmosphere that could have played a part in this tragedy ..

And you're right, it doesn't happen everywhere but, it did happen at a place inappropriately named Bullets and Burgers.

Yep, "bullets and burgers" is a name that wouldn't be a stretch at all to see something like this happening there. I get the feeling I might see an instructor there with a burger in one hand and an UZI in the other..
And the naming of the place proves out the assumption of an event like this...

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

if I could own a gun collection then sure I would make sure my kids knew the risk and how to handle it in case they ''stumbled'' upon it but to actually let them shoot it? slight chance of that happening maybe maybe with the smallest firearm I could find.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Well, that's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it. As someone living in one of the most heavily armed areas of the United States, yet with virtually no violent crime, you'll have to excuse me if its not an opinion that I share.
edit on 27-8-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Vamana

Well that was my point to begin with. Nothing wrong with letting them handle the weapon while unloaded so you can teach them proper gun safety and let them become familiar with it.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i quite like my .22 lead pellet airgun, it does end pests very effectively.

ive used fire arms but im not allowed to own any in the UK so its all i have to work with.

a rat or a crow or somthing doesnt stand a chance and its hyper accurate

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: DPrice

So are you "everyone" now? Just because you wouldn't consider your mind stable for owning a gun collection, what makes you think that someone else couldn't own a collection of firearms and have a stable mental state? Are you a psychiatrist? Do you have the professional training and certifications to make calls on someone's mental state?

Though I still fail to see the link that you are making towards a civilized person being unable to own a collection of firearms (or any weapons for that matter).

That's simple projection. A person may understand that they are too unstable to handle the responsibility of owning a firearm, or driving a car, or flying an airplane, or using a chainsaw and then project that irresponsibility on everyone else.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Oh I know. I was trying to get him to admit that that was the case though to prove he didn't have a sound argument.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yanks are crazy. I'm glad I'm outside the goldfish bowl.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Stick to the topic people. No more personal posts.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
im a bit surprised no one has any sympathy for me putting a shot through my ear and nearly dying.

it was amazingly painful i highly recommend you dont do that, i bled EVERYWHERE.

really people check your weapons

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join