It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the wrecking crew

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
just gonna chat about them for a few lines.
in case you never heard of the wrecking crew, they were a group of studio musicians that were active from the early 50's till maybe very early 70's.

i dont really know how to explain what i want to say.
so lets think mid 60's. pick a group. the beach boys or sonny and cher. whatever.
you get your record of that group when it first comes out and you listen and the music is just awesome(cause it is).... what people didnt/dont get is people were not listening to who they thought.
they assumed that the band was playing the music/instruments on the record. that wasnt the case.
it was a bad ass group of studio musicians called the wrecking crew. they played/recorded on thousands of songs.

anyway.... if youre interested

en.wikipedia.org...(music)

The Wrecking Crew's members were musically versatile but typically had formal backgrounds in jazz or classical music. The talents of this group of "first call" players were used on almost every style of recording including television theme songs, film scores, advertising jingles and almost every genre of American popular music, from The Monkees to Bing Crosby. Notable artists employing the Wrecking Crew's talents included Nancy Sinatra, Bobby Vee, The Partridge Family, The Mamas & the Papas, The Carpenters, The 5th Dimension, John Denver, The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, and Nat King Cole

--------------------------

just saying... i think its great.
if you get into it there is a fairly new documentary out about them.

and for the record carol kaye is one of the best bass players of all time

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The Wrecking Crew were among the industry's best. I agree 100% about Carol Kaye.
I'm a guitar player, but I also play bass a bit.
Some of those old Wrecking Crew pop masterpieces are absolutely timeless. I heard The Grass Roots "Midnight Confessions" on an oldies station the other day. That's Carol's incredible bass playing.

Another favorite session bassist was Doug "Chip Douglas" Hatlelid. He played bass on The Monkees "Pleasant Valley Sunday."
Some of the best bass work ever recorded.

This cat does a decent job of it:

Here's a guy paying homage to Carol:

edit on 26-8-2014 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
there are some vids floating around of carol kay that are pretty reccent. she is about 485 years old in the vids but still has her chops

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Leon Russell
Hal Blaine
Carol Kaye
Etc. Etc.
The Funk Brothers and The Swampers are similar studio bands from that time who were the backing musicians on countless timeless classics.

edit on 8/26/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join