It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food storage for celiac sufferers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Poor guy. He's lucky to have such a good mama to take care of him. Your husband is too!
I know it wasnt a reply to me, but i have a question. Did your son display reactions to the bad foods as you introduced them, or later on after he had eaten them for a period of time? Just curious.

A sudden weight loss like that is scary. I lost 80 something pounds right after I had my youngest son, dropped it in a few months. I have never been that tiny. In the process of dealing with other things it was a secondary concern. Last fall right before I crashed,my body went into starvation mode and saved every bit it could and I swelled up. I'm currently in the process of getting to a normal healthy weight. I still randomly shoot up and down. I have clothes spanning 4 sizes in my drawer to fit me on any given day, it's crazy.

Sorry, I guess I'm rambling again. It's been a major concern of mine to find suitably nutritional replacements for everything. We are figuring out the day to day stuff, and your help was incredible already. You are an amazing lady for working so hard to keep your family healthy.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Thank you .. We are doing our best

Fish never stayed inside him, even just a little he threw up all what he had eaten. Citrus fruits he never liked as a toddler. He was able to consume citrus fruits when his small intestine had healed, he still doesn´t like them much. Spices specially curry he still avoids and many other celiacs says they get stomach problems from curry. He doesn´t eat very spicy foods, but he loves garlic.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This is a good site to find out what things mean. stuff like -The term —roasted“ may be used to describe products that have been subjected to cooking methods that result in a roasted appearance.

It really doesn't need it's own thread, it is just a good entertaining read. www.fsis.usda.gov...

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodsmom
a reply to: Cinrad
One quick question though, do you know which of the flours have the longest shelf life by chance? I should have asked jude11 too. I know that brown rice will tend to go rancid and so will almond flour due the the high fat content. On the other hand the coconut flour (which works like the rice flour to absorb moisture) has almost as long of a shelf life as coconut oil. I like amaranth and millet, but they are high protein, does that translate to higher fat content too? Sorry, I'm still figuring it out.

Good questions, I have a bit of food science background but in fruit and fermentation. I have been interested in alternative foods for years and have done some technical reading about it, so I have picked a lot of things up. I will see what I can find.

Coeliac disease is probably better understood here in Australia, about 1% have it, we have lots of gluten free products and most places have options when eating out. I understand the on/off switch for you, since you cant go near gluten at all this limits your options. There is a gluten free expo in every major city here, check out what you have in your area. Also there are gluten free shops (The Silly Yak is one here), dont know where you live but maybe on your next trip to a city.

I'll try and get a few recipes for you.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
These are Australian recipes, we call frosting icing here and jam is fruit that has been boiled down with sugar and put in a jar, I think you call that jelly (what we call jelly is what you call jello), desiccated coconut is dried finely flaked coconut.

GF Custard Creams
Ingredients
160g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
11/2 cups of plain gluten free flour
1/2 cup of gluten free custard powder
A little milk if too dry

Filling
1 cup of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of butter
vanilla
milk to thin

Cream butter and sugar, sieve dry ingredients and mix in. If not sticking together add a dribble of milk or water. Roll in to balls and flatten with a fork. Put in to a preheated 180C oven.
When cool sandwich together with filling.d

GF Jam drops
180 grams butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup of besan flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup of maize flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon of water
1/2 cup jam (jelly)

Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Preheat oven 180 C. Sift flours and bicarb and add water and stir until well blended. Shape dough in to walnut size balls on greased trays and make a hole with the handle of a wooden spoon to put the jam in, and put jam in. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until brown on bottom.

GF Monte Carlo Biscuits
Ingredients
125g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 egg
11/2 cups of plain gluten free flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
3 teaspoons of gluten free custard powder
vanilla and pinch of salt
A little milk if too dry

Filling
Frosting with a swirl of jam (jelly)

GF Chocolate Fudge Bars
1 cup plain GF flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon cocoa
185g melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 shot of espresso coffee if you are adventurous

Icing
1 cup of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of cocoa
30g softened butter
1 1/2 tablespoons of hot water
Coconut for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line 20cm X 20cm tray. Mix all dryi ingredients. quickly stir melted butter and wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly, press in to tin evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. When cool ice (frost) and sprinkle with extra coconut.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

That would be great to know the shelf life of some of these flours, and they are all too expensive to leave to chance. I have been relying on rice as a stock up item. I figured that in a worst case scenario, I can even grind that into flour if necessary. Is the besan flour the bean flour? Beans are easy to store, and could be fresh ground as well.

I live in Alaska, and I do have access to some specialty gluten free foods. I can't stand spending $8 for a pound of flour either. I have been looking into a flour mill and have been prepping more garden space. I do like the amaranth flour and can grow that in a high tunnel. So hopefully in a few years I won't even have to worry about this.

Thank you for the recipes!! They look so yummy. Monday was my birthday and my sweet husband made me a Black Forest pavlova. It was incredible! The recipe came from your part of the world, so I am even more excited to give these a try.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Thank you!!!! There was an earthquake in my town last week, 6.0. We didn't have power for almost 30 hours and I wasn't prepared...at all. The only thing I ate was fruit, chips and candy. There was nothing I could find that would work for someone with Celiac. I almost broke down and are a sandwich, the consequences didn't seem so bad after 24 hours with no food.

I've been working on our earthquake kit, your thread is going to be very helpful on the food portion.

Thank you!!! S&F
edit on 3-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: autocorrect has a mind of it's own

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Thank you for your response. It's all such a random combination of genetics and the food supply changing, that it is hard to tell where the issues are coming from. I guess you just learned fast not to feed him fish, poor guy.

That's a bummer about the citrus, it's such a nice source of vitamin C. I have read about the curry that they may not be uncontaminated, maybe it's just because of what you mentioned, and we react. Be careful with white pepper too, at least here in the states, flour is often used as an anti caking agent. I love garlic too, especially roasted. I love spice, but I stick to straight, unadulterated cayenne, Serrano, jalapeño and other peppers. Other warm spices like cinnamon, ginger and cloves also work well for me.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I'm newish to the celiac, but have liked to keep things well stocked for awhile now.
Please feel free to ask any questions. I'd be happy to help.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Thank you! I'm newish too, diagnosed September 2013 but believe I've been Celiac my whole life. Now, even just a tiny bit or a small cross contamination puts me out for 2 days, it's brutal. Can't believe I almost ate a sandwich after the quake. That's why it's so important to be prepared if you have food allergies or intolerances. For almost 2 days after the quake, the only thing available were convenience stores and their nasty processed food and pre-made sandwiches.

Didn't realize Spam was GF! It's not the most tasty stuff but it's meat/protein and will work in a pinch. I'll have to pick up some of that on the next grocery store trip.

Love the idea about dehydrated veggies too, didn't even think about it and love that idea rather then the canned veggies. I'm trying to think of mobility after a disaster, and light foods are good for backpacks.

I use a brand of GF flour called King Arthur, it's tastes almost like real flour. They also make a pancake mix that produces beautiful fluffy pancakes, my husband didn't even realize they were GF.
edit on 3-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: silly autocorrect!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Some other simple proteins are canned chicken and turkey. I rarely use them, but always try to keep several cans of those around too, and a few pounds of dried beans go a long way without a lot of weight. You do need access to water for the beans though.

Water is another essential to store. I use old gallon vinegar jugs. There is less residue and they are stronger than milk jugs. If you are short on space at least keep some bleach and something to boil water in. It takes eight drops of regular bleach to disinfect a gallon of water. Here's the directions.
modernsurvivalblog.com...

I have found bulk boxes of the fruit leather strips, the real fruit kind. They are considerably cheaper if you can find the 48 strip box. We go through them pretty quick around here in the summer, but they have proven invaluable as a quick pick me up. Individual little packages of almond butter have also saved me a couple of times, not in an emergency, but just not being able to find safe food. I keep those in my bag tucked right next to the fruit strips. Between just those two items, I have found I can get myself through just about anything for the day, even when we are active and moving all day long.

Edit to add: Please don't cave and eat something that will make you sick! Getting sick will only make matters worse especially in an emergency. Congrats on avoiding the temptation! It's one of my biggest worries, because then my family will be taking care of me instead of me being able to take care of them.

edit on 3-9-2014 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Yes besan flour is soy flour. Mung bean flour is the one that goes translucent and they make the glass noodles out of, they are very different flours. The shelf life of most flour is not very long, I woudnt want to use them after 2 years. You have the right idea with the mill. Whole grains and seeds keep for decades and you can mill them yourself any time.

Black forest pavlova? Sounds great! We normally have it with fresh fruit on top and whipped cream and then drizzled in passion fruit pulp. Canned fruit like peaches is good too.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

User to user me. My MIL is severe celiac AND wheat allergic (among many other things) , and also incidentally the queen (and I mean the queen) of canning/long term storage. She and my dad have over a years worth of food stored in their studio apartment and it all fits on less than a bookshelf.

Just send me any questions you have, I will write them down and ask her. I will then send you a small guide on how to do what she does. Her food is REALLY good too. I mean I LOVE flour and gluten and wheat but she makes food that would make a gluten-free, wheat-free, grain-free, paleo diet work for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join