It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

paul gilbert/nathan east: 1 chord challenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
i love this. paul and nathan bat it back and forth using only 1 chord...

awesome

i love paul gilbert man....he is a fantastic player and an even better teacher.... also he seems like a cool dude

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just proof the possibilities are infinite in music. Even with such strict note combination limitations, melodies have no limits.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant
First time i heard P.Gilbert was 1982/83. I was approx. 19-20 years old, and back then i was totally shocked by his skills.
When i heard RacerX 1 (their first record)..,i thought about stop playing guitar. I was extremely frustrated that someone could play that good and soo extremely FAST!!!!
I played myself guitar then.., Not now anymore my left arm medianus nerv is completelly destroyed by an accident so
half of my left hand is num.
But P.Gilbert really rocks big time. I still listen to the old Racer X records.

edit on 26/8/14 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/8/14 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

i love paul gilbert. he is a fantastic player.
aside from his technical skills he just seems like a cool guy. he seems like a music fan first and musician second. i have seen vids of him playing with other people and he seems like he is in awe of them just like the fans in the audience.
also, he seems like a super awesome teacher.
you can tell paul just loves music. loves playing it and loves being around others playing.

here is a vid of paul and guthrie govan. they do a cover of cheap sunglasses(with lots of improv and back and forth of course) and he seems like he is just thrilled to be there with guthrie.
i love this vid. wish i could have been there.

big points for giving buckethes lessons too.

i love that he still teaches at M.I.
he goes to japan a lot to teach and give clinics with marty friedman
hes just awesome in my book

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
that vid really gets going at about 7 minutes. i love it. i watch this every couple days.

i love the way paul is in this video. seems to be having so much fun.

plus this vid turned me on to guthrie.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this! I am a rank amateur bassist, and need all the help i can get. These guys play well together!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: occrest
Thanks for posting this! I am a rank amateur bassist, and need all the help i can get. These guys play well together!

no problem man. tts great the way they bounce off each other.
youre a bassist so im sure you know these people but i am going to rattle off names anyway. just maybe you have never heard of them and you can pick out some cool stuff.

of course nathan east
bootsy collins
victor wooten
les claypool
tal wilkenfeld
billy sheehan
shuggie otis
and going back a way to the wrecking crew days
carol kaye

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

originally posted by: occrest

no problem man. tts great the way they bounce off each other.
youre a bassist so im sure you know these people but i am going to rattle off names anyway. just maybe you have never heard of them and you can pick out some cool stuff.

of course nathan east
bootsy collins
victor wooten
les claypool
tal wilkenfeld
billy sheehan
shuggie otis
and going back a way to the wrecking crew days
carol kaye

Believe it or now, I have never heard of these guys. Thanks for the list. I'll be listening to them later. I have only just picked up my bass after a 14 year hiatus...hocked my old one years ago, then was homeless for a while. Found a nice Ibenez Acoustic Electric in a pawn shop for $125 and jumped on it!
For now, i'm all thumbs and rusty as hell, but i'll get it eventually. I hope to find some local places that have open mic nights....if i can get the nerve to get back in the public eye, that is.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest

well thats a pretty good list and a good place to start.
i like that bass. nice find.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
check this out. even when paul is trading with an amateur who is clearly light years behind him in skill he looks like he is having a blast.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
for the hell of it, here is paul gilbert and marty friedman in japan just trading off. gets going at about 3 minutes

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Using TWO chords at first A major and D major....but it is correct that it is in ONE key with a basic single chord....but right off I see the two mentioned A and D.

Still, prettty cool!

join