It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help - windows 8 , broke it, blue screen only.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Hi all,

I need some advice from a knowledgeable member if anyone can help I will be very grateful.

I was just looking in the task manager trying to shut down unused apps , like Internet browser, spotify and one that may have done it - windows smartbar .

I ended these processes and then the tiles and desktop disappeared and now I can log in and bring up task manager but everything else is blue.

And it says that the smartbar in enabled now so what have I done wrong!?

Please help.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Soapusmaximus

Go to the task manager and go to "file" then "run" and then type in "explorer.exe" (without quotes) and hit enter.

Might be your problem.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: kx12x

I have managed to run the browser through task manager, but everything else is blue - start tiles, desktop, everything apart from what I bring up through task manager and the log in password screen on the laptop.

Thanks though friend.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I misunderstood - thought I should try it properly and it worked , thankyou mate you're a star!

edit on 26-8-2014 by Soapusmaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Have you tried restarting? That's usually the solution to 80% of Windows problems.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I did try that, see above post you were right the first time.

Thanks mate, I have gone from xp to android to windows 8 in a short time and getting used to the changes.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

No problem! Glad I could be of help.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Yeah ending explorer.exe will will take away your whole UI.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

just remember, explorer.exe - the desktop explorer - is different to iexplore.exe - internet explorer.

a reboot should have completely restarted it though...

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I agree that the reboot should fix this problem but to make sure I turn the puter off normally if possible or forced off with the power switch. Then wait 15 seconds and initiate reboot. This drains the ram memory which might reproduce errors from the prior operation. Glad you got it fixed up update to 8.1 as it runs better and more stable. My best,

top topics

join