It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metro Detroit Muslim leaders denounce ISIS as 'crazy criminals'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Metro Detroit Muslim leaders denounce ISIS as 'crazy criminals'

Muslim leaders gathered Monday on the steps of Dearborn City Hall to strongly condemn ISIS

Muslim leaders gathered Monday on the steps of Dearborn City Hall to strongly condemn ISIS, saying the militant group in Iraq and Syria doesn't represent Islam or Muslims.

ISIS members are "crazy criminals who are abusing our religion," said Imam Mohammed Elahi of the Islamic House of Wisdom in Dearborn Heights. "You're a bunch of gangsters ... you're not Islamic."

Organized by imams with the Michigan Muslim Community Council, the speakers included both Shia and Sunni leaders of different ethnicities and races, all united in saying ISIS doesn't speak for them.

"The beheading of James Foley ... is a clear violation of the holy Quran and the teachings of Prophet Mohammed," said Imam Mustapha Elturk, who cochairs along with Elahi the Imams Council of the Michigan Muslim Community Council. "ISIS neither represents Islam nor Muslims."

Well, there you go. More and more Muslim Leaders are coming forward to condemn ISIS. I'm excited to see Muslims becoming proactive and making a stand against terrorism and terrorists groups such as ISIS.

It is obvious for the vast majority of Muslims, that ISIS is nothing but a bunch of psychopaths using Islam to commit and try to justify their atrocities, and of course ISIS's victims are primarily Muslims.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: samsamm9

Ive heard tell of support coming from this state as well both in thoughts and financing.

Good to see the leaders standing up and denouncing them but where is the cry for them to be stopped? I agree with the mindset that a Muslim nation should be the one to handle this but is this going to be possible? Would the world let Iran do it? Can Saudi Arabia handle it? Do they want to?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Good to see the voices of the islamic leaders who oppose isis being heard rather than silenced as usual ... heard from muslim friends in indonesia and malaysia who also condemn isis for its acts .. looking like most of the islamic world opposed to isis and its actions .. the tricky part will be how they handle it as they will find a way thats in accordance with the Quran to solve the problem ...

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

gotta be honest with you...who's gonna mess with Detroit...

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
They can denounce them all they want. It isn't going to change anything. For some reason there are a lot of Muslim extremist groups that take it too far. It isn't just ISIS. They aren't going to give up and are only gaining in numbers and strength. They are building large enough for the US to start worrying about and have smaller cells/factions already in a lot of other countries that can wreak havoc on populations. Eradicate every last one of them. There is no other way to fight them than inflicting devastating damage on them and eradicating every single last one of them and their families/followers that are loyal to ISIS.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
What grates me a little bit is earlier in the year the argument was...
"Why don't Muslims condemn these animals"...
Despite the fact that a great many Muslims have done so...

Now all of a sudden it's changed to "Why don't Muslims fight these animals"...
Despite the fact that they've been fighting them in Syria for over a year and also recently in Iraq...

What's next?
Seeing as both have occurred...

We need more Imams like this though, that I'll admit!!!

S&F for you though Sam!
edit on 26-8-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

ISIS members are "crazy criminals who are abusing our religion," said Imam Mohammed Elahi of the Islamic House of Wisdom in Dearborn Heights. "You're a bunch of gangsters ... you're not Islamic."

They should be well versed in gangster. I imagine they are feeling the heat rising a bit but doubt there is any worry unless ISIS can show it's presence in the US.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
What grates me a little bit is earlier in the year the argument was...
"Why don't Muslims condemn these animals"...
Despite the fact that a great many Muslims have done so...

Now all of a sudden it's changed to "Why don't Muslims fight these animals"...
Despite the fact that they've been fighting them in Syria for over a year and also recently in Iraq...

What's next?
Seeing as both have occurred...

We need more Imams like this though, that I'll admit!!!

S&F for you though Sam!

Thank you for noticing how hilarious some comments can be Charlie.

We do get a majority of sane and rational comments on ATS, usually. But lately, since more Muslims have been condemning ISIS, the new fad is to repeat ....."Why don't Muslims fight them?!" "but where is the cry for them to be stopped? ".

In conclusion, no matter how much Muslims denounce terrorism, it's apparently never gonna be enough. There is a deep mistrust towards Islam and Muslims and I don't blame them, being fed by MSM for so long can have it's side effects.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

In conclusion, no matter how much Muslims denounce terrorism, it's apparently never gonna be enough. There is a deep mistrust towards Islam and Muslims and I don't blame them, being fed by MSM for so long can have it's side effects.

No doubt pal, that's spot on...
I'm not saying that Muslims shouldn't be fighting, but they already are so they shouldn't be lambasted, even in a forum!
I recently converted, and I've made the point that I cannot join the Jihad against the Islamic State without being deemed a criminal by my UK government!!!
It's illegal for me to go abroad to fight with my brothers and sisters, so ultimately it's being left to not just Muslims, but only Muslims in the vicinity!

We do get a majority of sane and rational comments on ATS, usually.

lol... Yes I definitely agree with this I didn't want my post to seem like an attack on ATS as a whole, just a few who seem to never be satisfied with what occurring!
As you said I feel it's MSM who have demonised us to such an extent that it'll take almost a miracle to change people's perspective!

edit on 26-8-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Ya but are they just moving their mouths to avoid persecution or are they doing anything substantial to curb radical jihadis from recruiting and fundraising in their mosques and social circles?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Ya but are they just moving their mouths to avoid persecution or are they doing anything substantial to curb radical jihadis from recruiting and fundraising in their mosques and social circles?

Persecuted by who?

There is no such thing as a radical jihadist either... It's an oxymoron!

But enlighten me...
What can they do to curb such conjectural activity?

Edit: Respectfully asking, not condescendingly, apologies!
edit on 26-8-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Stated!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Yes steps are being taken to counter extremism and have been for several years now in bahrain .. malaysia and indonesia theyre educating the people against extremist ideologies along with countering extremists social media messages and arresting members of extremist groups ..
Though guess to westerners with the violence solves everything mentality those steps arent enough ..

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
To put it in specific numbers: Around 20% of muslims approve of radical groups, 80% don't. That's still a large enough percentage to have to be on the lookout.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

So while you try your peaceful method some other bonehead will stand up and resort to violence. Bozo harem just declared a caliphate in Africa too. But I'm sure the leaders will disavow him as well.

So the United States isn't allows to police the region..

Muslims shouldn't get their hands dirty keeping their own backyard clean??

What's the end game here then skipper? Sit back and let extremist groups gain power and support until something terrible happens again?
edit on 26-8-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnduranceArtist
To put it in specific numbers: Around 20% of muslims approve of radical groups, 80% don't. That's still a large enough percentage to have to be on the lookout.

Pewpew research Muslim population

Sooo 1.6 billion Muslims. That's 320 million Muslims that side with extremists.

United States population as of jan 1st 2014

The ENTIRE population of the United States of America is 317 million...

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They've lost control of their own monster this time, and now they have to come out and help put it down or risk being put down by it.

ISIS is a menace to everyone, but I've been saying that for a while. This only confirms it. I don't expect this to slow anything down for ISIS thought.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

YEP that's us. I recognized it a while AFTER service but IN service I had a drive to fight terrorists,instead they let me loose on Saddam when he threatened Saudi.
It is HARD to understand why sometimes but I strongly believe with the communication we have it, will end.
We still have those that hate for it's own sake( I'm arguing with a black militant on the Marine assault thread who wants to kill all whites)
I DON'T want that guy to be harmed or hassled I am SICK of the skin ruse anyway and I'll bet that witch separates us is more of the same.
I just am not too bright about the REPAIR issue.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Persecuted by who?

But enlighten me...

They are being publicly persecuted for not doing enough to condemn radicalism.

Pointing to one or two Imams that speak up every other year is not going to cut the mustard.

Muslims who are for peace believe there is a jihad to defend Islam, their duty to defend it by proclaiming Islam is nothing but peace. That is their jihad, it is enough for them and they won't condemn the radicals they only try to marginalize them.

Radical Jihadists use violence of every sort to convert or eradicate all who are not followers of Islam. There sure is a difference.

If this is a start of more outrage then good, but it may well turn out the same as always, an apathetic cry in the wilderness.
edit on 26-8-2014 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Persecuted by who?

But enlighten me...

They are being publicly persecuted for not doing enough to condemn radicalism.

Pointing to one or two Imams that speak up every other year is not going to cut the mustard.

Muslims who are for peace believe there is a jihad to defend Islam, their duty to defend it by proclaiming Islam is nothing but peace. That is their jihad, it is enough for them and they won't condemn the radicals they only try to marginalize them.

Radical Jihadists use violence of every sort to convert or eradicate all who are not followers of Islam. There sure is a difference.

If this is a start of more outrage then good, but it may well turn out the same as always, an apathetic cry in the wilderness.

At least it's a start. Perhaps a few more years of this will make up for the quiet over the last more than decade since 9/11. Let's be careful though no to label all Muslims as being quiet in the past and focus on the Muslims in power.

top topics

join