It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actions speak louder than words.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Lately on ATS here I have been talking a lot about empathy. A lot about some topics that invoke my world view that we should respect and show all living beings on this Earth a higher degree of respect/treatment.

Some take these thoughts as me being, "holier than tho" or thinking I am better somehow just because I feel this way.
That is not true, what so ever. Me showing empathy does not make me any better than anyone else here. It only allows me to access a oneness in this world that some seem disconnected from. Nothing more.

Something strange happened to me today, in light of all this TALK. A stray cat showed up at my door. Hungry and in need of care.
I looked down at the cat, and was like. Hmmmm. Is it just a weird coincidence or maybe a "test" of my very words I have been saying on here.
This may sound crazy. But that cat to me, was the universe giving me a chance to put my money where my mouth is. (In a manner of speaking.) As also, this morning, I put down 2 cats of mine, that where 20 years old. They lived long good lives. Still sad.
Yet these cats are SO much work. If I take on an animal, I make sure it is taken care of. I make sure I have the funds to "afford" them.

So today. I lost 2 good long life friends I've had for 20 years. Today I gained a new friend. Who showed up at my door step, hungry and in need of love. I just felt it was some form of the universe "testing" my integrity. Testing if my words where just words, or my actions speak louder than words.

I just thought I would share this story with you all here on ATS. And log this as part of my long standing of threads on this site.
While today was sad for me. I did the right thing by putting down 2 friends. It was the humane thing to do. They where in pain for the past week, and was selfish for me to keep them going as long as I did.
So I had a good cry, and changed mental gears to jump back on here.

I gained a new friend. And I kept true to myself and my words. Sometimes the universe will test you. As this cat to me, Is either an alien being, or some form of Angel that has taken the form of this lowly critter.
Thus I named it, Ceridwen, from "The Story of Calicoin"

I am not a religious person, nor do I go to church. But I find some things in religion to hold up in my personal life. You don't have to buy into the whole guy in the sky to be a good person. I do love the spiritual side to things, and "pagan systems" yet I hold no allegiance to any one faith, or science.

But that is my own personal feelings. And people may say.. You are freaking crazy, its just a stupid cat. There are millions of these Vermin all over the Earth. Its nothing special. That very well be. But that is my take on this. And I am going to keep that in my heart. No matter what anyone else has to say about it.

And keep in account, just because I took in a stray, and I have empathy for all living beings, does not make me better than anyone else WHAT so ever. In fact it might make me look like I am trying to hard or what ever. I have been pointed at in the past, and told, what makes you better than anyone else just because you show compassion and empathy to all things? I try to tell them, I do not think that. I really don't. AS it can be slightly annoying to hear from people who sit on their high horse and make claims. Yet never back them up with real world actions.

I thought for a long time, we live in a prison. We are trapped in this HELL, doomed to repeat it over and over again. But the older I get the more I start to find, life is more of a test than anything else. If we pass, maybe we get to move onto something better, Not heaven, but maybe a different part of the universe. or a whole other universe all together, who knows? I sure don't. I just am writing and sharing to those who maybe vibrate on the same frequency tone as I do.

Maybe this story will be a good change of pace from the everyday doom and gloom we face in our daily lives.
I hope that maybe this story brings a smile, or a ray of light to someone out there.

Its true. Actions do speak louder than words. And it just so happens, after all the talk I did on here. The universe put a creature in my path. I had a choice. I could have shooed it away after giving it some food and water. I could have simply ignored it.
But something deep inside of me said... "This is your chance, to show yourself if you mean what you really say out here."
I decided to live up to my "words" on here. Knowing full well, I just took in another being that years down the road, its going to die, and I am going to be sad again, and its going to cost me money I really do not have.

It did not take me long to understand, with pain comes pleasure. And all the love I could get from it, would far out weigh that feeling of loss I will have in 10-15 years. Loss is a part of life, Ive had my share. But love and understanding, empathy is also a part of life.
These are the things I value most. Money, stuff, all illusions. What matters most is what we do. Not what we say.

Have a great night everyone! Thanks for reading my entry here. Its more for just me, and for my ATS profile thread log.
I want to be able to remind myself. My actions spoke louder than any "words" I could ever say on here.

edit on 23614361285 by zysin5 because: spelling edit

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: zysin5

Aw, what a tough day in your life. My sincere condolences on the loss of your long-time friends. Even if you were putting them out of their pain, you still felt pain at having had to do so.

The little visitor was no accident. There is what I call a spiritual melody in the universe, and the notes of your pain reached out and sent the little cat to you to comfort you.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What makes this thread stand out in my eyes is that even though many of us here on ATS fiercely disagree on many things...

We can still agree on others.

There are two kinds of people in the world: sayers and doers.

Doers actually do all the things that sayers talk about.

God told Howard Pittman during his NDE that not all the sayers would be in heaven, but all the doers would be.

Also your comment about life being a test, you have NO idea how true that is.

I don't understand it, but everything I have learned so far has convinced me it's true.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your two cats.

You did a good thing with the stray.

I agree with empathy and trying to do the right thing. It is rarely easy and so many see it as a sign of weakness. The truth is, it takes a lot of effort and strength sometimes.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thank you so much ABNARTY, Murgatroid, aboutface.

It's true, in all the debates that go on upon other topics of the world, We can all find our own truths with this. And find that common ground, that is true empathy IMO.

As when it did happen it just came at a time where when a person in this world suffers a loss, we tend to see things that others might not notice if it was just "another" day. All the same, I have taken many of the Native American's knowledge on the animal spirit, and the oneness we share with those animal spirits. We are the human spirit in that sense, another living animal spirit, connected.

Sometimes they comfort us. Sometimes they even feed us. As even with all my empathy, I still eat meat, I love steak. Yet I give my thanks to those animal spirits, pay my respects for the energy I am given. They gave their life so I can live.

Thus Ceridwen, comes into my life to offer a little balance if I made that choice.
But there was that moment, when sadness took over, and I almost made a different choice. What changed my mind, was that I was being so vocal about it in my life.

There is one thing to be considered by this, it was an expression of myself to impose upon the cyber world. Something that will live long past I am gone from here. If the internet does become aware, and one with all this. I would like it to remember stories like these.

Thanks for the replies fellas

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I'm more inclined to believe that you were being given another friend since you just lost 2 others. Because you were able to take care of those other 2 cats, I can't imagine the new one would be any more of a burden on you. Either way, I don't believe in coincidences. I feel like you needed a new friend and the universe responded

edit on 26-8-2014 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Thank you
As you and others have pointed out it was no coincidence, I feel that in my heart. And that burden was more of my "selfish" side wanting to rear its ugly head. I know we all have our flaws and missteps in this world, and sometimes it just easier to talk the talk, without taking that walk.

I have fallen into that mind set where I become this person that just falls into line. Trying to just fit in with that status quo. Yet ever fiber of my very being tells me, just be you. So I take that to heart and do that. Even in light of the world we live in. And I end up going against the grain, isolating myself, yet always connected to everything.

I've tried shutting it off, but its not like a switch that one can turn off or on. Sometimes I just get in a bad mood, and disconnect. But over all I step up, and do what I say. Its is easier said than done, no doubt

But my heart fills with warmth from your replies my friends. It means a lot to me.
And allows me to know I am not that crazy cat lady. I keep my pets to a manageable level. Even if I wish I could help them all out, there is a line. And once you cross that line, you are not helping, you are hurting yourself.

My aunt. she had 45 cats! She was the CRAZY cat lady. And she went bonkers. I had to go clean her house after she was put away. One of the cats got into the wall, and the SPCA did not find it.
When I went into her bathroom, there was a dead cat in the tub. It was troubling to me, and made it a point. No matter how much empathy I have. I draw the line. I can not save them all. I wish I wish I could. But that leads to unhealthy lifestyles. Good intentions can sometimes lead to very bad things.
I just think together, as a people, as normal everyday people can each find our own little creature, and make its life a good one.

As I hope in a next life. I can come back as one of these little guys. And live that life of laying around all day. Getting fed, no work, all play!!! Its my way of thinking, Those who mistreat animals, just might come back into the body of one of those little critters and get back what they gave in another life. Purely my own thoughts.. but I think about those things from time to time.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

Aw, what a tough day in your life. My sincere condolences on the loss of your long-time friends. Even if you were putting them out of their pain, you still felt pain at having had to do so.

A personal thanks to you! I am feeling much better today, even in light of that yesterday. The back yard is a grave yard! Over the ages since a teen we have owned the same house, and all our pets we bury there. I take cinder blocks, and break them, use a dremal tool, and carve out grave markers for them. Gives me something to do, and keeps me busy. Plus I like to honor them with a grave stone. Going to paint. Nube(Newbay) Spanish for cloud. And then Binkiee, she had boxer gloves, Binker had 7 toes..lol she was a mutant cat. But they lived 20 years.. That is old for any animal critter.

Thanks for your kindness to me.
:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

A personal thanks to you as well
This life we are all part of.. Its the big questions! When I was younger, I thought when I get older I am going to have the answers to all these questions.
Now I am older, and I have a whole new set of questions!! LOL I had to kind of smile and grin to that fact.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

was the universe giving me a chance to put my money where my mouth is. (In a manner of speaking.)

Um reading what you share, in my opinion is one big yes.

Why, because similar tests have been put before me, I have denied them many times and suffered the consequences it would seem. I cant say what would have happened or if the course of my life would have changed ever so minutely but what I experienced after realizing I am being tested and purposely fail them or just brush it of as coincidence and think no further of it is negative, negativity that i feel I could have avoided if I had believed in myself and my realizations and taken the test which always a simple choice, like just recently for example, empathy, I created a scenario in my head that God or Jesus would come to me in the flesh and ask me for help, I joked around , well not joked around but thought If God did come in the flesh it would be a homeless person asking me to help them out.

Why a homeless person because society usually judges the homeless more harshly so than other classes of society, I tried using some logic in my delusional thinking and what happened when I was on lunch break from work, I work during the night and went to the shops to by a packet of smokes, as I am walking in there is a large homeless man sitting on the bench outside, he gets my attention politely and explains he cant go in the store because he was caught shoplifting in the store and asked if he gave me the money if I could buy him a packet of chips.

He didn't ask for money just for a favor to buy some food for him with the money he would give me.

Me being in rush heard the " I cat go in because I was caught shoplifting" and truthfully said I am not going inside but just to the counter to buy smokes and said sorry I cant to him.

I hate to truthfully say it but I believe I made a quick judgement as after I got my smokes I got back in my car to go back to work and I couldn't get it of my mind because I remembered by little scenario I created previously when randomly thinking.

I tried to convince myself, actually had a little voice in my head extend my short conversation that said in a judgmental fashion "well, you shouldn't be shoplifting" and I tried to use that to justify me not helping a homeless man who was hungry.

I believe I failed that test quite miserably, that is just one of many in my short 35 years of life.

Its true. Actions do speak louder than words. And it just so happens, after all the talk I did on here. The universe put a creature in my path. I had a choice. I could have shooed it away after giving it some food and water. I could have simply ignored it.
But something deep inside of me said... "This is your chance, to show yourself if you mean what you really say out here."
I decided to live up to my "words" on here. Knowing full well, I just took in another being that years down the road, its going to die, and I am going to be sad again, and its going to cost me money I really do not have.

You're an inspiration at least to me, I would happily bet to many others as well.

What matters most is what we do. Not what we say.

My sincere condolences on your loss but I think you know we never loose or gain just change.

Much love

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

Lastly before I head out for my daily duties of the world, I send you my thanks!
Yeah sometimes I found it to be a weakness, but at the same time, one of our greatest strengths!

If I had time, I was going to throw in some good matrix movie quotes. But I will just leave you with a heartfelt thank you!! Taking the time to post in here, and read my thread. You rock!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Also your comment about life being a test, you have NO idea how true that is.

I think OP does have an idea how true it is and I think we all do but just deny it more than often or as you say find it hard to understand at times when we are tested, it wouldn't be a test if it wasn't meant to test us.

What makes this thread stand out in my eyes is that even though many of us here on ATS fiercely disagree on many things...

We can still agree on others.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Your post made me smile! Thank you for that!

I had feelings just like that. I have always thought, that some homeless people, and those sitting on the side lines, are perhaps not what they seem to be. While I do not always give money away to some of these folks, I do go out of my way to purchase them a sandwich and a drink. If I had the funds, I would do more.

But I make no mistake. I know many of them are drug addicts and just fell into a pool that was created by the gaps between the Rich and the Poor.

Yet if God or Jesus where to come here.. Or any other such being to test our realness. They would take the form of someone who was looked down on by the status Quo.
While I am not a bible thumper, I do respect and know enough to realize sometimes things come to us and in our lives. They are more than what they seem at the time.

I like to remember these things, as it helps us all become better people in one way or another.
Yet at the same time, not being gullible or taken advantage of via kindness.

Its a personal thing, and we just have to make up our own minds on this. Or what it could be.
But yeah, that little shape shifter came into my life, and I feel I did what any other good person would do.

Ceridwen is going to have a great life, and will not have to suffer the outside world. I gave her a home, and she will get the love she was looking for. Wish I could save them all, but we pick those who come directly to us, and pick US.
We do not pick them, they find us, and that is the "test".

Thanks for your message! I was about to head out, but saw your post, and had to take a few extra minutes out before I left. Biz can wait. Kindness takes a front seat. Even if I am 5 minutes late.

Thanks again! Lovely beautiful post, I am happy to know I could make a small difference in a perfect strangers life.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Strange, that on the same day, a cat comes walking to your doorstep.
Nah, there's a reason for that, and very kind of you to take that cat in and give her a home.

Empathy and compassion are the most important things to have, I wish more people had it.
But we should be happy that some do because if all of us didn't have it I believe our world would be ever far worse than what it is today.

And I feel that more and more children coming in to the world have this in them and continue having it in them as they come to adulthood. A far more understanding of life than the generations before them.

Even if some homeless people are out on the street due to drugs etc, it's a coping macanism for them.
Most addicts use drugs, alcohol, food to cope with some kind of trauma in their life.
Some can get out of it and some not.
We should still have compassion for these people and help them in need.

I have stopped giving money because I don't know what they will spend it on, I rather give them food or clothing.
And where I live there's a lot of fake homeless people on the street begging for money.

We should alway help each other, human life, animal life and other life.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: spazze
Strange, that on the same day, a cat comes walking to your doorstep.
Nah, there's a reason for that, and very kind of you to take that cat in and give her a home.

We should always help each other, human life, animal life and other life.

Thanks Spazze! Yeah I just found it to be to much of a message to just ignore, The pets I have they *always find me*
I have never gone to a pet shop to get an animal, as the universe seems to put them in my path.

I agree with your whole post, but picked out those couple things you said as it rang so true with me.

Once upon a time I worked in a kitchen, this was a few years back. At the end of the night we had fry food, that just got put into the trash. So instead of tossing it out, I would put it into a "to go" container. Would fill up like 3 of them, with wings, and boneless chicken chunks.

Homeless folks where digging in the trash at night after we closed shop, to dig out all that food we tossed out.
So I just simply asked them, stay out of the trash guys, here, take this. I will bring you guys this nightly toss out food.
And you do not have to dig through the trash here..

So I did that each night for 1 month, until my manager comes up to me at the end of my shift, and tells me I am fired.
When asked what I was being fired for. I was told I was breaking the house rule of not feeding homeless.
Guess it was a rule, that we do not feed "dead beats".

My boss was and still is a HUGE bigot jerk. He would rather see those "dead beats" go through his trash, rather than giving away the food in to go boxes.. Just another thing that amazes me about this world.

As you pointed out.. All those folks have their ways of dealing with life, and they have stories, and lives they have lead. Unless you live in a 3rd world country, which is a whole other can of worms.

top topics

join