It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor calls to imprison gays for ‘ten years hard labor’ with new constitutional amendment

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

I'd simply like you to back up your claim instead of moving the goalposts.

What I'm saying is that there are people like him with similar ideas and opinions. Which I've shown. If you can't make the connection that's your problem.

I'm not playing some stupid f*cking games with you man. I don't give a sh*t if you want to stick you head in the sand about what's going on. I can see what happens now when trying to find some common ground with people like you, what a waste of time.

I'll personally enjoy watching these pastors and other Crazy Right Wing Religious kooks drive the Conservative Party into shambles. Trust me, I won't bother trying to find any common ground any more when discussing any topic with you or any other Right Wing Religious members. You people make it impossible to have a conversation about anything. Even when we are in agreement!!! It's pointless. Take it personal, I don't care.

I'm done.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

a reply to: windword

And how did Christians react? The guy no longer has a church, that's how.

Really? Got a citation for that claim?

Standing ovation greets Pastor Charles Worley, who made anti-gay statements

Although gay rights and anti-hate groups responded with outrage when a North Carolina pastor called for gays and lesbians to be fenced in so they eventually die off, he was greeted with a standing ovation by his church members when he approached the pulpit, the Hickory Record reported.

“I appreciate all the support,” Pastor Charles Worley told the 100 or so congregants at Providence Road Baptist Church near Maiden, N.C., on Sunday, according to the Record. Several members stood and spoke out; others threw up their hands in support of their pastor.

“I’ve got a King James Bible,” Worley said, according to the Record. “I’ve been a preacher for 53 years. Do you think I’m going to bail out on this?”

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Yep it looks like I jumped the gun on that one. I doubt he'll be breaking any attendance records though.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

See, that's what gives this anti-gay rhetoric legs, it's in the Bible.

“I’ve got a King James Bible,” Worley said, according to the Record. “I’ve been a preacher for 53 years. Do you think I’m going to bail out on this?”

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Here's a bunch of them for you

HATE IN THE MAINSTREAM

www.splcenter.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Wow OK so here is one in a position of authority and ot some self ordained nut job. To get a standing ovation he does have followers.

I was hoping Navydoc was right on this one but....err...oh well.
edit on 26-8-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
If it is spoken it still exists,we'd see it DROPPED as an item and if we DO OUR JOBS to do what is called OSTRICIZE such talk ,MAYBE it will stop.

You can TELL I've trained PRIVATES huh?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Anyway, as a pretty fundamental Christian myself, I strongly disagree with this bigoted poser. So strongly that I don't even believe he's for real.

I suggest you read Christian Reconstructionist websites. You'll see that others share his appalling views about that topic and more.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: NavyDoc

Okay. Define personhood then. Instead of dodging with semantics, supply us with your definition.

First and foremost, a person is someone who has been born.

I believe person is a legal term that refers to human individuals. In this context, individual is the key word. A fetus is not a distinct and separate individual until the moment of birth when it is no longer a fetus but a person.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

That's good, you're getting it, capability.

Or another word, viability.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

This dude is surely on the ball!

Locking Men up for 10 years in the company of other Men is sure to turn everybody straight! Stands to reason considering homosexualy could never take place in such an environment!
LoL
edit on 27-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: HauntWok

That's good, you're getting it, capability.

Or another word, viability.

Right, so apparently, to you very small children, infants, people under anesthesia, in ICUs, people with disabilities, mental retardation, etc are not persons and are okay to kill?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Okay. Define personhood then. Instead of dodging with semantics, supply us with your definition.

First and foremost, a person is someone who has been born.

I believe person is a legal term that refers to human individuals. In this context, individual is the key word. A fetus is not a distinct and separate individual until the moment of birth when it is no longer a fetus but a person.

But why? What magic happens at birth that makes one go from not human to human or a person?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

And how did Christians react? The guy no longer has a church, that's how.

Really? Got a citation for that claim?

Standing ovation greets Pastor Charles Worley, who made anti-gay statements

Although gay rights and anti-hate groups responded with outrage when a North Carolina pastor called for gays and lesbians to be fenced in so they eventually die off, he was greeted with a standing ovation by his church members when he approached the pulpit, the Hickory Record reported.

“I appreciate all the support,” Pastor Charles Worley told the 100 or so congregants at Providence Road Baptist Church near Maiden, N.C., on Sunday, according to the Record. Several members stood and spoke out; others threw up their hands in support of their pastor.

OOOOOHHHH a hundred yokels in a backwoods church. That's a MASSIVE movement. Call the national guard!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Here's a bunch of them for you

HATE IN THE MAINSTREAM

www.splcenter.org...

And you got some democrats in there too:

“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. … They ought to go.”
—MARION BARRY, Washington, D.C., city councilman and former mayor, who later apologized for his April 3 comment

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
But why? What magic happens at birth that makes one go from not human to human or a person?

It's not magic. It's simply birth. Being born. Distinct and separate from its host. Viability.

Small children, infants, people under anesthesia, in ICUs, people with disabilities, mental retardation, etc. are ALL born. Distinct and separate individuals.

By the way, that's what I think. It's what I believe. It's my opinion. Why are you trying to change people's opinions? Why are you pushing your views on other people? You are free to have your views on the issue. Go and join a group to deny women rights to their own bodies, if you want to. Why are you so intent on having people agree with you?

Oh, and if you think it's just a small minority of people who share the Pastor's anti-gay opinions, you're simply not very informed. The Christian/Political anti-gay bandwagon is more determined and more focused than ever. This article is about a First Baptist Church, run by Rev. Mark Harris, who ran for Senate this year. Harris ALSO supported an anti-gay state constitutional amendment in North Carolina. They are worming their way into government at every opportunity. And there are MANY more like him.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A national anti-LGBT hate group will hold a nationally-broadcast “Star-Spangled Sunday” at First Baptist Church on Sunday, Sept. 14, featuring U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R).

Other guests at the event include the Family Research Council’s president, Tony Perkins, as well as Jason and David Benham, twin anti-gay evangelicals and sons of anti-gay street preacher Flip Benham who lost a show on HGTV after backlack due to their radical activism opposing LGBT equality and women’s health.

The event is sponsored by the Family Research Council, a Washington, D.C.-based anti-LGBT advocacy group the Southern Poverty Law Center has named a hate group. The Montgomery, Ala.-based SPLC says the council’s “specialty is defaming gays and lesbians” and that it “makes false claims about the LGBT community based on discredited research and junk science.”

Anti-Gay Hate Group to Bring Cruz and Huckabee to First Baptist

This is not just a handful of some backwoods fundies we're talking about. It's quite mainstream, with several 2016 presidential possibilities encouraging and leading the pack.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Religion™ is for people afraid of Hell.. Spirituality is for folks that have already been there...

I might actually give 2 squirts if Religion™ paid their taxes, but because "they" don't, well......

namaste

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

BOTH of the KOCH bros are lesser deamon to SOROS but BOTH are two party hacks anyway so ...NO. YOU don't define us WE will.WE are the middle and WE are the party not some construct of either party to screw us up because we THREATEN the statis QUO.

Kind of like ranting about how the Executive branch is forced to unilateral action because of a Republican House while the Senate has a majority leader refusing to allow well over 300+ (mostly bipartisan) bills to go up for a vote...

The guy in the OP deserves the scorn he's gotten. I'm amazed at the way things here at ATS turn out at times. It seems like almost any given topic serves (eventually) as a magnet for someone else to throw in their two cents about current politics when the connection is tangental, at best.

As far as gay marriage is concerned, I wonder if anyone arguing their case for legislative validation has ever pointed out common-law marriage? Anyone who has been in a long-term relationship knows that it isn't easy and takes commitment from both parties to make it work. We've recently seen several celebrity couples that have been partners for 30 or more years. Somehow it just doesn't seem right that there should be discrimination against them when it comes to all the things a couple has to deal with at some point like property rights, medical decisions, etc... I just read this morning of a couple literally begging the court to recognize their relationship because one of the partners has stage 4 cancer. Some gay partners can't even get into I.C.U. because it is "immediate family only".

Btw, I'm really getting tired of seeing the Tea Party compared to the Taliban. I disagree with the current trend to dismiss hyperbole out of hand, it can serve to make valuable point sometimes, but saying the Tea Party is the closest thing we have to the Taliban is like saying the Moon is the closest thing we have to Europa!
edit on C2014Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:43:06 -05008th11u2014-08-27T11:43:06-05:00kAmerica/Chicago by CornShucker because: changed the word local to immediate

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: NavyDoc

It's not magic. It's simply birth. Being born. Distinct and separate from its host. Viability.

Small children, infants, people under anesthesia, in ICUs, people with disabilities, mental retardation, etc. are ALL born. Distinct and separate individuals.

By the way, that's what I think. It's what I believe. It's my opinion. Why are you trying to change people's opinions? Why are you pushing your views on other people? You are free to have your views on the issue. Go and join a group to deny women rights to their own bodies, if you want to. Why are you so intent on having people agree with you?

Oh, and if you think it's just a small minority of people who share the Pastor's anti-gay opinions, you're simply not very informed. The Christian/Political anti-gay bandwagon is more determined and more focused than ever. This article is about a First Baptist Church, run by Rev. Mark Harris, who ran for Senate this year. Harris ALSO supported an anti-gay state constitutional amendment in North Carolina. They are worming their way into government at every opportunity. And there are MANY more like him.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A national anti-LGBT hate group will hold a nationally-broadcast “Star-Spangled Sunday” at First Baptist Church on Sunday, Sept. 14, featuring U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R).

Other guests at the event include the Family Research Council’s president, Tony Perkins, as well as Jason and David Benham, twin anti-gay evangelicals and sons of anti-gay street preacher Flip Benham who lost a show on HGTV after backlack due to their radical activism opposing LGBT equality and women’s health.

The event is sponsored by the Family Research Council, a Washington, D.C.-based anti-LGBT advocacy group the Southern Poverty Law Center has named a hate group. The Montgomery, Ala.-based SPLC says the council’s “specialty is defaming gays and lesbians” and that it “makes false claims about the LGBT community based on discredited research and junk science.”

Anti-Gay Hate Group to Bring Cruz and Huckabee to First Baptist

This is not just a handful of some backwoods fundies we're talking about. It's quite mainstream, with several 2016 presidential possibilities encouraging and leading the pack.

Please point out where I have attempted to push any sort of view on anyone. All I've been doing is challenging people eto think logically and step out of their dogmatic comfort zone.

Birth cannot logically be the only answer. Physiologically and logically, a baby in the womb is no different than a baby outside the womb one hour later.

Here is the issue. Nobody wants to think critically on either side of the issue. Bible thumpers don't want to consider anything outside of conception because that would expand abortion and so they humanize that which is obviously not human. Pro-abortionists don't want to consider personhood outside the arbitrary passage through six inches of birth canal because they don't even want to consider any sort of restriction and it is much easier to kill what one keeps dehumanized.

I find some valid points but also some blind refusal to think on both sides of this issue.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Who are the "Pro-abortionists" in this thread?

Please point out where I have attempted to push any sort of view on anyone. All I've been doing is challenging people eto think logically and step out of their dogmatic comfort zone.

By offering hypothetical fantasy?

This is the rub, RE abortion. If, and I emphasize the IF, the unborn is another person, when does one person have the right to kill another? Self defense, obviously is one reason I can see.

Here ^ you are "hypothetically" claiming that abortion is murder, but you're offering an out as in "self defense".

So if the government makes a law, using the electroencephalogram and the criteria we currently use to determine human life at the end of life, that provides that an unborn child is indeed a living human with all of the rights thereof as determined by science and not religion, would you be okay with that?

Here ^ you are asserting that pro-choice advocates don't think the unborn is human or alive. Of course, nobody is claiming any such thing.

And, you keep moving the goal post, in order to get others to agree with you hypothetical morality.

Does one individual, assuming for the sake of argument that an unborn baby is a person, have the right to kill another one?

My distinctions make perfect sense. When is it or should it be permissible to kill another person and how are we going to define another person.

I'm not trying to blur the point. When is it justified to take the life of another human being?

Clearly, you believe that the unborn are people, and that abortion is murder of a autonomous person.

You have tried every trick you can think of, including accusing us of illogical dogma, to get us to admit that abortion is the murder of a human being/person, and to acquiesce to your viewpoint that the unborn are people, who have rights, above and beyond the woman who is pregnant.

I disagree with you and I will never see things from your point of view.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join