It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Weren't Alatar and Palando a creation of Iron Crown Ents?

I...I don't know...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

*falls in chasm*

edit on 25-8-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
*schucks. double post.*
edit on 25-8-2014 by Bybyots because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but it has to be said:

Jackson has gone way too far.

It's a childrens' book.

Now look at it. What a mess.

When Jackson first started making these movies he claimed to understand the responsibility he had taken on for generations of fans of Tolkein's books.

He has seriously lost his way, but it's too late to really do anything but point it out and not see the movie.

He should have just made an original fantasy series.

I'm inclined to agree with you - My first official chapter book was The Hobbit, back in 4th grade; my Mom kept a paperback set in the basement for years, and I finally asked her what they were about.

Now, without digressing from the main point of this post - The other Lord of the Rings books weren't meant for kids, but reading the Hobbit was easily understandable to my 4th-grade self. You have a quest to steal gold back from an evil dragon, a bunch of dwarves, and some funny elements that hint at darker things kids don't think about (For example, having a bear sit on an orc and kill him is funny to a kid...until that kid realizes that more creatures were killed in there). My Mom also tossed me a bibliography, where the idea for this book was to read it in parts to kids around a fire or at bedtime.

In regards to the movie, I already posted I was dissatisfied with the second, more than the first. The original Trilogy was almost spot on, especially in the extended editions; sadly, the only thing I am walking away with from the Hobbit Trilogy is the music.

I'm going to see it, but internally the movie is ranked below other films that are coming out - Too much has changed from the book. In all honesty, the Hobbit movie should have been no more than two films; The first could have ended when in the Wood-elves kingdom (skipping out Legolas, or showing a brief clip of him, and removing the dwarf + elf romantic plot), with the second film starting up with driving the Necromancer from Mirkwood (instead of having him lead the army away).

-fossilera

PS: For those saying the Hobbit isn't a kid's book; I say compare the writing styles - In 4th grade, the Hobbit made sense, Lord of the Rings did not. 6th grade came around, and Lord of the Rings started to make sense.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

*squeeee!*

Can't wait!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I can't wait either. I have yet to be disappointed by any of these films.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I'm totes with you on PJ going to far in these latest films btw, I really enjoyed part 1 inspite of a few geeky gripes, but the second was just awful.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sorry PJ, after watching the 1st and tollerating the 2nd effort and realising that my cat has produced better in his litter tray, I wont be watching the turd... erm.. third.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mister_Bit

Perhaps you need to get videos of your cat's litter up on YouTube so you can make $$$$$.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

LMAO!! I know right...

I've seen the first and second movies many times, and though the second wasn't quite as good as the first Hobbit movie, and it ended very abruptly... it builds huge suspense for the conclusion...

I think this last movie will be a record breaker... because unless they make movies from whats left in Tolkien work, this will be the last one ever... though I suppose theres still a lot of material to work with

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Did they really have to play Pippin's song through the trailer? Stop living in the past PJ.

Even as an adult I still love the book. I enjoyed the first movie even though the added subplots were completely unnecessary. But the second movie had me literally cringing in parts. And what the hell was PJ thinking when he altered the scene with Smaug? Terrible mess. That was my favorite part of the book and he trashed it. The story really could have been done in one good three hour movie. I'm not all that psyched about the new movie but I'll probably get dragged along to see it anyway lol.

For a laugh, How the desolation of Smaug should have ended.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join