It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think or read in accents?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: shapur

Damn you. Now you made me reread your post for the proper effect.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I do it all the time, it's like an illness.

Nothing to do with the nationality or region of the author - I will just get the urge to do one of my accents.

Brum, Scouse, Glaswegian, Manc, Geordie, Yorkshire, East Midlands, Dublin...whatever the urge.

One of my strongest urges is Northern Ireland.

Just the mention - there; I'm now reading this back in Northern Ireland, so I am.

Please help!

I need help.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

How do you manage that? Most of my thoughts are me talking to myself in my head or out loud. I have emotions for thoughts sometimes with body reactions (like smiling or laughing) as a type of external thought but i cant think in only pictures.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

Put it this way...

I was a late speaker. When I was a toddler, my mother was concerned that I might be deaf or dumb, because I did not speak. It was only when I was three, that I uttered my first words. They were however, a legible sentence. It was a nice day out (snowing, howling gales and so on), and I wanted to go to the beach, so I said "Beach, buggy, walk!".

I never saw a need to vocalise until that point. Obviously, I would cry if injured, or if unwell, but until that point, I had not uttered even an attempt at language. I am increasingly of the belief, that the reason for that is to do with my way of thinking. As for how I manage it, well, my linguistic capabilities have not been negatively effected by my manner of cogitation, and so I do not suffer in any way from thinking the way I do.

It is not something I have to manage, it is just how it has always been. It is only when I need to vocalise a thought that it ever gets written in my mind in language, rather than in essence. For example, when I think of the lady I met in the bar last week, I do not think of her name written on the meat of my mind, instead I summon to mind her face, the way the light picked out her facial peircings, the way her laugh seemed to sink into my bones themselves... I can convert that feeling into textual or spoken language (although there exists no language, no words which can do these things any justice), to describe it to others, but for me thinking of her is more of a combination of sense memories, than involving any process of my linguistic mind.

I also conceptualise things which I have never seen, with my time in my minds eye, roiling clouds of nebulae in the heavens, the shredding, whirling hearts of black holes, stars at the moment of their violent, expansive demise... these things I have never seen for myself in real time, can dance in my skull as if I was right beside them, or inside them as is often the case. I do not see the mathematics that I do not fully grasp, which is used to describe these things, scrolling by when I watch these things play out in my head, nor do I hear documentary commentary of their activity as I think of them, merely the process itself.

And again, I can share these things with others using language, but they do not exist within my mind as linguistic data, until such time as I require to distribute these thoughts to others, at which point, the nameless, unrestrained thought, defying description, acquires by necessity its name, is tamed for the purpose of delivery, is described, and shared in the normal way.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Ah I see interesting. I can visualize and feel things but i tend to have a constant commentary going which both leads to deep thought but also can be troublesome at times as it can lead to bad thoughts occasionally.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join