It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown orange/red glow over Pacific Ocean

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien
I agree and photoshopping some of those images would require quite a bit of talent and time.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LarryLove

Yes, I just read Dutchman's words on the ability of those ultra-wide lenses in avoiding star trails.

I need to get such a lense!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Peloquin
I shot a riot once using an ultrawide and things it caught still amazes me today. Lovebeck needs to go educate him/herself and come back with something solid.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper
Well I said it sort of tongue in cheek as far as debunking. However I 'm also trying to illustrate that I'm willing to take in viewpoints that I don't necessarily agree with/want to believe. I find that healthy debate from all sides with no name calling can help us get to the truth, so I'm willing to listen. Let's face it there are fakers who ruin it for everyone else.

In truth I've been researching strange phenomenon for years and have an overflowing Fortean bookshelf so I truly want to believe that this is real. It is of my opinion that if we don't believe in the magical unknown the world is a rather dull place..there are many mysteries on this earth that cannot be explained.

Fascinating discussion at any rate...

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Alright, first of all, I want to address the 'trolls' here, it has come to my attention that there are some people who find it necessary to insult/harass the photographer via email/private messages, and while it is not in my power to prevent this, I do feel kind of guilty since it is a result of me posting this here on ATS.

Please, if you feel this is a hoax, provide evidence, don't attack the photographer

2nd, awesome to see that this is getting the attention it deserves, and making it to the top of the homepage!
I have contacted the photographer/co-pilot, forwarded some of the questions that were asked here. And he replied to me in Dutch, I asked if I could translate it, and he approved. The following is my translation of his answers, should something have lost in translation, I take full responsibility.
Here we go;

Q:

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
Still, the Strange Light Beam is What Throws Me Off. Are There Any More Information or Detail Pertaining to the Light Beam?

A:

The flash was about 25-30 minutes before we flew over this area, so very far away. It looked like a very powerful flash of lightning, only much shorter and much brighter. Also, it appeared that the flash was directed upward, as if a huge flash of lightning shot upwards from a big cloud.

Before and after no flashes were seen in the dark night, which is a bit odd in case of a thunderstorm. Also, it was strange that there was nothing to see on the weather radar later what could indicate a thunderstorm (although that is not conclusive (storms over the ocean are often less reflective than on land, thus sometimes can be difficult to be picked up by a weather radar onboard).

My captain and I (I am co-pilot) were both shocked and had not seen such strange flash before.

Q:

originally posted by: lovebeck
Air Traffic Control and an investigation into what happened in this remote region of the ocean is now started. Link to this "investigation"??

A:

I have direct contact with the Anchorage Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC), and they read our reports and viewed the photos .
They were also unable to figure out the cause, and have forwarded the pictures and information to the American meteorological service and seismic service. What they do with it I don't know. But it is taken seriously, if only because there may be an ash cloud could hanging there.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Well I think he/she left cause he/she knew the argument was defeated.

It is not debunked yet. I await the response from him/her later.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousWitness

I agree but Lovebeck seems to know it all!

If anyone out there can find evidence of digital manipulation (not RAW conversion) then provide it.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Dinoflagellates are a marine plankton that cause red tides, flashing waves and the sparkling waves behind boats as they churn through the water, but the organisms have to be physically stimulated for them to produce bright flashes. In contrast, vibrio harveyi will glow with a continuous light on their own, under the right conditions. Those conditions include very high concentrations of the bacterial in order to accumulate enough of the trace chemical that induces this light production. A conservative estimate calls for 40 billion trillion bacteria packed into a space the size of Hawaii. This is equivalent to the number of grains of sand it would take to cover the entire earth with a layer 10 centimeters thick. Since we see lots of "splotches" (if real) it makes me think a large fleet had to have been traveling through the waters.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

edit on 25-8-2014 by nexotop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Terrestrial Gamma Ray Flashes is also possible.

en.wikipedia.org...

Terrestrial gamma-ray flashes (TGFs) are bursts of gamma rays produced in the Earth's atmosphere. TGFs have been recorded to last 0.2 to 3.5 milliseconds, and have energies of up to 20 MeV. They are probably caused by intense electric fields produced above or inside thunderstorms. Scientists have also detected energetic positrons and electrons produced by terrestrial gamma-ray flashes.[1][2]

Scientists from Duke University have also been studying the link between certain lightning events and the mysterious gamma ray emissions that emanate from the Earth's own atmosphere, in light of newer observations of TGFs made by RHESSI. Their study suggests that this gamma radiation fountains upward from starting points at surprisingly low altitudes in thunderclouds.

Steven Cummer, from Duke University's Pratt School of Engineering, said, "These are higher energy gamma rays than those coming from the sun. And yet here they are coming from the kind of terrestrial thunderstorm that we see here all the time."

Early hypotheses of this pointed to lightning generating high electric fields and driving relativistic runaway electron avalanche at altitudes well above the cloud where the thin atmosphere allows gamma rays to easily escape into space, similar to the way sprites are generated. Subsequent evidence however, has suggested instead that TGFs may be produced by driving relativistic electron avalanches within or just above high thunderclouds. Though hindered by atmospheric absorption of the escaping gamma rays, these theories do not require the exceptionally intense lightning that high altitude theories of TGF generation rely on.

The role of TGFs and their relationship to lightning remains a subject of ongoing scientific study.

In 2009, the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope in Earth orbit observed intense burst of gamma rays corresponding to positron annihilations coming out of a storm formation. Scientists wouldn't have been surprised to see a few positrons accompanying any intense gamma ray burst, but the lightning flash detected by Fermi appeared to have produced about 100 trillion positrons. This was reported by news media in January 2011, and had never been previously observed.[21][22]

commons.wikimedia.org...

edit on 25-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

And green . . .

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Thankyou very much for this great explanation! And you're right, I just remember a video I recently shot from a landscape while being a passenger in a car. As you described: The houses and trees right beside the street whizzed by me very fast, while the landscape in the background (clouds, mountains) totally stood still. It was a funny effect.

That being said, and keeping in mind, that now it is really possible, that those pics are genuine, I wonder what they might depict.

Possibly underwater volcanoes. But considering "Hannovers Fist" post on Dutchman's blog about other current strange occurences in the last days/month (earthquakes in California and Chile, and the millions of dead yellifish on the pacific costs) it also could have been "earth lights", sometimes observed right before massive earthquakes.

Hm, I hope that's not the case. We don't need another Fukushima.

Rather I'd hope it's something as cool as USOs (underwater UFos).

Interestingly, one commenter on Dutchman's blog was a guy who wrote about his possibly related sighting of a massive UFO back in march 2014 who reminded me of a thread I've read not long ago here on ATS, were something similar was reported. Possibly it even was the same guy. And if this was the case, then this gives the ATS guy's case more credibility, because why should he repeat his report "out in the open" (outside the more or less "safe" halls of ATS), if not for seeking people who've seen the same things he did see. Indeed he actually asked this.

xEZGamerx 25-Aug-2014 21:25 In March of this year "2014" My girlfriend and I witnessed a giant floating city over Gresham Oregon it was massive. We reported the sighting but never got answers. This floating city had a large bubble structure on top with towers inside the bubble that looked like skyscrapers and a strange appendage sticking out the top of the craft. It was March 13th. I think that this might be that craft?! If possible I would really appreciate some help figuring this out. I was thinking that since this craft was so large it probably was picked up on radar or filmed from a satellite or the ISS... If someone/ anyone knows how to get satellite images or radar images of March 13 2014 please email me. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Im really not sure about the sea glowing red like that. It pretty much blew my mind lol. But i wonder if the green skys have anything to do with the big solar flare from that day. S+F great pics

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Thank you for defending the possibilities

I forgot to mention, I asked the photographer if it would be possible for us to view the photos in high(-er) resolution, and he will probably make them available later today or tomorrow, watermarked (and I can't blame him!).

I'm sure I am not the only one looking forward to viewing them in a higher resolution, let's try to solve this mystery ATS!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Thankyou very much for bringing our attention to this fascinating mystery!

I appreciate such informations, because they remind me that there's more in the world than just all the cruelties we're fed by the medias.

Greetings from Germany

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

This may be the pilot/photographer could lend credence to it being truth?

Born in 1983 in Holland, I have been interested in aviation and photography since years and decided from early on I wanted to become a pilot.

www.airplane-pictures.net...

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LarryLove

I agree but Lovebeck seems to know it all!

If anyone out there can find evidence of digital manipulation (not RAW conversion) then provide it.

I think some people on this board are being a bit harsh!

As I already pointed out, the exif data is neither here nor there. As far as it being hard to photoshop these pictures, well thats complete bull!
Here's one from the op, it took me more time to upload it than it did to do a color adjustment!

The person responsible for this photo could just as easily have adjusted the color in the same way that I just did, I turned down the red, they could simply have turned it up.

To say the debunkers have failed is rather jumping the gun on this one.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Peloquin

I am just forwarding this mystery, again, all credits go to the photographer, but I appreciate you appreciation
. I am sure the photographer does too!

a reply to: Char-Lee

Most definitely, I have no doubt that he is a pilot and a skilled photographer too.
It's the authenticity of the captured phenomenon that some people question, I am not one of them, I don't believe this is a hoax.

edit on 25-8-2014 by AnonymousWitness because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
I'll keep my opinion of the pictures to myself, but I'll say this.

The exif data is zero proof of anything! Any data can be altered! Send me the original images and I'll alter it so that it says it was taken on a 1800's pinhole camera.

I can't comment on that, other than just about anything digital is up for grabs, but I do see remarks from the originator of the pictures, on his use of the camera that correspond to what the pictures show, or rather more important, what that camera is capable of doing, as long as you do what it says on the tin, and especially a camera like that. Then there is boom..a new 'puter for a start or drive the crap out of the old one and a heap of other stuff, equating to a lot of shinola.
Then the pictures themselves, did he actually take the best pictures he could have done? probably is likely, creating a hoax in the circumstance is less likely, simply because he was in the right place to show such a phenomena, but especially there, and not flying saucers, but in the area where there is the biggest underwater, albeit supposedly dormant volcano in the known solar system, and also that is there is volcanic activity going on as in Niijima, where there has been three land rises above the sea since the 70's, and which his pictures closely match with what is going on with Niijima, and there is the rub, he could so easily have taken night views of Niijima without any use of photoshop, (which might be problematic for that camera) and placed the scenario in a somewhat different, but by not that much, area.
edit on 25-8-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Hi smurfy.
As I said earlier, I'll not comment on whether the pics are genuine. My gripe is those stating that they cant be faked, or would be very difficult and require a lot of time, and thinking thats cause to laugh at another member who had doubts about whether the pics are real.

Here's another, took me longer to find the pics than it did to create, imagine what could be done if I spent a couple of hours on it!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join