It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown orange/red glow over Pacific Ocean

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
As just a guess, I would say it's a fishing fleet under a low hanging haze layer. The lights attract the fish...I've seen this before but I wasn't at FL 340!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I knew there was something weird going on. Looks like were getting ready to meet some creatures from another dimenion people. I hope you all have your jeagers ready to go and your synch ratios in check.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousWitness

Impressive first thread!

Assuming this isn't a hoax of some sort, it's definitely something out of the norm. There's at least 4 distinct colors of lights and while most of them are amorphous blobs of luminescence, there are a few in a line that have what appears to be a regular size and shape (ending with the single green light).

I don't know what it is, but I doubt it's bioluminescence of any kind given the color variation and the brilliance (reflecting off the clouds?).

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Could it be a methane explosion underwater?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
As you know, we see some pretty interesting things while flying around up there. Most (not all) have a perfectly rational explanation.

My vote is for the underwater volcanic eruption perhaps combined with "atypical" northern lights from the class M CME which occurred a few days ago.

Interesting, none the less. Fly safe!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Reminded me of this, from Ingo Swann's book 'Penetration'; starting at manuscript page 57, right hand margin marked page 64: A description of a UFO rising from a lake.

'Penetration'

The lights in question are not a reflection of the cockpit lights, and it cannot be bioluminescent creatures, it's too well circumscribed in isolated spots and much too bright from that altitude. No reported volcanoes in that area, and if that's what it is, we'd know about it by now, that would be a substantial eruption. I'm really hoping it's not leaked radiation from Fukushima which I would presume if visible at all would look from above like a cloud weather pattern looks from satellite photos (a swirling pattern following ocean currents, not circles of light that when seen from that altitude, must be very large).

Helluva first post, OP!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
a reply to: AnonymousWitness

Awesome Find! I Think It Could Be a New Land Mass Sprouting Up. Pretty Kool to Find it Like This. Glad No One Got Hurt.
Still, the Strange Light Beam is What Throws Me Off. Are There Any More Information or Detail Pertaining to the Light Beam?
I Would Say that Whatever Was in the Crust, Heated Up b/c of All the Seismic Activity and Jetted Outta There. Earth is Shaking Also From the CME That Are Hitting Earths Weak Magnetic Field. The Fact that It is Located in the Ring of Fire is Irrelevant Simply Because of that is the way Earths Mantle and Crust of the Continental Tectonic Plates are Placed, Weak Spots Perfect for New Land Development.

Do You Have Any Idea How Writing Like This Screwes Up Reader's Eyes?

please stop.

as for the thread, perhaps it just proves how little we know about the jewel called Earth and her mother, Nature.
perhaps. perhaps it has nothing to do with nature though. great photos anyway.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Photos of bioluminescence: b ioluminescence - Australia

Red tide creates neon-blue waves but apparently the light isn't produced without the agitation of the waves crashing on shore.

I'll be the first to point it out - many UFOs are described as 100 to 300 foot across or more, round red, orange or white lights...

Can anyone better at math than me approximate the size of those lights from 34,000 feet?
edit on 0453128pmMondayf53Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:53:04 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Sadly, the EXIF data posted on the first page of this thread makes me doubt the legitimacy of these pictures. An 8-second exposure time on a camera is quite long. For those not aware of what exposure times do, here's some (unrelated) example photographs using an 8-second exposure time. photographerblog.org...

I will admit now that I'm not a photography expert, and I don't know how these pictures could have been created, I just know that an 8-second exposure is unusually long for a camera, especially when moving.

The column of light described, could that have been upper-atmospheric lightning? en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 25-8-2014 by CitizenErased because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
People keep forgetting about the beam on forehand!

Two mysterieus sightings within a short timespan is likely to be related.

So forget the alge's or vulcano's.

I remember user Zaphod talking about some new beam weapon wat is already in a visible testing fase.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Briles1207
Bioluminsecent Phytoplankton? or something similar?

That's my best guess, beautiful though.

Here it is in the day. GLOW

I thought the exact same thing, maybe some new species.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is a fascinating development. It's made all the more so by the fact that so far there does not appear to be a logical explanation. With all the strange developments taking place all over the world it seems as if we're gearing up for some strange days ahead.

Maybe the planet earth has just about enough of us all and is gearing up to put on a show. Is it a call to reshape our priorities? I can't say for certain but its quite interesting. Nice photography as well.

We are living in interesting times.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CitizenErased

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that's really that unusual....he said it was taken at a VERY high ISO, which is a measure of how much light is allowed into the camera during an exposure, or in other words, its sensitivity to light. So being that it was taken at a high ISO, you'd actually expect to find a longer exposure time in order for anything to show up in the photo at all.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire For some reason, that was my first thought as well....methane explosion. Great mystery anyhow. With all the strange earth "events" going on, incidents occurring more and more, one can't help but wonder what the status of methane is as of late...increases in ejecting, unstable scenarios to it or what.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Quite sharp pictures for long exposures taken from an airplane.

As a photog, this is exactly what I was thinking. Some of them were 30 second exposures...How he managed that with no camera shake is beyond me. Notice he doesn't offer up any explanation, either.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well I think I have an explanation for the long exposure. If he was initially trying to get a pic thinking he may catch another beam of light randomly the best setting would be a long exposure. That's the exact method people use to get those magnificent lightning pics…camera on tripod with long exposure time and your bound to get a few lightning bolts in there.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This photo in particular has me stumped and thinking this is a possible hoax:

This looks like it was taken from a mountain top, or some other high vantage point, on a tripod and without camera shake. Not a plane. I do not see how one could take a THIRTY SECOND EXPOSURE, let alone a 3 second one, without major blurring of the the entire photo if it was taken from a plane cruising at 34,000 feet in the air.

You'd have to STOP the plane, and that isn't happening, to get this shot.

To me it looks like a possible forest fire, taken from a high and far away vantage point, with the "northern lights" added in during post. Or for those who speak Photoshop, a composite of the images.

I just don't buy it and that is based on my own experience as a photographer and as someone who's flown quite a bit...

However, if there is someone with both a physics and photography background that can explain this, then by all means...Explain away!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: waverlyhills
This is a fascinating development. It's made all the more so by the fact that so far there does not appear to be a logical explanation. With all the strange developments taking place all over the world it seems as if we're gearing up for some strange days ahead.

Maybe the planet earth has just about enough of us all and is gearing up to put on a show. Is it a call to reshape our priorities? I can't say for certain but its quite interesting. Nice photography as well.

We are living in interesting times.

There's no logical explanation because there is no way someone could take a 30 second exposure, from a plane cruising at 34k feet, without major blurring and camera shake. Even if he somehow set up a tripod and took the shot, the plane IS STILL MOVING at how many MPH?

Those of us who know photography, heck even those who took it in high school, should be able to understand that this is just not possible. It's easy to put your photos on Pbase with some extraordinary story in order for them to go viral...

As far as the quality goes, he could have at least turned on the long exposure noise reduction for crying out loud.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Good thread OP. S&F. I have no clue what is causing it. I read some of the posts, some people have some good ideas. Maybe it is the algae, but that sure looks bright for an algae glow. Could also be a combination of a couple of events one being northern lights.

Maybe something new will be discovered.

For those who keep mentioning algae glow at night, is there any photos of any glowing red? All i can find are blue.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Never tried this myself but it's a full frame Nikon camera the lens is 10mm focal length the other pictures look legit ie in an aircraft.

Taking an average speed for the aircraft of 500mph it would have traveled 3.8 miles during the exposure I don't think there would be a dramatic change in the background stars that's why it would be good to see the full size file.
edit on 25-8-2014 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join