It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amnesia The Dark Descent: The Game That Keeps Giving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
One thing that I like about PC games, is their ability in many cases to keep on giving, well after you've bought the game, sometimes for years and years.
Makes sense considering the prices we sometimes pay for some games (up to $60.00 USD or more). I think for me the worst, is to pay that much for a game, and get through it in just a few days.

Some games have DLCs (Down Loadable Content) that the make of the game adds later on, that you can also buy and extend the life of the game. While it is great to see the maker of a game continue to support it with more content, sometimes these DLCs end up being $20 USD each.

However, in many cases, there are things out there that can add life to a game that are totally free to us, such as mods. Mods can do all sorts of things for us PC gamers: bug fixes, changing style of game play, changing the way the game looks, or even adding content to the game.

Back in 2010, Frictional Games released a game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and is a fine example of a game that the developer released, with the idea of players adding mods to it.

They (Frictional Games) made it to where fans could build their own stories for the game, and made it rather easy for players to install and run. Most of these are called Custom Stories.

You can review and search for Amnesia Custom Stores at web sites like Mod DB, where you can read other player's reviews of mods and even see ones that are works in progress.

Installing a custom story is very easy in most cases, which simply involves downloading the custom story, unzipping the file, then copying the folder located within the zip file to a folder in you Amnesia install that is actually called "Custom_Stories".

When you load up the game, you'll have Custom Stories as a menu selection, and you'll see the custom story you installed for selection.

There are also what we call Total Conversion Mods, which are different to install, but normally come with instructions on how to do so. Total Conversion Mods are quite interesting, as it can feel like you've bought a completely new game to play!

Amnesia: The Dark Descent can still be bought at several places to download from and play. Here is a list of links of where you can buy it from (it runs about $20 USD right now, however, I 've seen it lower at Steam when they are having sales). However (and good news), you can actually try it before you buy it! The first link is to their website for downloading the demo:

Demo

Steam
Humble Store
Good Old Games
Desura

Below are some videos of me playing the main game, and also a couple of the Custom Stories:

A very short clip of me and my son playing, and hearing something new we'd never heard before:

Part 1 of the actual Amnesia: The Dark Descent game:

This is a short 3 minute clip of scares while playing a Custom Story called "A Coward's Debt":

Part 1 of "A Coward's Debt"

I have other Custom Stories that I've made videos of too. Use the link in my signature to check out my channel and see them.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
A short funny clip from the custom story "A Coward's Debt"

join