originally posted by: nOraKat
I was talking to a guy from France today..
He said all of their citizens receive free healthcare no matter who they are.
He also said there are mandatory laws for employers to provide 6 weeks of paid vacation a year!
(..not sure if any of that is true.)
We have the same system in Denmark.
Here you get:
- Free health care, that includes both GP and hospital.
- we have treatment guarantee, which means that if we don't receive treatment within 2-3 months of diagnose we can freely choose a private hospital at
the expense of the state.
- We get subsidies on denstistry, so when I go to have my teeth checked and cleaned once a year, state pays half of the bill.
This weekend we had a bit of an experience with the healthcare system as our boy of age 3 had a bad case of diarrhea with blood in his stool.
At first we went to the emergency service but was sent home told to wait and see.
Then we went a second time the day after because it had gotten worse.
We had several doctors see him, had an IV placed in his arm, had him x-rayed, shipped by ambulance to the state hospital, where they did an ultrasound
and blood samples along with stool samples to check for bacteria.
At the state hospital we received a room with bed for both him and us. The room had 2 PS3 consoles for leisure and the room next door was a play room
for the kids on the ward. Both rooms had cable tv.
As we waited we couldn't eat at first because he had to faste for the ultrasound, but we all had free water, coffee, lemonade and eventually my gf had
a free sandwich and when our son was allowed to eat again, the ward kitchen had several fridges which contained free yoghurt, protein shakes and so
At the end, thank fully, there was nothing wrong with his intestines apart from a bad virus which now is gone after 4 days of bloody stool…
- How much do you think we were charged for all of the above? You've already guessed it…….. NOTHING.
In regards to our vacation system:
- I get 5 weeks paid vacation. Some people who have union deals have 6 weeks paid vacation.
- I get 2 weeks paid leave after birth of our son.
- My girlfriend gets 6 months of paid leave after having given birth.
- After those 6 months she can opt to have additional months on welfare benefit instead. It's substantially lower than her salery, but still better
- All parents get around 800 dollars every third month pr. child. This of course is to spend on child related expenses.
- We pay in full for daycare for the most expensive kid, but the others are half price.
- School in general is free.
That's some of the benefits of living in a socialist welfare state where the taxes might be high, but you never suffer.
edit on 27/8/14 by
flice because: (no reason given)
edit on 27/8/14 by flice because: (no reason given)
edit on 27/8/14 by flice because:
(no reason given)