It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane MARIE Possible Threat to Southern California and Mexico?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I just notice Hurricane MARIE is now a Catagory 5 Hurricane!!! ???

It was no were near that powerful on Saturday night.

Its absorbing Tropical storms Karinas power becoming stronger.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: water temperature at coast

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Big earthquake now a hurricane could hit them. Not a good week for California sadly. The National Hurricane Center on that page said that by Tuesday Marie could cause dangerous swells in Southern California. Are businesses preparing or does it look same old down there?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

As usual no one is even thinking that it can.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1

If you watch this for a few in terms of what is occurring when the hurricanes are moving northward, you'll see that they are essentially dissipating against what I believe is the high pressure ridge that is the source of the drought in California. At worst, California might get some much need rain but I doubt it's going to maintain its strengthen after hitting that ridge.

climate.cod.edu...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I hope you are right about the Ridge and it gives us the needed rain were we need it.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Also with water temperatures in the low 70s and 60s it would cause rapid dissipation, i.e how both Katrina and Rita rapidly went from a CAT 5 to a CAT 3 when they were approaching the shore, the waters are a lot cooler in California than they were in the Gulf of Mexico in 2005, so Marie would likely weaken even more. and btw, its because of the High Pressure that Marie will stay away from the coast, High Pressures push storm to the west-northwest most of the time. If California were to have a Low Pressure it would push it to the coast. But the High Pressure itself won't usually weaken the storm, just steer it, i.e Hurricane Katrina as it passed the Florida Keys in 2005, and Hurricane Ike in 2008, both were pushed west by a high pressure ridge.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

As a LA resident I find this highly unlikely. In the past we find situations like this and the Hurricane never hit Southern California.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: IngyBall

Yep. If I recall correctly, that's what I've been seeing happening previously with other storm systems shooting up towards Japan but super tired today so not trusting my memory much. Basically, it's like watching pool balls hitting each other on a pool table and absolutely, water temp is a factor. The weather is really amazing, isn't it?

More on that thing though last I saw, it was dissipating somewhat. Sure hope so: news.stanford.edu...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Hurricane Marie isn't going to hit Southern California. Doesn't look like any rain either. They'll definitely get some large surf, but that's about it. If it was going up the Gulf of California, then I'd be worried.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Tropical Storm Remnants from tropical cyclones have hit calif before and will again.

en.wikipedia.org...

Many calif rainfall records have been set by these Tropical Storm Remnants

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

All i going to say is.........We are going to get a ton of rain if it keeps on its current path.

And if it keeps heading north its going to cause massive coast damage due to very strong waves.

Cat 3 Marie

The voice inside me keeps saying "Die just die already"

Then we have Tropical Depression KARINA slowly being devoured by Marie.
edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: Marie

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

A ton of rain? Really doubt it. While we could use it to be sure, I haven't seen any forecast predicting any rain for southern Ca.

NOAA forcast for Marie:

NOAA

Continued slow weakening is expected in the short term due to gradually decreasing sea surface temperatures and the possibility of the current eyewall replacement evolving further. Even though the vertical shear is forecast to be light, Marie will be crossing the 26 deg C isotherm in 12-18 hours and should reach sub-24 deg C waters by 48 hours. With the thermodynamic environment worsening so quickly, near-rapid weakening is likely after about 24 hours until the cyclone becomes post-tropical by day 3. The cyclone will then continue to spin down over even cooler waters, but the remnant circulation could linger beyond the end of the forecast period. The intensity forecast has been lowered a bit relative to the previous one due mostly to the greater rate of weakening observed since the last advisory.

Again, the only thing you're going to get is some large surf at the very south facing beaches. For a good show, go find a web cam of the "The Wedge" in Newport Beach. Now that will be something to see!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: surfinguru

I agree, Looks like just some big surf, some coastal flooding and beach erosion.

High Surf Advisory:

The National Weather Service has issued a high surf advisory for today through Friday, with large surf, strong rip currents and sets as high as 15 feet.

The wells will produce large surf, strong rip currents and strong longshore currents this afternoon through Thursday, and minor coastal flooding and beach erosion also are possible.

Orange County to be hit hardest.

Surf of 8 to 10 feet will begin at some beaches, “mainly in Northern Orange County,” on Tuesday, becoming more widespread Tuesday night and Wednesday across Orange County, the advisory said.

Big Surf, if conditions are good, look for an epic day

Occasional sets at some beaches could be 12 to 15 feet, the advisory said. The southerly swell will fade Wednesday Night and Thursday but Orange County surf will continue above 7 feet through Thursday, the advisory said.

Link to article

The Wedge WebCam

edit on 26-8-2014 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: surfinguru

Yep, pretty much. If it follows the same pattern as the prior, any precipitation is going to pass California. Again. Really feeling bad for California about now.

climate.cod.edu...

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's just going to feed the plate tension a little. Nothing to worry about, they are used to daily quakes in California.

Water beating on the coast does increase the energy level of the plates I have read. This does not mean a big quake will occur though, maybe just more baby ones.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Marie is now moving away so yea no rain for us lol.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Norbert hit the ridge, went splat and well, S. California got the precipitation they needed, just all at once.

climate.cod.edu...

The good thing is that it looks like that dark wall to the left of California (ridge) is deteriorating even more after Norbert splat against it. That would be excellent for California as that could mean rain will actually start reaching the state. Fingers crossed.

new topics

top topics

join