It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK high school administrator shames female students with dress code, calls them ‘skanks’

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: jimmyx

geez...that administrator could set a better example if see didn't look like see came off a three day drunk in the video, has she heard of eye make-up to cover the large brown druggie-esque bags under her eyes?....plus it's Oklahoma, it's hot and humid there until winter. I went to high school in the late 60's and the girls had mini-skirts on then, this isn't new. and if you have a daughter, just tell her to wear a bathing suit bottom when she wears a short skirt.....maybe this administrator was looking A LITTLE TOO CLOSELY, if you know what I mean.

We both went to high school at the same time, and tell me, did the short short mini skirts expose cause you to act out uncontrollably, or were you desensitized after a while?

I didn't act out uncontrollably, it was the fashion back then....but, at the same time, I didn't stop looking, I liked it, along with every other heterosexual guy there that had a pulse. years later at my 40th reunion, after several...uhmm...adult beverages, what I long had suspected was confirmed by a long ago female friend...the girls back then, knew exactly how much they were showing, and to whom it was being shown to. guys back then used hot rods, and the girls used hot bods to...uh...get aquainted.

But, did you consider girls in mini skirts as 'skanks'?

of course not, but teens have always been a** h*les, in the way they put each other down. they are emotionally stunted, and socially inexperienced at that age. that hasn't changed, just the nomenclature used.

Yeah, so teens don't need anybody else putting them down, shaming them, or humiliating them, when they have it coming from all directions.

agreed, I think something else is going on with this administrator, though...that said, it might be time for this school to go to a uniform dress code.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

geez...that administrator could set a better example if see didn't look like see came off a three day drunk in the video, has she heard of eye make-up to cover the large brown druggie-esque bags under her eyes?....plus it's Oklahoma, it's hot and humid there until winter. I went to high school in the late 60's and the girls had mini-skirts on then, this isn't new. and if you have a daughter, just tell her to wear a bathing suit bottom when she wears a short skirt.....maybe this administrator was looking A LITTLE TOO CLOSELY, if you know what I mean.

We both went to high school at the same time, and tell me, did the short short mini skirts expose cause you to act out uncontrollably, or were you desensitized after a while?

I didn't act out uncontrollably, it was the fashion back then....but, at the same time, I didn't stop looking, I liked it, along with every other heterosexual guy there that had a pulse. years later at my 40th reunion, after several...uhmm...adult beverages, what I long had suspected was confirmed by a long ago female friend...the girls back then, knew exactly how much they were showing, and to whom it was being shown to. guys back then used hot rods, and the girls used hot bods to...uh...get aquainted.

But, did you consider girls in mini skirts as 'skanks'?

of course not, but teens have always been a** h*les, in the way they put each other down. they are emotionally stunted, and socially inexperienced at that age. that hasn't changed, just the nomenclature used.

Yeah, so teens don't need anybody else putting them down, shaming them, or humiliating them, when they have it coming from all directions.

agreed, I think something else is going on with this administrator, though...that said, it might be time for this school to go to a uniform dress code.

Yes, I do too, but I just can't put my finder finger on it.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bob Sholtz
a reply to: Annee

perhaps you're right. a close female friend of mine in highschool had her dad wrapped around her finger. a few tears and he would cave. she even told me once about how she was impressed with the act she pulled off with him the previous day. teenagers be crazy.

Oh I'm telling ya, I've been helping raise this kid for the last 5 years. We've had her in counseling, we work with the school, etc ------ it's a nightmare. And she's just a " normal" teen girl. (Who looks like a model). Imagine Dakota Fanning with brown hair, light olive skin, and huge saucer green eyes.

The hardest part is the other parents. It's like they wear blinders.

They've all been caught doing something. We are the ONLY "parents" (in her group) who made the kid be accountable.

edit on 25-8-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Yes I can see a lady with wide hips and become aroused and all at the same time respect her and not gawk. I can see a beautiful lady and be attracted to those qualities and yet not cross the line. Males are not animals. Well to be true we're animals, but are we lawless in the manner animals fail to follow our laws? No. We can obey our laws. We're not unable.

If society wants to remove sexual arousal completely then they need to pinpoint the most common arousal sources and remove them. Is it soft feminine features? Then remove them. Is it the clothes? Change them. Is it XYZ? Remove XYZ. Is it mental? Give us pills.
edit on 25-8-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

the issue here isn't male control. these girls have grown up in a society that has shown them and told them that the only important attributes they can hope to have are physical. they haven't been shown the love that they've wanted combined with the parenting prowess that they've needed.

all of these things combined have created a situation where young girls don't feel valuable unless someone is staring at their exposed bits.

some here propose "well just send them home and have them change clothes" but the real problem isn't the clothes they wear at school, but the mindset. if it continues they'll spend their whole lives looking for love and attention the wrong way and never find peace.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ummm..... Maybe now they will stop dressing like Skanks?

To those refuting (i assume you are male) you most likely do not have daughters (or respect for women - beyond their sexuality).

I love me some Skanky dressing girls, but I would appreciate if they stick to the sidewalks and bars - not our schools. We don't need them encouraging other "Respectable" women to dress like their T n A is all they have to contribute to the world - otherwise they will all start believing that.... Not just the ones who dress like sluts....

Just saying.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Dont you just loooove how so called "grown ups" including the administrator and some people in this thread think they are so very mature and morally refined for name calling and bullying young girls into submission as if they themselves never left high school cliques.

Its quite clear that with age does NOT always come maturity.
edit on 26-8-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Infinitis

To those refuting (i assume you are male) you most likely do not have daughters (or respect for women - beyond their sexuality).

Yes, I am male, have no daughters but I think I'll leave the question of my lack of respect for women up to my ex wife that I put thru medical school, helped set up her practice and supported her unconditionally for all the time we were married. That action alone speaks to my respect for women.

Of course I see women as sexually attractive but that in no way keeps me from respecting women as people and equal in every respect to men.

I find your insults.....insulting. I certainly don't respect you!!!
edit on 26-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aural
Dont you just loooove how so called "grown ups" including the administrator and some people in this thread think they are so very mature and morally refined for name calling and bullying young girls into submission as if they themselves never left high school cliques.

Its quite clear that with age does NOT always come maturity.

You are a male.

How mature are you chronologically?

Are you or have you raised a teenage daughter? My guess is no.
edit on 26-8-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Yes, I am male, have no daughters but I think I'll leave the question of my lack of respect for women up to my ex wife that I put thru medical school, helped set up her practice and supported her unconditionally for all the time we were married. That action alone speaks to my respect for women.

Of course I see women as sexually attractive but that in no way keeps me from respecting women as people and equal in every respect to men.

The whole problem was the length of skirt/dress, but the administrator overstepped her authority.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

The whole problem was the length of skirt/dress, but the administrator overstepped her authority.

But dress codes and instruction on appropriate dress are an administrator's duty. If she called my kid a "skank" I'd be mad, but, from the article, it seems that she was making statements like, "we don't want to dress like skanks" which seems an appropriate comment.

I don't see this as an attempt to denigrate girls but to teach them a bit of decorum and what is appropriate for the venue.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

But dress codes and instruction on appropriate dress are an administrator's duty. If she called my kid a "skank" I'd be mad, but, from the article, it seems that she was making statements like, "we don't want to dress like skanks" which seems an appropriate comment.

I don't see this as an attempt to denigrate girls but to teach them a bit of decorum and what is appropriate for the venue.

I wore short mini skirts to high school in the mid-60's and nobody likened my dressing like a 'skank'.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I wore short mini skirts to high school in the mid-60's and nobody likened my dressing like a 'skank'.

I don't think the term was in popular use back then and administrators certainly instructed kids not to dress "trashy" or "like a hoodlum." Did you have some semblance of a dress code? If you showed up in a bikini top and a mini skirt would the administration counseled you on proper dress and sent you home to change?

I'm just saying that it is not untoward to instruct young people in appropriate dress and decorum in public.
edit on 26-8-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I don't think the term was in popular use back then and administrators certainly instructed kids not to dress "trashy" or "like a hoodlum." Did you have some semblance of a dress code? If you showed up in a bikini top and a mini skirt would the administration counseled you on proper dress and sent you home to change?

I'm just saying that it is not untoward to instruct young people in appropriate dress and decorum in public.

It was the 60's, so we basically dressed as we pleased...freedom of personal expression and all that jazz. But, if there was a dress code restricting length of skirt/dress then I would expect the school admin. to ask me to go home and change and not liken my choice of garb, which was the fashion of the day, to that being like a 'skank'.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't know where anyone else was in the 60s during high school, but I was in "liberal" Southern California ---- and YES they had a dress code.

The average mini skirts of that era weren't that short. They were short for that era. When I started high school in 1960 your skirt hem had to touch the ground when you kneeled. And yes administrators did random checks.

It was more like the 70s when the dress codes were pretty much ignored. It became so bad, many schools have brought back enforced dress codes.

edit on 26-8-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I don't know where anyone else was in the 60s during high school, but I was in "liberal" Southern California ---- and YES they had a dress code.

The average mini skirts of that era weren't that short. They were short for that era. When I started high school in 1960 your skirt hem had to touch the ground when you kneeled. And yes administrators did random checks.

It was more like the 70s when the dress codes were pretty much ignored. It became so bad, many schools have brought back enforced dress codes.

There is a time and place for everything. What is appropriate for a day at the beach is not appropriate for school and unless the kids are taught some decorum and propriety, they are in for a bit of a shock when they hit the job market.

I guess I'm a bit at a loss as to the source of the outrage. Is it because the administrator used the word "skank" in discussing a general type of appearance (because according to the article she didn't call anybody one) or because they think that there should be no standards of dress in school? Sometimes adults try to use what they think is the kids way of talking to better "connect" and usually fail miserably. Is this the case here?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

There is a time and place for everything. What is appropriate for a day at the beach is not appropriate for school and unless the kids are taught some decorum and propriety, they are in for a bit of a shock when they hit the job market.

I guess I'm a bit at a loss as to the source of the outrage. Is it because the administrator used the word "skank" in discussing a general type of appearance (because according to the article she didn't call anybody one) or because they think that there should be no standards of dress in school? Sometimes adults try to use what they think is the kids way of talking to better "connect" and usually fail miserably. Is this the case here?

This one we are in total agreement on.

For one thing, Self Worth, is a very difficult concept to get into the head of any teenager, especially "budding women" teenage girls.

I love a Cindy Crawford quote. Woman says to her: "I wish I looked like you when I wake up in the morning". To which Cindy replied: "So do I".

You may not be the image you present, but everyone else thinks that is exactly who you are.

IMO "SKANK" is a great word, 'cuz it says it all in just one word.

And NO, the administrator did not call or even infer any of her girls were Skanks.

My granddaughters school has started enforcing a pretty strict dress code just the last 2 years. They had been enforcing it in middle school, but not the high school.

We've worked really, really, really hard on her valuing herself. The most important ages are between 9 and 13. If you don't get a handle on kids in those years, you're pretty much screwed.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

It was the 60's, so we basically dressed as we pleased...freedom of personal expression and all that jazz.

freedom is a strange thing and not universally good. the freedom to own property is good, yes? restrictions on actions are bad, right?

given the above (and current u.s. law), i can sit in front of a starving homeless person and eat a buffet while they die. it's my property, so i don't have to give it to anyone else; and i'm a free person, so i'm not under any requirements to get help.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: kids know nothing. they have no life experiences or wisdom to draw from. allowing them to do as they please doesn't end well for anyone.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bob Sholtz
a reply to: InTheLight

It was the 60's, so we basically dressed as we pleased...freedom of personal expression and all that jazz.

freedom is a strange thing and not universally good. the freedom to own property is good, yes? restrictions on actions are bad, right?

given the above (and current u.s. law), i can sit in front of a starving homeless person and eat a buffet while they die. it's my property, so i don't have to give it to anyone else; and i'm a free person, so i'm not under any requirements to get help.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again: kids know nothing. they have no life experiences or wisdom to draw from. allowing them to do as they please doesn't end well for anyone.

You underestimate teens (which are young adults, trying to learn to become adults), so in this case not treating them with the basic respect an adult would receive, namely explaining they violated the rules and why, this administrator not only shamed them, but played ridiculous manipulative games with these young adults (e.g. bend down).

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My chronological age should be irrelevant in regards to opinion on treating others with respect. I could be a teen or a senior citizen, it doesnt matter. I generally dont like to say my age to keep people guessing as i amuse over their wide range of assumtions. I am older than teenaged and younger than dead. Thats all thats needed to be known.

Me being a parent or not is of little importance to you. You already disagree with InTheLight. What difference does it make? Youd still come up with excuses even if i did.

I know of someone personally who attempted suicide after her mother called her a whore. This wasnt over clothes but one event i wont get into as thats her personal info. There are plenty of teens who do kill themselves over being called skanks and do die and over clothes or other things. It happens. Even if they dont wind up dead or suicidal their esteem is effected and that lasts. Words effect people.

You might not like it but kids and teenagers are people too. They should be treated with respect as anyone else should.

If you do not respect others they will not respect you.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join