It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK high school administrator shames female students with dress code, calls them ‘skanks’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: InTheLight

The school administrator handled this situation poorly, and the humiliated girls' parents agree and have since started a petition for her to step down.

Ugh! Parents protecting their little darlings.

Anyone else actually raising kids today, besides me?

Yup. Teenage girl. The principal would have had me crawling down her throat if she called my kid a "skank" and sent her home.

She would have had me applauding her if my kid deserved it.

My granddaughter has been dress coded by her school. I support the school. Her school has the 2" tank top rule. Her bra strap was showing. Her fault. She knew the rule.

Did she really call someone a skank? Or did she say that's not how you want to present yourself?

Who has the right to define what skank looks like?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
i'll probably get flamed for this (though i don't condone the shaming), but in my experience revealing clothes isn't about freedom or expression; but about attention.

people looking gives a self esteem boost and wearing less leads to more looks. wearing less is not a sign of confidence, but the opposite.

i know a woman who recently turned 40 and age is finally catching up to her. she is falling apart mentally because all of her self-worth is tied up in her physical appeal. she's married and quite well off financially.

the issue is not the clothes they're wearing, but that they haven't been shown love for who they are. it is a failure of our culture and our communities.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bob Sholtz
i'll probably get flamed for this (though i don't condone the shaming), but in my experience revealing clothes isn't about freedom or expression; but about attention.

people looking gives a self esteem boost and wearing less leads to more looks. wearing less is not a sign of confidence, but the opposite.

I completely agree with you.

I'm on my 3rd generation (sort of) of kid raising. Raised mine and helped raise the grand kids aging from 21 to 6.

I've learned a lot along the way.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

The school administrator handled this situation poorly, and the humiliated girls' parents agree and have since started a petition for her to step down.

Yup. Teenage girl. The principal would have had me crawling down her throat if she called my kid a "skank" and sent her home.

My granddaughter has been dress coded by her school. I support the school. Her school has the 2" tank top rule. Her bra strap was showing. Her fault. She knew the rule.

Did she really call someone a skank? Or did she say that's not how you want to present yourself?

If you have to ask.

If the questions there, that's your answer.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Daughter2
If a teenage boy unzipped his pants and took it out no one would be saying he was being shamed for showing his body.

I'm sorry, did I fall into an alternate universe? What rock are you living under to think that if a boy yanks his dong out for all to see it's ok?! That's not ok, a teenage boy doing that is well into the realm of indecent exposure. How you came up with this as a parallel is beyond me.

No, I'm not saying it's ok. Of course it is wrong and probably no one would think otherwise.

I'm just using this as an example to prove there is a line not to be crossed in society. It was targeted to all the posters who were equating school dress codes with Muslim dress.

There's a difference between proud of your body and a lack of respect for standards.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

If you have to ask.

If the questions there, that's your answer.

One person's definition of skank is another's definition of sexy. The girls' mode of dress was neither to me, if their skirts and shorts were too short according to mutually agreed upon parent/teacher/administration standards, then send them home to change.
edit on 25-8-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

One person's definition of skank is another's definition of sexy.

HIGH SCHOOL!

I'm raising a 14 year old, who's already 5' 8" and physically stunning. She does not need to be sexy for any reason.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

One person's definition of skank is another's definition of sexy.

HIGH SCHOOL!

I'm raising a 14 year old, who's already 5' 8" and physically stunning. She does not need to be sexy for any reason.

The girls garb in the video did not appear to me to be overly revealing, isn't this what sexy is suppose to look like - not much left to the imagination?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Why do you assume the attire in the video is the same as what was presented on the day the administrator took charge?

The reporting happened after the fact, after the dresscode was enforced. I don't see ass hanging out in that video. I do see it in pre-teens, and teenagers at my local mall. It's very skanky.

I am free to call it that, because that's what it is. Not mere sexy. Skanky.

Let me ask you this. If you see a girl under 16 who is wearing torn shorts that shows half of the ass cheek hanging out (without bending over), would you say this is mere "sexy" ?
edit on 25-8-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Why do you assume the attire in the video is the same as what was presented on the day the administrator took charge?

The reporting happened after the fact, after the dresscode was enforced. I don't see ass hanging out in that video. I do see it in pre-teens, and teenagers at my local mall. It's very skanky.

I am free to call it that, because that's what it is. Not mere sexy. Skanky.

We're not discussing what is worn outside the school, that's the parents' responsibility. The girl with the supposedly too short dress that she could not bend over (there are other ways of picking up a droped item, bend both knees...voila) was filmed that day and I do not consider her garb overly revealing.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Prove it.

Prove what she was wearing that day is shown in the video.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Prove it.

Prove what she was wearing that day is shown in the video.

In the video, the newscaster says "this morning" (where the newcaster interviewed the girl in the evening) and the girl wearing the supposedly short dress, it was pointed out that it was the same girl/same dress that was deemed inappropriate.
edit on 25-8-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I do not support the parents behavior in this. Parents should support a dress code and the school enforcing it.

I've gone through the teenage girl hysterics too many times to let them control the situation.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Burkas all around!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

the semantics are strong with this one.

let us refine our terms and their use with some examples.

a woman slipping off her dress for her partner is sexy; the same woman doing that in public for attention wouldn't qualify as sexy. some may call it arousing, but the underlying cause that led to the action is disturbing and sad. it is neither the time nor place for sexy.

obviously stripping naked is a hyperbole, but can you see how "sexy" can be overdone? there is a difference between looking good and dressing for attention. do you not see how that will likely become unhealthy? letting people reinforce the idea that their only value is how pretty they are through pretty clothes that gives them attention so they feel good (classic conditioning) is something that should definitely be discouraged.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I do not support the parents behavior in this. Parents should support a dress code and the school enforcing it.

I've gone through the teenage girl hysterics too many times to let them control the situation.

Proper behaviour works both ways, that means the administrator should have simply sent the girl's home to change if they were not abiding by the school rules (period). There is something more to this odd and humiliating admin's behaviour than we know.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I just rewatched the video. You're correct.

Apparently there was an initial reaction, then later there was a dress code enforcement day.

The reporting happened on that day.

Her dress did not seem, "skanky" to me, and you're right that she could easily squat down and not have to show her ass.

There were shorts shown in that video that were bordering having the ass hanging out. I don't think we have enough evidence to know if there truly was girls going over the limit of mere sexy.

I do stand by my original post, regardless, and however unappealing it may be to some. The whole point is that these teens are inviting trouble from guys who will want to tap that. I went over how it made more sense to shame in the past, than in recent times, but also went over why it still seems necessary.

Overall, I'm not sure any of this does much good. As long as families remain as broken, filled with overworked, rarely home parents, teens will find ways to do what they want. I'm all for letting teens be teens and explore within reason, but unfortunately there's too many not so bright teens inviting sexual encounters, and having unprotected sex.

You look at the statistics for one parent families, and the correlation with many things that doesn't benefit society:

welfare children/homes
lower grades
lower chance of highschool/college graduation
increased rates of incarceration, drug use, violence, mental illness

I mean, there has to be standards. It's just unfortunate, I guess is all I can conclude.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Well don't that beat all, I find myself agreeing with Annee. Perhaps parenting of teenage girls transcends political views.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Proper behaviour works both ways, that means the administrator should have simply sent the girl's home to change if they were not abiding by the school rules (period). There is something more to this odd and humiliating admin's behaviour than we know.

Do you have a teen girl?

They think everything is humiliating.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
geez...that administrator could set a better example if see didn't look like see came off a three day drunk in the video, has she heard of eye make-up to cover the large brown druggie-esque bags under her eyes?....plus it's Oklahoma, it's hot and humid there until winter. I went to high school in the late 60's and the girls had mini-skirts on then, this isn't new. and if you have a daughter, just tell her to wear a bathing suit bottom when she wears a short skirt.....maybe this administrator was looking A LITTLE TOO CLOSELY, if you know what I mean.

We both went to high school at the same time, and tell me, did the short short mini skirts expose cause you to act out uncontrollably, or were you desensitized after a while?

I didn't act out uncontrollably, it was the fashion back then....but, at the same time, I didn't stop looking, I liked it, along with every other heterosexual guy there that had a pulse. years later at my 40th reunion, after several...uhmm...adult beverages, what I long had suspected was confirmed by a long ago female friend...the girls back then, knew exactly how much they were showing, and to whom it was being shown to. guys back then used hot rods, and the girls used hot bods to...uh...get aquainted.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join