It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking : Earthquake Rocks Northern California

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
The mountains and the valleys began to tremble and shake
Children of the sun begin, to awake -Led Zepplin - Going To California

Those people are so used to it that many may have not even noticed it. lol

Hope all are A-Otay

In the 2011 5.8 quake here in Virginia which was shallow and felt as far away as Georgia the people in LA laughed and said "we use those to stir our coffee" I guess it's easy to become jaded.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm glad you're ok. That one was nasty in terms of damage and loss of life. After the Virginia quake the paper published a photo of an overturned lawn chair with the caption. We will rebuild. a reply to: Ektar

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's a video from CNN with viewer submitted pictures and video.

BBC reporting dozens injured in the Napa area with at least two seriously hurt.

edit on 24-8-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
CNN reorted 87 injured , 2 critical , fires and building damage...
I just loathe when people presume different magnitudes are not serious.....

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ujustneverknow

reporting in all fine here, didn't even know until my friend called...I said "what quake" I am in the san jose area....

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I hope all are okay and am glad that (while it was bad) it was not worse.

Prayers and well wishes for all those out that way.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is why I'm glad I got out of SF. Despite it being a total sewer like most cities it faces earthquakes. Granted it didn't strike there but still the thought of debris crumbling onto me wasn't appealing to me.

Now I'm moving to NYC, obviously the safest place in the world

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Below is the City of Napa Earthquake status report as of 7am , the site is slow to load for obvious reasons so I'll reproduce it here to save putting strain on the network.

A reported 6.1 earthquake hit the North Bay around 3:20am today.
It was centered between Napa and American Canyon. Status as of 6:30am: INJURIES: 87 patients have been treated or are being treated at Queen of the Valley Hospital. There are three major injury cases known at this time.

There are a dozen ambulances running with 10 more coming into service. Four mobile homes destroyed and two on fire on Orchard Avenue in north Napa. GAS LINES: Crews are responding to approximately 50 reported gas line breaks. WATER MAINS: There are approximately 30 water main leaks.

Both water treatment plants running, no damage. Some areas have no water due to main breaks and some areas no or low pressure. Water remains safe to drink. City crews are assessing infrastructure damage and damage to homes and other buildings. Historic Buildings damaged: • Sam Kee Laundry • Goodman Library • Napa County Courthouse At least two commercial buildings in the downtown area are also severely damaged.

SHELTERS: The Red Cross evacuation center has been set up in the Napa High School Gym. Drop boxes for debris will be placed at all public schools. The next briefing will be at 10am and an update will be posted here immediately afterward.

edit on 24-8-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex Never earthquakes in Denmark

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
My wife is out there on business...said it woke her up and the whole hotel was shaking. Freaked her out. She is in San Francisco. Flying home today. Hope that was not a precursor to a larger event.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hope all of our poster from the area & surrounding area are o.k.!! Stay safe....will be watching this thread for updates...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: ujustneverknow

reporting in all fine here, didn't even know until my friend called...I said "what quake" I am in the san jose area....

I stand corrected, my daughter the night owl just woke up and told me she felt it, felt like a sharp jolt...everthing fine here.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Got my tin foil hat on over here...

Was this a natural quake, or a HAARP induced one, or a Fracking one? Is there any info yet on the precursors to it? Much drilling done out there last couple months, or fracking? Just curious.

Called all my SFO folks and they are doing fine. No aftershocks from what they say.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
My brother in law lives in Fairfield. A suburb of SFO. We haven't called them yet. Do you know if it's nearby the epicenter ? We're going to call in a bit. It's about 8 AM there. A bit early for a Sunday morning call. Especially if they got woken up in the middle of the night. a reply to: BuzzCory

According to Google Maps, Fairfield is 13.15 miles from the American Canyon area, where the epicenter was:

I hope you will (or already have)find out that everyone there's okay.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Geology can impact the perceived intensity of an earthquake - a M4 in one place might feel much stronger in another place.

For example, a few years ago in Oklahoma, we had a M5.6 earthquake. It was felt hundreds of miles away - as far as Tennessee and Wisconsin. A tall courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri shook enough from the earthquake that they recessed the trial and fled. St. Louis is 400mi away from the epicenter of that quake. The quake corresponded to VIII on the Modified Mercalli scale near the epicenter:

VIII. Destructive - Damage slight in structures of good design, considerable in normal buildings with a possible partial collapse. Damage great in poorly built structures. Brick buildings easily receive moderate to extremely heavy damage. Possible fall of chimneys, factory stacks, columns, monuments, walls, etc. Heavy furniture moved.

To relate an anecdotal account - one of my father's employees grew up in San Francisco and moved out to Oklahoma 20 years ago or so, and the M3.0-4.0 quakes we've been having lately have scared her.

Comparatively, it appears that, from reports for this much larger earthquake, the MMI might be slightly lower - topping out at VII from DYFI reports or maybe the same at VIII judging by damage reports.
edit on 13Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:31:05 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago8 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
More of the same. No big deal for us from calif.

I have been through a large number of 5 plus Magnitude earthquakes in calif.
1952 Kern County Earthquake.
1952 Bakersfield Quake
1971 San Fernando (Sylmar) Earthquake
1992 Landers Earthquake
1992 Mojave (Garlock) Earthquake.
1995 Ridgecrest Earthquakes
1996 Coso Earthquake
1998 Coso Earthquakes

I no longer even get out of bed for the night time ones.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
my good friend lives in santa monica and i will give him a call in a bit and check that him, his new wife and his dog are okay.

6 is a serious quake, there's no messing around

calif is a VERY long state, santa monica is probably at least 400 miles away, they wouldn't feel it there, just like us northern calis don't feel it when they get one down their neck of the woods.

but good you care about your friends!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
More of the same. No big deal for us from calif.

I have been through a large number of 5 plus Magnitude earthquakes in calif.
1952 Kern County Earthquake.
1952 Bakersfield Quake
1971 San Fernando (Sylmar) Earthquake
1992 Landers Earthquake
1992 Mojave (Garlock) Earthquake.
1995 Ridgecrest Earthquakes
1996 Coso Earthquake
1998 Coso Earthquakes

Those are Southern California earthquakes. The loma prieta quake up here in Nor Cal, and this latest one today, were very strong and very long. Hardly the norm.

~$heopleNation

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join