It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama signs $8.7 billion food stamp cut into law

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Same decisions would be made no matter who won the election. The fact that you think if a Republican won things would be different is a joke lol

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Explain the racism and the ignorance for me.

"At least with a white POTUS, half of this mess would have been scrutinized with such a fine tooth comb it never WOULD HAVE HAPPENED." those were your words. If it wasn't meant to be racist then why even bring the presidents race into it? If you knew as much as you pretend to know then you would know that Obama is nothing but a tool just like Bush was a tool who was white btw and still did stupid things just like this black president. Anyone with half a brain knows this.

Quoting Dan added to my point about THE FUTURE. Now who's being ignorant and denying it? You may not like the man, but the fact that the MSM released a video of him saying that particular quote among others, should at least allow people a clue as to what is going on right under their nose. His arrogance gave a big clue into what TPTB have up their sleeve. Accept it or not, ITS HAPPENING.

If you needed that racist to tell you what is going on then you are blind. Many people some even in congress has been saying what TPTB have up their sleeve. But don't mind what I say just keep repeating the racist crap that nobody is spouting.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is old news, already dealt with. See previous replies for more. But seriously I don't like Obama as much as the rest but really there's more issues to deal with right now than reflect and divide.

The quote below the comments is cut for size.
In reply - originally posted by: Xtrozero

Those are questions that are pro GMO supporters use,time and again, but are non supporting to fact. Some replies have covered the questions, however this one needs attention:

Hunger throughout the world happens not because of a lack of GMOs, but because of Greed, and other factors.

One source:

MYTH: GE crops will end world hunger.
FACT: GE crops have nothing to do with ending world hunger, no matter how much GE spokespeople like to expound on this topic. Three comments give the lie to their claim:

FAO data clearly show that the world produces plenty of food to feed everyone, year after year. Yet hunger is still with us. That’s because hunger is not primarily a question of productivity but of access to arable land and resources. Put bluntly: Hunger is caused by poverty and exclusion.
continued...

See more

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

Is there ANY food that has not been genetically modified? I showed Indian corn as an example of non-GMO...

Also what is bad about GMO? Take golden rice that has been genetically modified so that it contains beta-carotene, the source of vitamin A. Lack of vitamin A is a huge issue in many parts of the world, so you are saying that if we provided the world this rice and cured the lack of vitamin A illnesses with it, it is not real food and so harmful?

Plant breeding is something humans have done since the first day of farming and is very time consuming and inaccurate. To take, lets say a gene from a drought resistance planet and put it into a crop plant to get that resistant please tell me how this creates bad food, when we could do the same with enough time by plant breeding?

One side note...we could not feed the world without GMO...

edit on 24-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: quote issues.

edit on 24-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I saw the date on the article, that isn't what I "meant". I meant that I really can't tell you what the hell Congress is doing from one moment to the next, everything they do is reported almost after the fact like these days...can't even catch a break on C-Span anymore as to what they are supposed to be doing on the clock.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IBossJekler

Same decisions would be made no matter who won the election. The fact that you think if a Republican won things would be different is a joke lol

If McCain had of won and did half of the things Obammy did it would be different. People would be more outraged. Think about it, the country was literally on the verge of dragging Bush out on his ass. Obammy "soothed everybody down". Had McCain won, and took that airhead Palin with him, best believe everything he did would be held with a fine tooth scrutiny comb, versus a free pass play by this current one.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Explain the racism and the ignorance for me.

"At least with a white POTUS, half of this mess would have been scrutinized with such a fine tooth comb it never WOULD HAVE HAPPENED." those were your words. If it wasn't meant to be racist then why even bring the presidents race into it? If you knew as much as you pretend to know then you would know that Obama is nothing but a tool just like Bush was a tool who was white btw and still did stupid things just like this black president. Anyone with half a brain knows this.

Quoting Dan added to my point about THE FUTURE. Now who's being ignorant and denying it? You may not like the man, but the fact that the MSM released a video of him saying that particular quote among others, should at least allow people a clue as to what is going on right under their nose. His arrogance gave a big clue into what TPTB have up their sleeve. Accept it or not, ITS HAPPENING.

If you needed that racist to tell you what is going on then you are blind. Many people some even in congress has been saying what TPTB have up their sleeve. But don't mind what I say just keep repeating the racist crap that nobody is spouting.

Congress may have been saying in, but in light of Ferguson, the fact that the man previously in charge was exposed, I think it makes the point more relevant than digging through years of archives of failed windbags slipping bits and pieces of PC information out, now doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Depends on where you are at, and even then, you are still regulated by local and/or state government. Senate Bill S520C passed on November 30, 2010 made it a felony for Americans to grow their own food. If they choose to enforce this, growing your veggies would give you a smuggling felony. Again, when I was in Chicago, the city was adamant about salting the backyards of the old folks who grew private gardens. Only on the north side in predominately white areas did you have a CoOp situation and it was a lot of money to get into it.

I think that is a far stretch on S520C...

We pick and chose where we want to live. Lots of land just outside the big city....

Not everybody picks and chooses where they can live. Most want NYC, but have you seen rent lately? Where you live at is literally based on opportunity and environment. This isn't the Desi Arnaz 1950s America anymore. Folks who are stuck in downtrodden areas are just that...STUCK. Not everybody has the means to up and follow jobs, I think the shutting down of the American industrial sector taught us that back in the 70s and 80s.

Fact is now, there are not enough jobs to go around period, so people are literally catch canning it.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

I saw the date on the article, that isn't what I "meant". I meant that I really can't tell you what the hell Congress is doing from one moment to the next, everything they do is reported almost after the fact like these days...can't even catch a break on C-Span anymore as to what they are supposed to be doing on the clock.

well i'm sure they don't know either.

that's why they pass things before they read them.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

This isn't the Desi Arnaz 1950s America anymore. Folks who are stuck in downtrodden areas are just that...STUCK. Not everybody has the means to up and follow jobs, I think the shutting down of the American industrial sector taught us that back in the 70s and 80s.

Fact is now, there are not enough jobs to go around period, so people are literally catch canning it.

And even stranger is the problem of continuous Democrat voting in many high crime/poverty areas.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoonBlossom

Quoted for truth. Stagnant money is stagnant money. Which is why I fail to see the rationale of folks who cannot step back, and see the bigger picture here.

The first people most affected by this are simply going to be the predecessors of the rest of us. If you don't stand up for them, it's like not standing up for yourself. :/

The Bigger Picture is clear for all to see in this Globalist Utopia they are creating.
The Big Money is stagnant from circulating in this country intentionally, though not in their pet project emerging economies.

I constantly see propaganda on how American's need to cut back and accept a lower standard of living so that we will be inline with the rest of the world.

Removing food stamps will force those that are working to seek more jobs and for those that do not have a job to look for one, adding to the labor pool, along with the wide open border illegals thus lowering the earnings potential even further for Americans on the bottom of the totem pole.

I recall Henry Kissinger being confronted about the New World Order and he said American's are Greedy, meaning they need to cut back for their Globalist Utopia to work.

The ones at the top pushing this will not be taking a pay cut though and if anything their wealth and their cronies will be soaring. They are the Greedy ones.
edit on 24-8-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProphetZoroaster
What about the billions still spent on useless defense resources? I'm sure you could cut much more than $8.7 billion from the defense budget.

Democrats and Republicans work for their own self-interest and for the benefit of corporate America.

"Defense" will not be taking a paycut, well the grunts will but not the major corporations. They need the tax payers to foot the bill to police their globalist utopia.
edit on 24-8-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreyGoo
It annoys me why they don't make cuts like this starting at the top with corporate benefits and such, it's sickening to me why when governments start trying to save money that they seem to go after the poorest in society first whilst the richest get a free for all.

That's true. Corporate benefits and trillions in defense spending is what's causing U.S to go bankrupt.

Its all part of the system. The only way to stop it is for the people to take down the entire government.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I am not well versed in food stamps or the amounts people get to really know what this impact will be, but I have seen at least 4 or 5 shows where a reporter will attempt to live off of them for a month or so and from everything that I have seen based on that for a single individual, food stamps do not provide that much money as it is, better than zero I guess if you have to have help, but what you can buy is lot of high fructose, starchy processed foods , ramen etc, that's it or dried and canned foods.

with 40-50million on some public assistance this sounds like a recipe for disaster if the economy does not heal enough to create jobs to offset that number by at least a few million.

Maybe I can help, I do get food stamps and have for a long time due to a disability. I also happen to work at a job, goto school to be productive despite my disability, and then work a second side job for no pay in order to expand my job skills. Single white male here, I get about $130/month in food stamps. It used to be $150/month but it was cut. 5 years ago it was $250/month. I just recently moved to my current town, prices are a bit higher than I'm used to but I believe they're lower than the rest of the country. I'm in southern Ohio.

I'll say up front that I am not a very good cook. I can make some simple means but that's all, furthermore I honestly do not have the time to cook so I don't make food from scratch. My last trip to the grocery store involved
2 pound bag Jasmine Rice ($3.50)
24 oz frozen cooked chicken chunks ($8)
24 oz frozen chicken strips ($8)
5 boxes various frozen vegetables ($5)
2 bags shredded cheese ($6?)
1 bag large flour tortillas ($2)
1 box chicken broth ($3)
2 cans green beans and potatos ($3)
1 bag noodles ($1.50)
3 packs baby carrots ($6)
1 pack celery ($1.50)
2 packages fat free ranch vegetable dip ($7)
10 bottles organic flavored sparkling water ($10)
1 box decaf tea ($3.50)

That comes to $68. What I get for that is about 1.33 cups of rice with 3 oz of chicken and half a bag of steamed vegetables (having a rice cooker is great). About 14 servings worth.

I also get a chicken noodle soup in my crock pot that's good for about 7 servings.

The leftover chicken makes quesidillas which are a nice dinner treat every now and then to break up the rice. I get 5 of those.

In addition to that I've got celery and carrots with veggie dip as a "healthy" snack option. One bag went to the soup but the other carrot bag and celery bag will last me probably 12 servings.

That's 38 total servings. I'm trying to eat twice a day so that's 19 days. Which works out well with what I've seen. I generally drink half a bottle of water and 2 bags of tea. All of which runs out at about the same time.

So from that I've got a meal cost of $3.40 per day or $111 per month. I always try to not use the full amount so the remaining $20 or so goes to savings.

Too high? Too low? I think I'm too involved to be objective about it but I can say that even though I try and eat reasonably healthy it has gotten harder and harder as the price of food goes up while benefits go down.

originally posted by: marg6043
What I don't understand is why cutting aid to the poor in the US while increasing the foreign aid of other countries, then the latest statistic shows that the welfare state has increased incredibly under the present administration by millions.

It makes no sense.

Because aid while given freely is also given with the expectation of preferable corporate contracts. Foreign Aid is just a socially acceptable way to subsidize corporate interests.

Make people hungry and when Hilary comes along in 2016 she will say that she will double food stamps...Obama said "everyone should have a house" and many thought Obama would get them a house when he became President.

They need doubled, and everyone should have gotten a house. Instead the banks repossessed them and have them sitting empty or in some cases totally dismantled. Considering what the banks did in 2008, them giving those houses back to the community is just the start of what should have happened.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I find it funny how the U.S can spend billions trying to police the world, yet fails to take proper care of its citizens given it's wealth and recourses... Oh and it can spend billions bailing out the bankers too but of course those struggling to pay for food should struggle some more! Bravo!
edit on 24-8-2014 by Kamza because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
I don't know which is worse in the op's post the racism or the ignorance. He blames Obama for everything but says nothing about the Republicans who are more than willing to let people starve. Also OP quoting a racist ahole like Sgt. Maj. Dan a nobody who dreams about killing people really doesn't help you any.

None of that is really the point though. Republicans will let you starve but if you have money the Liberals will take it and claim they are evenly dispersing it but instead invest it into their parties special interests via whatever lobbyist pays the most.

The truth is, the democrats are just fine with people starving too. JUST FINE. You're kidding yourself if you think that either party gives a damn about the average American when they make their political decisions, it is simply blow hard rhetoric to garnish support and votes if those even matter anymore.

The agenda continues on regardless of what side of the tyrannical isle holds the majority of power and believe me when I say neither of two give a toss about you or I.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven Yeah, but this perpetuates the problem and when it comes around again inflation gets worse. Lets just keep increasing minimum wage till its 100 dollars an hour. Collapse is inevitable. You have to knock a couple zero's off of everything and start over. Most of the jobs in this country is Administration jobs that puts nothing into the economy. A society cannot survive on admin jobs there has to be a product and workers to make the product, but we sold our souls to China. We need to cut ties and use our own resources and build our own products and not buy foreign products. This will force companies to come back to America. Something has to happen or this place is doomed.

edit on 25-8-2014 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: sean

It does not make sense to start at the bottom though especially when the majority of the wealth and income is held at the top 1%.

How much of an effect can it make cutting off someone making minimum wage vs people making 30 million a year.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
There are a lot of illegal immigrants to consider now,so everyone has to tighten their belt,doncha know?

“Everyone must sacrifice for the greater good"

edit on 073131p://bMonday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

This isn't the Desi Arnaz 1950s America anymore. Folks who are stuck in downtrodden areas are just that...STUCK. Not everybody has the means to up and follow jobs, I think the shutting down of the American industrial sector taught us that back in the 70s and 80s.

Sorry, but nobody is stuck anywhere. Maybe if they would save up their money, instead of buying frivolous material things to impress their friends, they could move to where the opportunities are. You know, $175 for some Air Jordans is a little ridiculous when you can get shoes for $30 that do the exact same thing, but won't impress your friends much. Might even get them made fun of, but anyone with drive to better themselves wouldn't care about that.

The simple fact of it is, WHY would they do that? When life on welfare, and food stamps is so care free, why would they WANT to take a risk?

That's what we conservative minded folks are screaming daily. you take away someone's motivation, and guess what? they are (SHOCK!) unmotivated.

Welfare was intended to be a crutch, not a permanent solution. Working in trade for social benefits is a great start in fixing this mess. I have known quite a few welfare recipients in my days, and most if not all of them have all said, in one way or another, "Why should I work, when the government supports me if I don't?"

If you do not believe this to be the case, you are part of the problem.

Yes, some folks do want to get out of poverty, and try to make a better life for them and theirs. But they are a minority who have been taught pride and self reliance by their parents. This is a lesson that the poor do not get at home anymore, except in these rare occasions.

No mention of race in this post, because this isn't a racial thing, it's a mentality thing We are fostering the wrong way of thinking with the way we endlessly support those unwilling to work and contribute something to society, other than a demand for more and more, for nothing.
edit on 25-8-2014 by poncho1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Well, gotta say, at least he has done one thing right.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join